The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. Alfred Giblin
Mr. Alfred Giblin, an old colonist, who resides at Whare-puki (a house on a hill), Te Hauke, Te Aute, was born in Essex, England, in the year 1848, and received his education in Warwickshire, under the Rev. John Townsend. He came to New Zealand in 1866, accompanied by his younger brother, in the s.s. “Kaikoura” — the first of the Panama line of steamers to call at New Zealand—and landed in Wellington. He originally booked his passage to the colony in the ill-fated steamer “London,” which sank in the Bay of Biscay, but owing to business complications, he fortunately missed the steamer. On landing, Mr. Giblin proceeded to Messrs Nelson Brothers' station at Arlington, Waipukurau, where he served a six months' cadetship, and was afterwards appointed manager of the same firm's Kereru station, where he remained for ten years. After two years spent in travelling, including a visit to England, Mr. Giblin returned to New Zealand, and took over the management of Mr. Carlyon's Gwavas station, at Tikikino, a position he retained for twenty-seven years. While at page 403 “Gwavas” he bought, in conjunction with the late Colonel Herrick, a station at Weber, of 5,300 acres, all dense bush country. Subsequently the partnership was dissolved, and a portion of the estate sold. Mr. Giblin's Weber property consists of 1,700 acres of freehold land, known as “Oporae” (so named after the mountain of that name, the highest point in Hawke's Bay), and is capable of carrying two sheep to the acre, and grazing upwards of 250 head of cattle. Mr. Giblin has served on the Tikokino Road Board, and is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and the Hawke's Bay Club, Napier. He was largely instrumental in working up the Hawke's. Bay pack of hounds to their present efficiency. Mr. Giblin married a daughter of the late Major G. G. Carlyon, in the year 1884.