The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. Peter Dinwiddie
Mr. Peter Dinwiddie was born in Manchester, England, in the year 1838, and served an apprenticeship in the well-known export warehouse of John Pender and Company, the head page 364 of which firm was afterwards knighted for his services in connection with the establishment of the Eastern Cable Company. Mr. Din-widdie left Home on account of illhealth, and came out to New Zealand to join a brother who had been in business for some time in the colony. He arrived in Napier in October, 1863, and for a short time assisted his brother, Mr. John Dinwiddie, as accountant, and was for a period with Mr. Vautier Janisch, auctioneer and shipping agent. Subsequently he became accountant to Mr. Wood, proprietor of the “Herald,” which position he retained until 1871, when, in conjunction with Messrs Carlile and Morrison, he bought the property with which he has ever since been connected. During the native troubles Mr. Dinwiddie saw a good deal of service as a volunteer, and holds the New Zealand war medal. Mr. Dinwiddie has at various times been a member of the Napier Borough Council and Harbour Board, and takes a general interest in commercial matters. He is an ex-president of the North Island Bowling Association, and of the Napier Bowling Club, and still takes a great interest in bowling matters. He married the second daughter of Mr. John McKinnon, of Arapawanui, in 1872, and has four sons and four daughters.