Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]

Drapers and Clothiers

Drapers and Clothiers.

Blythe and Company, Drapers' and Clothiers, Emerson Street, Napier. This business was founded in the year 1872 by the late Mr. W. R. Blythe, who began in a small wooden shop on a part of the site occupied by the present commodious premises. Under his management the business prospered, and additions were made from time to time to the building and property. In 1902, however, the premises were rebuilt in brick, and they now extend from Emerson Street to Hastings street. The shop is in three divisions, each with a separate entrance, facing Emerson Street, with double plate-glass windows, in which the latest goods are displayed to the best advantage. These three divisions include the Manchester, dress, fancy goods, clothing, and mercery departments, with their respective allied lines. The show-room extends the full width of the building, is large and well lighted, and tastefully arranged. The furnishing and carpet departments and work rooms are at the rear, while the offices are situated between the main shop and the show-room. A handsome staircase leads to the first floor, which contains the fitting rooms, waiting-rooms, and millinery and dressmaking work-rooms. The tailoring department is conducted in Hastings Street, and is under the care of an expert tailor. The firm import direct from England, America, the Continent, and Japan, and carry a heavy stock, which is handsomely and tastefully displayed. Each department is managed by a capable and experienced assistant, and about ninety persons are employed. Up to the year of his death, in 1903, the business was under the direction of the late Mr. W. R. Blythe. The executors subsequently placed Mr. Simm in charge of the business, and to his capable management its great success is largely due. The high-class quality of the goods supplied, and the invariable courtesy extended to customers, have created a feeling of confidence and respect that will ensure the continued success of Messrs Blythe and Company.

Kirkcaldie and Stains, Limited, Drapers, Tailors, Habitmakers, Silk Mercers and General Outfitters, Lambton Quay, Wellington, and Hastings Street, Napier. The Napier branch of this business was established by Messrs Neal and Close in 1875, and was taken over by its present proprietors in January, 1897. The premises stand on the south-east corner of Hastings Street and Emerson Street, and consist of a large two-storeyed brick and wooden building, with an extensive frontage to both streets. The ground floor of the building is 213 feet in depth, and includes the haberdashery, silk, dress, cotton, muslin, linen, furnishing, glove, hoisery, lace and fancy, Manchester, gentlemen's clothing, and mercery departments. The large plate-glass windows are tastefully arranged with the latest goods. A wide stairway from the men's clothing department leads to the first floor, which comprises the dress-making, millinery, costume, jacket and mantle, underclothing, linoleum, carpet, and bedding departments. The dressmaking department is in the charge of an experienced dressmaker. The firm has a large country connection, and employs nearly ninety persons in Napier.

Mr. Rupert Louis Murray was appointed manager of the Napier branch of Messrs Kirkcaldie and Stains, in September, 1904. He was born in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, and was educated and brought up to the drapery trade in Launceston, Tasmania, where he served an apprenticeship under Mr. J. R. Rusden, of “London House.” Mr. Murray was subsequently employed by Messrs Osborne and Wright, of Burke Street, Melbourne, and Messrs A. Miller and Company, of Geelong, for whom he managed a branch business at Shepperton. Later he became manager of Mr. Bradley's business at Creswick, and three years afterwards accepted an appointment with Messrs Stephen and Son, of Burke Street, Melbourne. In 1898 he came to New Zealand, and after seven years in the Wellington house, as manager of the gentlemen's department, was appointed manager in Napier.

page 377

Martin, John, Merchant Tailor, Tennyson Street, Napier. Established 1873. Private address, Lucy Road. Mr. Martin, who claims to be the oldest-established tailor in Napier, was born in Kent, England, and in the year 1838 went with his parents to Tasmania, where he learned his trade under Mr. H. Cook, at that time a leading tailor in Hobart. He came to New Zealand in 1862, and landed at Auckland, where he remained a short time, then continued his journey to Napier, where he obtained employment as cutter with Messrs Newton and Irvine. In 1873 he started his present business, and soon established for himself a deservedly good name for the cut and finish of his work. A speciality of his establishment is that no machine work or girl labour is employed, none but good workmen who have learned their trade being engaged. His business connection includes the principal people in Hawke's Bay. Mr. Martin is married, and his sons assist him in the business.

Mr. J. Martin.

Mr. J. Martin.

The Napier Tailoring Establishment (Frederick Lee Derbyshire, proprietor), Emerson Street, Napier. This business was established by Mr. W. Dodds, who carried it on successfully for some time, and was acquired by Mr. F. L. Derbyshire in the year 1902. The shop is well stocked with first-class imported materials and a large plate-glass window serves to show off a varied assortment of up-to-date goods. The firm is well known for its reliable workmanship, and gives employment to ten persons.

Mr. Frederick Lee Derbyshire, proprietor of the Napier Tailoring Establishment, was born in February, 1876, in Auckland, where he was educated at the Beresford Street school. He afterwards learned the tailoring trade under Mr. Dodds, of Napier, and subsequently went to Wellington, where he was taught cutting by Mr. Paterson, of that city. Mr. Derbyshire then returned to Napier, and was employed by Mr. Dodds as his chief assistant for about three years. He subsequently took over the business, and has since conducted it on his own account. Mr. Derbyshire is the conductor of the Congregational Church choir, is vice-president of the City Football Club, and is a Freemason, and a member of the Order of Oddfellows.

The New Zealand Clothing Factory (Messrs Hallenstein Brothers, Limited, proprietors), corner of Hastings Street and Tennyson Street, Napier. Head office, Dunedin. The Napier branch of this well-known firm was established in the “seventies,” and was removed to the present premises in the year 1895. The building is a two-storeyed one, to which, owing to the increase of the business, extensive alterations have been made from time to time. The large show windows are tastefully dressed, and attractively display the variety of goods in stock. The business is divided into three departments, namely, the boys' and men's tailor-cut ready-made clothing, the mercery, hats and waterproofs, and the general footware department; and each of these branches is managed by trained experts. The boot and shoe department carries a large and well-assorted stock of colonial and imported manufactures, and the clothing department is stocked from the firm's Dunedin factory; the mercery, together with a number of lines in boys' clothing, is imported from the world's chief manufactories. Sub-branches have been established at Hastings, Waipawa, and Dannevirke, each being managed by capable men.

Mr. Henry Alexander Morison, manager of the Napier branch of the New Zealand Clothing Factory, was born in Wellington, and was educated at Te Aro public school and Wellington Technical College. He was afterwards employed successively by Messrs Thompson and Shannon, Mr. C. Smith, and the D.I.C. in Wellington, and subsequently removed to Dunedin under engagement as manager of the mercery department of the New Zealand Clothing Factory. He afterwards managed the clothing and tailoring department of the firm's Auckland branch. In February, 1896, he was promoted to the management of the Wellington branch, whence, seven and a-half years later, he was transferred, on promotion, to Napier.

Parker, T., and Company, General Outfitters, Hat and Cap Manufacturers, and Government Contractors, Masonic Corner, Hastings Street, Napier. This business, which was originally established by Messrs Burnett and Company in Emerson Street, was taken over by Mr. Parker in 1896, and shortly afterwards transferred to its present location. The premises consist of a handsome two-storeyed wooden building, the lower portion of which contains a shop and mercery department (with forty feet frontage), and the upper floor a hat manufactory and tailoring establishment. The latter floor has been enlarged and improved, and extends from Tennyson Street to Messrs Broad and Tristam's pharmacy. It has a fine show-room, and a cutting-room, and is well-arranged and fitted up. A large stock of gentlemen's mercery is carried, chiefly imported goods. Mr. Parker is agent for Welch and Margetson, and Virgor Middleton and Company, mercers; Lloyd, Attree and Smith, London; J. E. Mills, hatter; Arthur and Company, Stuart and McDonald, and Eadie, Ireland and Company, tweed and coating manufacturers; Hobson and Sons and S. Hess and Son, hatters' materials; and also Stetson's fur hats and Knox hats; Woodrow's, Christy's, Mills', Tress', and the Light and Cool hats. Messrs T. Parker and Company hold contracts for the supply of caps for railway officials throughout the colony; and the manufacture of riding breeches is a specialty. Twenty persons are employed by the firm.

page 378
Messrs T. Parker and Co.'s Premises.

Messrs T. Parker and Co.'s Premises.

Mr. T. Parker, the proprietor, is referred to as secretary of the Highland Society, and as Junior Warden of Lodge Scinde, No. 5, N.Z.C.

The Red House, Millinery, Dressmaking and High-Class Drapery Establishment, Hastings Street, Napier. This business was established in the year 1902 by the present proprietor, Mr. Edward Beecham. The premises consist of a two-storeyed brick building, with twenty feet frontage, and a depth of 120 feet. The ground floor carries a large stock of millinery, dress materials, and general drapery, and at the back of the shop there is an office and accommodation for bulk stock. The dressmaking department, where eighteen persons are employed, is situated on the first storey, and is in charge of a competent dressmaker. A large and well-selected stock is always held in each department of the business, and the connection extends throughout Hawke's Bay.

Mr. Edward Beecham, proprietor of the “Red House,” was born in the year 1857, in Dover, Kent, England, where he was educated. He was afterwards apprenticed to the drapery trade under Mr. Robert Rycroft, of London, with whom he remained for three years, and he subsequently worked for a short time at Peckham. In 1887 Mr. Beecham came to New Zealand, and joined the staff of Messrs Blythe and Company, of Napier, as assistant in their fancy department. He soon afterwards became manager of the firm, and held this position for over sixteen years. On severing his connection with the establishment, in 1902, he was presented with a gold watch by the proprietor and his staff. Mr. Beecham is a member of the Napier Bowling Club, and has the honour of being a Freeman of the City of London.

Bunting, photo.Mr. E. Beecham.

Bunting, photo.
Mr. E. Beecham.

page 379

Thomson, James Porteous, Draper and Importer, Emerson Street, Napier. P.O. Box, 24; Telephone, 220; private residence, Cameron Road; private telephone, 378. London agent, Mr. C. H. Doust, 103 Fore Street, E.C. This business was established in the year 1888, in Emerson Street. Ten years later forty-feet frontage was leased from the Union Bank of Australia, one of the best business positions in the town, and a handsome brick shop was built, and constructed to allow of a second storey being added. The business steadily increased, and in 1903 the present handsome building was erected at a total cost of £3,400. The shop and show-rooms are lined with choice New Zealand woods, and varnished to accentuate their beauty. A handsome staircase leads to the second floor. The shop is splendidly lighted with six Wade's patent skylights on the top floor, and six side-lights, twelve feet by six feet, on either side. To make the buildings fire-proof iron shutters have been constructed to run and cover the side lights at night, and these are worked by wheels and pulleys. The splendid up-to-date stock is displayed to great advantage, and throughout there is a go-ahead aspect of active business. Mr. Thomson is referred to as a member of the Napier Borough Council.

Mr. J. P. Thomson's Premises.

Mr. J. P. Thomson's Premises.