The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Edgar, John James
Edgar, John James, M.B., C.M., L.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., L.F.P.S., Physician and Surgeon, Saville Row, Tennyson Street, Napier. Dr. Edgar was educated at Glasgow and Edinburgh Universities. He obtained his first diplomas in 1896, and graduated M.B., C.M., in 1899. During his college course, he won two medals in anatomy, one in chemistry, and first-class honours in clinicial surgery, and afterwards received the appointment of Junior Demonstrator of Anatomy at the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh. For a short time subsequently he studied at St. Bartholomew's Hospital in London, and for about four years acted as locum tenens in various places. Dr. Edgar then practised for eighteen months in conjunction with the medical officer of health for the town of Maidstone, Kent. He made two trips to New Zealand as surgeon of the s.s. “Wakanui,” and finally, in 1901, settled in Napier, where he has since conducted a private practice. Dr. Edgar is honorary visiting surgeon to the Napier Hospital.