The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Allen, Charles Richard, Cabinet-maker and Upholsterer, Emerson Street, Napier. Telephone, 89. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. This business was established in the year 1895, by the late Mr. C. R. Allen. The premises have a frontage of about sixty feet, and conttain a splendid assortment of high-class furniture, carpetings, and linoleums. A large business is also done in wire-woven mattresses, which are manufactured on the premises. Mr. Allen, founder of the above business, was born in London, England, and came with his parents to Napier in the year 1874. He learned his trade with Mr. Newman, and after having acted as his foreman for over six years, started in business on his own account. Mr. Allen was for some years leader of the Napier Orchestra, a member of the choir of St. Patrick's Cathedral, and a member of the Order of Oddfellows. He died on the 5th of January, 1901.
The Late Mr. C. R. Allen.
Mr. Herbert Shore, manager of the general cabinet-making and house-furnishing business conducted under the title of C. R. Allen, was born near Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England, and was educated at private schools. He was brought up in connection with the manufacture and sale of linoleums and carpets, and conducted a successful business on his own account at Holmfirth, near Huddersfield. Ten years later Mr. Shore sold out, and came to New Zealand.
Newman, Walter Mount, Furniture Warehouseman, Cabinet-maker, and Undertaker, Tennyson Street, Napier. This business was established in the year 1871, by Messrs Langley and Newman, in Hastings Street, and three years later was removed to Emerson Street, where it was conducted for thirteen years. In 1887 the present brick premises were erected in Tennyson Street. Mr. Langley subsequently died, and the business has since been conducted by Mr. Newman, with the assistance of his son. The ground floor of the premises contains a large show-room, sixty feet by seventy feet, which is entered by way of folding doors from Tennyson Street. A wide stairway leads to the first floor, which contains another well-lighted show-room, and at the rear of this there is a large work-room, used for manufacturing purposes. The show-rooms contain a large and varied assortment of general furniture, cabinet-ware, upholstery, carpets, linoleums, bedding, etc., which are so arranged that the purchaser can see at a glance the merits of the article offered for sale. Mr. Newman, was born in January, 1843, at Stratford, Essex, England, and was educated in his native place, and at Sidmouth, Devonshire, where he was apprenticed to the cabinet-making trade. He was subsequently employed for some years in London and Warwick, and in 1870 came to New Zealand in the ship “Electra,” and landed in Wellington. Mr. Newman shortly afterwards settled in Napier, where he established his present business.
Mr. W. M. Newman.
Nicholson, George, Cabinetmaker and Furnisher, Emerson Street, Napier. This business was established by the present proprietor in the year 1881, and is conducted in a two-storeyed building. The show-room, which is large and well-lighted, contains an excellent collection of high-class furniture, linoleums, and bedsteads. The goods are manufactured on the premises, and five competent workmen are employed. Mr. Nicholson does a large business, both in Napier and the surrounding districts. He was born at sea on the 18th of April, 1854, and came to New Zealand at an early age. He was educated at Wesley College, Auckland, and afterwards served an apprenticeship to the cabinet-making trade. In the year 1875 he settled in Napier, was employed for a few years by Messrs Large and Townley, and subsequently established his present business. Mr. Nicholson is a member of the Napier Lodge of Oddfellows, and for five years was a member of the Napier Rifle Volunteers.
Ritchie and Company, China and Glass Importers, Hastings Street, Napier. This business was conducted for many years by Messrs W. H. Worrall and Company, who sold out their interest in the retail business to the present proprietors in January, 1906, and subsequently the wholesale portion also to the same purchasers. The premises consist of a large two-storeyed brick building, measuring twenty-two feet by about page 380 130 feet. The retail show-room, which occupies the whole of the fore part of the premises on the ground floor, is about eighty feet deep, and is suitably fitted up for the display of stock. At the rear of this department is the wholesale show-room, offices, and packing roons, covering an area of some fifty feet by forty-five feet. The whole of the first floor is devoted to the large bulk stocks carried by the firm, who import largely from England and the Continent, and carry a varied and well-assorted stock of china, glass, and earthernware, electro-plated ware, lamps, enamelled ware, and numerous other lines in household sundries.
Mr. John William Ritchie, head of the firm of Messrs Ritchie and Company, was born in December, 1869, at Christchurch, where he was educated. In 1891 he removed to Wellington, where for some years he successfully carried on business in conjunction with his brother, latterly establishing the china and glass business on Lambton Quay, known as “The Crystal Palace.” In April, 1906, Mr. Ritchie sold out his interest in the Wellington business, in order to devote all his attention to the growing needs of his present business in Napier.
Mr. J. W. Ritchie.
The Universal Furnishing Company (A. H. Jones, proprietor), Emerson Street, Napier. This firm, which was established in the year 1902, maintains a stock of every requisite in household furnishings. The showroom, which is large and well lighted, contains an excellent collection of high-class goods. The manufacture of wire mattresses, bedding, and furniture is conducted on the premises. A specialty of the business is the complete furnishing of cottages, at a cost varying from £30 to £150.