The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
On the register of newspapers for New Zealand stand the names of 209 publications, of which sixty-one are daily papers. Others are biweekly, tri-weekly, weekly, and monthly productions. The leading newspapers—which in some instances started as single sheets—have grown in size and circulation together with the centres from which they emanate. They compare very favourably with the Old World journals, alike in their presentation of the world's news, and their representation of the intelligence of the country. By every service utilised by the postal department these papers are distributed throughout the country districts, and, in addition, almost every township publishes a periodical of its own. Considering its size, its population, and its age, New Zealand is better supplied with newspapers than any other country in the world. In Napier the pioneer newspaper of the province, the “Hawke's Bay Herald,” commenced its career in 1857. Four years later the “Hawke's Bay Times” came into being, and existed until 1874. It was published by Mr. Harding, in Hastings Street, and was an advocate for land reform and temperance. In 1870 the “Napier Daily Telegraph” made its first appearance. The “Star” next appeared upon the scene, but its meteoric career lasted only for some six weeks. The “Evening News,” a liberal journal, finally succumbed after a strenuous life of some years. A Maori paper, known as the “Whaka Maori,” had a life of short duration. The only two surviving journals published in Napier have maintained an unbroken existence since their establishment. Both are Press Association papers, well conducted, and ably edited. The “Herald” is the morning newspaper, and the “Telegraph” is published in the afternoon.
“The Hawke's Bay Herald” is one of the oldest journals in New Zealand, and was founded while the district was still part of the province of Wellington. The rich lands surrounding Hawke's Bay, and for many miles inland, were being sold, and the revenue was being expended in Wellington, while Hawke's Bay was left practically roadless. This was most unsatisfactory to the settlers, and a movement for separation was inaugurated, the promoters of which keenly felt the need of a newspaper to assist them. Mr. James Wood, an Auckland journalist, was induced to start' the “Herald,” the first number of which appeared on the 24th of September, 1857. It was a very small sheet, issued weekly at first, but soon afterwards was published twice a week. Early in the year 1871, Mr. Wood ventured to issue a daily half-sheet, Mr. W. W. Carlile being appointed editor. On the 1st of April of that year the business was purchased from Mr. Wood by Mr. P. Dinwiddie (who had been for some time accountant to Mr. Wood), Mr. Carlile, and Mr. Morrison (head of the printing department). In 1878 Mr. Carlile sold out his interest to his partners, in the following year Mr. Morrison sold his share to Mr. Walker, and the style of the firm was then changed to Dinwiddie, Walker, and Company. The business was in 1886 turned into a limited liability company, Messrs Dinwiddie and Walker retaining large interests, together with their respective positions of business manager and editor. In December of the same year a disastrous fire occurred in Napier, and the “Herald's” premises and plant were, with many other properties in the neighbourhood, completely destroyed. The present handsome brick and stone premises were then erected at a cost of about £5000. There is a large plant suitable to all the requirements of the town and district. The quality of lithographic, job-printing, and book-binding work issued from the “Herald” office will compare favourably with that executed in much larger towns.
Mr. Peter Dinwiddie was born in Manchester, England, in the year 1838, and served an apprenticeship in the well-known export warehouse of John Pender and Company, the head page 364 of which firm was afterwards knighted for his services in connection with the establishment of the Eastern Cable Company. Mr. Din-widdie left Home on account of illhealth, and came out to New Zealand to join a brother who had been in business for some time in the colony. He arrived in Napier in October, 1863, and for a short time assisted his brother, Mr. John Dinwiddie, as accountant, and was for a period with Mr. Vautier Janisch, auctioneer and shipping agent. Subsequently he became accountant to Mr. Wood, proprietor of the “Herald,” which position he retained until 1871, when, in conjunction with Messrs Carlile and Morrison, he bought the property with which he has ever since been connected. During the native troubles Mr. Dinwiddie saw a good deal of service as a volunteer, and holds the New Zealand war medal. Mr. Dinwiddie has at various times been a member of the Napier Borough Council and Harbour Board, and takes a general interest in commercial matters. He is an ex-president of the North Island Bowling Association, and of the Napier Bowling Club, and still takes a great interest in bowling matters. He married the second daughter of Mr. John McKinnon, of Arapawanui, in 1872, and has four sons and four daughters.
Mr. William Dinwiddie, who has been Editor of the “Hawke's Bay Herald” since the year 1901, is a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand.
Mr. Richard Thomas Walker, sometime Editor of the “Hawke's Bay Herald,” was born' in Manchester, England, in 1854, and educated at Turton Hall, Yorkshire. He gained his journalistic experience in various English journals before coming to New Zealand, where he was first engaged an sub-editor of the “Evening Post,” Wellington. Mr. Walker died in 1901.
Mr. E. W. Knowles, the Proprietor of the “Daily Telegraph, comes of an old English family settled for many, generations in Kent. He was born in the year 1833, at Maidstone, Kent, England, where he was educated. Deciding to try his fortunes in a new country, he left England for New Zealand, landed in Auckland early in 1856, and commenced business in that city. In the following year he proceeded to Hawke's Bay, and from then till 1886 carried on in Napier a wine and spirit business. This he relinquished in the latter year, and he has since given his whole attention to the management of the “Daily Telegraph.” Mr. Knowles is an excellent and active business man, and his beautiful home and grounds on the hill overlooking the town and bay are well-known in the district. He has been connected with the Napier Gas Company from its inception, and was for some years its chairman; has been chairman of directors of the North British and Hawke's Bay Freezing Company, Limited, for about fifteen years; is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and is one of the directors of the Permanent Building Society. He married a daughter of the late Dr. J. J. Brown, of London, England, and has, surviving, one daughter, who is married to Mr. J. A. Macfarlane, manager of the Maraekakaho station and proprietor of “Ben Lomond” sheep run. Mr. Knowles is largely interested in sheep-farming, and is part owner of Waikareao station at Te Aute.
Mr. J. W. McDougall.