The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
On the register of newspapers for New Zealand stand the names of 209 publications, of which sixty-one are daily papers. Others are biweekly, tri-weekly, weekly, and monthly productions. The leading newspapers—which in some instances started as single sheets—have grown in size and circulation together with the centres from which they emanate. They compare very favourably with the Old World journals, alike in their presentation of the world's news, and their representation of the intelligence of the country. By every service utilised by the postal department these papers are distributed throughout the country districts, and, in addition, almost every township publishes a periodical of its own. Considering its size, its population, and its age, New Zealand is better supplied with newspapers than any other country in the world. In Napier the pioneer newspaper of the province, the “Hawke's Bay Herald,” commenced its career in 1857. Four years later the “Hawke's Bay Times” came into being, and existed until 1874. It was published by Mr. Harding, in Hastings Street, and was an advocate for land reform and temperance. In 1870 the “Napier Daily Telegraph” made its first appearance. The “Star” next appeared upon the scene, but its meteoric career lasted only for some six weeks. The “Evening News,” a liberal journal, finally succumbed after a strenuous life of some years. A Maori paper, known as the “Whaka Maori,” had a life of short duration. The only two surviving journals published in Napier have maintained an unbroken existence since their establishment. Both are Press Association papers, well conducted, and ably edited. The “Herald” is the morning newspaper, and the “Telegraph” is published in the afternoon.