The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The intensity of social life in every country is mainly augmented or modified by climatic influences. The effort for existence is much more serious and strenuous in colder climes than under the sunny skies of this bountiful country; and it naturally follows that the temperament of the community enjoying these favoured conditions is beneficially affected. In New Zealand the time devoted to labour is less than in any other part of the civilized world, the average individual wealth is greater here than in any other country on earth, and the conditions of life generally are easier and more congenial. There is no aristocracy or leisured class in this colony, and there is no abject poverty or fawning servility. All- or practically all—are workers; hence, everyone is enabled to devote a fair amount of time to a favourite hobby or amusement, and the inclination for healthy sports and pastimes is encouraged and fostered. In Hawke's Bay, as elsewhere throughout New Zealand, every form of recreation is catered for, but the people of Napier have at their doors an additional asset in the inner harbour—a magnificent stretch of land-locked water, where aquatic pleasures are safely indulged in. In this section the various phases of social life in Napier are noted.
The Hawke's Bay Club is situated at the corner of the Marine Parade and Browning Street. The Club is a residential one, and the present handsome building was erected in 1906. Sir William Russell, Messrs R. D. D. McLean, J. H. Coleman, T. Tanner, and J. N. Williams are the trustees, and Mr. R. B. Mathias is honorary secretary and treasurer.
The Napier Club occupies new and commodious premises in Herschel Street. The building is of two storeys, in brick, and was erected in 1906. The club has a membership of over 100. There is an entrance fee of five guineas, and the annual subscription is five guineas for town members, and three guineas for country members. The officers are: Messrs C. B. Hoadley (president), D. A. Baxter (vice-president), C. J. Nantes (honorary secretary and treasurer).
Napier Working Men's Club . This club occupies a large site fronting Emerson Street, and extending to Dickens Street. The building is of two storeys, with an imposing frontage. On the ground floor is the library, newspaper room, billiard room, theatre, bar, and secretary's office. Upstairs there is a large reading and reference library room, several card rooms, a writing room, and a bar. The institution has had a successful career, is well managed, and has a membership of over 1,000. The library in connection with the club is the largest in Hawke's Bay.
Mr. Charles Philip Lound, Secretary and Librarian of the Napier Working Men's Club, was born in London, England, in the year 1850, and is the son of the late Mr. Thomas Lound. He was educated partly in London and partly in Auckland, where with his parents, he landed in 1859, from the ship “Harwood.” He joined the colonial forces, and served under Colonel Whitmore on both coasts of the North Island, and took part in the hunt after Te Kooti, and for about eighteen months he was sergeant in charge of the field hospital in the Patea district. Mr. Lound has been throughout his life more or less connected with bands and musical societies. Beginning as a member of the band of the Napier Rifles, he rose to be band-master, and has filled similar posts in the artillery and other bands. As a Freemason Mr. Lound is a member of Lodge Scinde, No. 5, N.Z.C., and he is both district secretary of the Ancient Order of Foresters and secretary of Court Sir Charles Napier. For many years he has been secretary of the Working Men's Club, the success of which is largely the outcome of his assiduity; and too much praise can hardly be bestowed upon him for the care and attention which have marked the execution of his many duties. In 1877 Mr. Lound married a daughter of the late Mr. R. Lawrence, of Taranaki, and has one son and one daughter.
Orders and Friendly Societies.
Lodge Scinde, No. 5, N.Z.C., was founded on the 7th of February, 1858, as Lodge Scinde, No. 419, I.C., but upon the establishment of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand it was decided to work under the new constitution. At Munn's Royal Hotel, at high noon, on the 2nd of February, 1858, the brethren then in Hawke's Bay met to consult concerning the proposed Lodge, and the meeting was attended, among others, by Messrs Michael Fitzgerald, John Alexander Smith, George Sisson Cooper, Edmund Tuke, Daniel Munn and Joseph Lucas Hodges, who became the foundation members. Mr. Michael Fitzgerald was the first Worshipful Master, and the Hon. J. D. Ormond, M.L.C., was one of the first trustees. The earlier meetings of the Lodge were held in an office, on the site now occupied by the Bank of New Zealand. In October, 1861, town section No. 124 was bought, on which a small wooden building was erected, but this hall was destroyed in the great fire of December, 1886. The present hall, in Tennyson Street, was erected in 1890, on the site of the old room, and in the interim the members had met in the hall of Lodge Victoria. Meetings of Lodge Scinde are page 352 held on the third Tuesday in each month. The officers of the Lodge for the Lodge for the year 1906 are, Messrs L. Freedman, W.M.; R. Bestall, I.P.M.; D. A. Baxter, S W.; T. Parker, J.W.; J. P. Thomson, Secretary; and T. W. Bear Treasurer.
Mr. Louis Freedman, Worshipful Master of Lodge Scinde, No. 5, N.Z.C., was installed in his present office in June, 1906. He was initiated into Freemasonry in this Lodge in 1899.
Mr. L. Freedman.
Mr. David Arthur Baxter, who was elected Senior Warden of Lodge Scinde, No. 5, N.Z.C., in June, 1906, was initiated in the same lodge in the year 1900. He is further referred to as manager of the Napier branch of the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, Limited.
Mr. D. A. Baxter.
Mr. Thomas Parker, Junior Warden of Lodge Scinde, No. 5, N.Z.C., is further referred to in connection with the Highland Society.
Mr. Joseph Henry Edmundson, Past Master of Lodge Scinde, No. 5, N.Z.C., was initiated in that lodge in 1897, and passed through all the chairs. He was born in India in February, 1875, and is the son of a major in the Indian Army. At the age of twelve years he came to New Zealand, and completed his education at the Christchurch and Lyttelton public schools. Mr. Edmundson was afterwards apprenticed to the cycle trade with the firm of Messrs Oates, Lowry and Company, of Christchurch, remained at head-quarters for about eight years, and in 1896 was appointed manager of the firm's Napier branch. This position he held until 1906, when he resigned in order to start in business on his own account. Mr. Edmundson is a member of the Napier Bowling Club.
Mr. J. H. Edmundson.
Lodge Victoria, No. 21, N.Z.C., which was established over thirty years ago, meets at the Masonic Hall, in Munroe Street, on the first Tuesday in each month, excepting December, when the installation ceremony is held on the second Tuesday. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs J. R. Dickson, W.M., W. A. Wilkie, S.W., J. Redshaw, J.W., R. Lucas, Secretary.
Mr. Joseph R. Dickson, Worshipful Master of Lodge Victoria, was initiated in the year 1899, in Lodge Duke of Albany, 2073, E.C., and passed through all the chairs in Lodge Victoria, Napier.
Mr. Henry John Bull, Past Master of Lodge Victoria, No. 21, N.Z.C., has been a Freemason for many years, and is a Past Master of the Victoria Royal Arch Chapter. He was born in Wiltshire, England, in the year 1862, and came to New Zealand at the age of five years. Mr. Bull was educated in Remuera, Auckland, and served an apprenticeship to the building trade under Mr. McColl, of Newmarket. For some years subsequently he conducted business on his own account, and late in the “eighties” removed to Napier. Two years later he was joined by his brother, the firm being known as Messrs Bull Brothers.
The Loyal Napier Lodge, No. 4596, of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, M.U., was founded in the year 1856, and meetings were first held in a lodge room at Onepoto Gully. Many years later, a property, situated at the rear of the Theatre Royal, was acquired, and the present hall was created. This building is of brick, with a central apartment fifty feet by twenty-five feet. The lodge has a membership of over 300. Over £150 is annually distributed by this lodge in benefits. The officers are: Messrs A. E. Bourgeois, N.G., F. G. Rolls, V.G., W. H. Gordine, G.M., Henry Bull, Secretary.
Mr. Albert Edmond Bourgeois, N.G. of the Loyal Napier Lodge of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, was born in Napier in the year 1882. He was educated partly by his father, and partly at the Napier district school—of which, in 1897, he was dux—and the Napier Boys' High School. Mr. Bourgeois afterwards joined the staff of the Tyser Line, Limited, and five years later entered the employ of Messrs Murray, Roberts and Company, where he is now (1906) on the staff of the wool and insurance department of the Napier branch. Mr. Bourgeois served as a volunteer for about five years, during which time he gained a special certificate at the Military School of Instruction, under Colonel Owen. He is also a member of the Napier Sailing Club.page 353
Mr. A. E. Bourgeois.
Mr. Henry Bull, who has been secretary of the Loyal Napier Lodge since 1896, was born in Auckland in the year 1872, and is the son of a builder. He was educated partly in Auckland and partly in Napier, having settled in the latter town with his parents in 1885. Mr. Bull afterwards entered the employment of Messrs Banner and Liddle, auctioneers and general merchants. This partnership was afterwards dissolved, and for five years subsequently he worked with Mr. Banner, who carried on the business on his own account. In May, 1902, Mr. Bull entered into partnership with Mr. A. L. D. Fraser, M.H.R., the firm being known as Messrs Fraser and Bull. Later, the firm bought out the business of Mr. Banner, and have since conducted a large insurance and general commission agency. Mr. Bull was for about nine years a member of the Napier Navals (since defunct), and has always closely identified himself with the social life of the town.
Mr. Thorvald Krogh, Past Provincial Grand Master, has been connected with the Lodge since the year 1874. He was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1848, and at twelve years of age went to sea, and served for some years successively in the naval and the merchant service. In 1872 Mr. Krogh came to New Zealand, and took up his residence at Port Ahuriri, which has continued to be his head-quarters. For some years he was engaged in coastal trading, and then established himself in business in Waghorn Street as an oil-skin maker, ironmonger, and general shopkeeper, with a varied stock adapted especially to the needs of a seaport. In conjunction with this business he has recently (1906) captained a lighter engaged in the local trade. Mr. Krogh is one of the oldest members of the Working Men's Club, and was for some years connected with the Port Ahuriri school committee and fire brigade.
Mr. Louis A. P. Krogh, Past Grand of the Loyal Napier Lodge, has been connected with the lodge for about ten years, and is its present auditor. He is the eldest son of Mr. T. Krogh, was born in the year 1880, and was educated at the Port Ahuriri school, of which he was dux in 1893. He then joined the commercial staff of the Napier “Daily Telegraph,” of which he is now (1906) advertising clerk. Mr. Krogh takes a keen interest in musical matters, and is a proficient pianoforte and banjo player. He is a member of the Napier Cricket Club, and secretary of the Hawke's Bay Homing Pigeon Society. For some years he was a member of the Union Rowing Club, the F Battery, and the Napier Guards. Mr. Krogh was also one of the principal promoters of the Hawke's Bay Sports Protection Society.
Sports, Games and Pastimes.
The Napier Sailing Club was established in the year 1891, with a membership of about twenty, and with Mr. G. H. Swan as its first commodore, In 1893 a shed was erected at Fisherman's Bay, which served the club for nine years, and in 1902 a valuable property of four acres, together with a substantial residence and a convenient jetty, situated on the Petane Road. Western Spit, was bought by the club. The original shed has been removed to the new site, the residence is to be converted into a club house, and about £100 is to be annually expended in the improvement of the property. The fleet consists of about fifteen yachts, and several privately-owned oil launches are used by the members. Fortnightly races are held in the inner harbour, and two races per season outside the harbour, and the trophies presented and competed for in 1905 exceeded £100 in value. The club has a membership of about eighty, and the annual subscription is one guinea. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs J. Vigor Brown (commodore), R. K. White (vice-commodore), F. W. Triggs (captain), D. Gillies (vice-captain), A. D. Brown (honorary secretary), and F. W. Triggs (honorary treasurer).
Mr. Francis W. Triggs. Captain of the Napier Sailing Club, was born in London, England, in the year 1861, and came to New Zealand at the age of eight years. He was educated at private and public schools in Christchurch, and afterwards learned the soft-goods trade with some of the chief warehouses in Christchurch and Wellington. He entered the employment of Messrs Archibald Clark and Sons in 1895, as country traveller in Hawke's Bay, and in 1901 was appointed manager of the firm's Napier branch. Mr. Triggs is a Freemason, and is a member of several athletic clubs. He joined the Napier Sailing Club in 1895, takes keen interest in the sport, and is also a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, Auckland. His yacht, the “Gondola,” is well known in Napier as a fast boat.
Mr. Duncan Gillies, Vice-Captain of the Napier Sailing Club, has held office since the formation of the club, and was for some time its captain. He was born in the year 1860, in Crinan, Argyleshire, Scotland, where he was educated, and subsequently served an apprenticeship to the boatbuilding trade. At sixteen years of age Mr. Gillies went to sea, in the merchant service. He arrived in Dunedin in 1888, and was employed during the following two years in the Union Steam Ship Company's vessels. In 1890 he joined the service of the North British and Hawke's Bay Freezing Company, Limited, at Port Ahuriri, where he is now (1906) in charge of the freezing chamber. Mr. Gillies is a member, and one of the founders, of the Hawke's Bay Highland Society.page 354
The Napier Rowing Club was founded about the year 1875, with Mr. Spencer Gollan, its present president, as one of its promoters. The boatshed was originally situated on the Tutaekuri river, where it was burnt down and re-built, and it was afterwards removed to the Whare-o'Maramu river. It is a wooden building, about fifty feet square, and is well fitted up as a boat shed. The club holds a yearly contest with Poverty Bay, and has successfully competed in other regattas. A ladies' club has also been formed, and has proved very popular. The fleet consists of one racing sculler, two “best and best” fours, two number eight clinker fours, three four-oared maiden clinkers, two clinker scullers, four pleasure boats, and about half-a-dozen pair-oars and double scullers. Officers for the year 1906; Messrs Spencer Gollan (president), C. D. Kennedy, R. D. D. McLean, W. J. Tabateau, and R. Lanauze (vice-presidents), J. H. Ferguson (captain), J. B. Cuthbert (vice-captain), E. F. Shirley (secretary), P. Foley (treasurer), and there is a committee of seven.
Mr. John Hamilton Ferguson, Captain of the Napier Rowing Club, has been connected with the club for many years. He was born near Takapau, Hawke's Bay, in the year 1872, and was educated at Wellington College, the Napier Boys' High School, and at Lincoln College, Canterbury. He then removed to Napier, where he has since been engaged in commercial life. Mr. Ferguson is an active member of many clubs, most of which have received his generous assistance. He is further referred to as a house, land, estate, insurance, and general agent.
Mr. J. H. Ferguson.
Mr. John Berry Cuthbert, who was elected Vice-Captain of the Napier Rowing Club in the year 1903, has been a useful member of the club for about nine years, and was for some time its treasurer, and a member of the committee. He was born in Napier in April, 1879, was educated at the Gisborne and Napier schools, and then entered the employ of Messrs Kennedy Brothers and Morgan, where he subsequently became a draughtsman. Mr. Cuthbert is a member of the Hawke's Bay Rowing Association, and is a delegate for several rowing clubs.
The Union Rowing Club was founded in the year 1876, with Mr. J. North as its first captain. The boat shed was originally situated on the Tutaekuri river, but was subsequently removed to Wellesley Road. It is a substantial wooden building, with an iron roof, and measures about ninety feet by thirty feet. The fleet consists of five four-oars, two convertible double-scullers, two single scullers, and three pleasure boats. The club holds a good racing record, and has acquitted itself creditably in interprovincial contests. It won the Couper Cup and the gold medal at Farndon Park, on Boxing day, 1905. The club has a membership of eighty, and the annual subscription is thirty shillings. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs William Nelson (patron), A. E. Eagleton (president), A. C. Barnes (captain), Walter Heifford (vice-captain), J. W. Cato (secretary), F. Simmonds (treasurer).
Mr. Alfred Charles Barnes, Captain of the Union Rowing Club, has been a member of the club for several years. He was born in Christ-church in the year 1867, and is a son of the junior partner in the contracting firm of Messrs Newton and Barnes. Mr. Barnes was educated at the public schools in Christchurch and Oamaru, and was apprenticed to the grocery trade. After spending a few years in that employment in South Canterbury and North Otago, he removed to Napier, and took over the Caledonian Hotel. Mr. Barnes has been president of the City Football Club, secretary of the Hawke's Bay Amateur Rowing Association, representative for the New Zealand Amateur Rowing Association and the New Zealand League of Wheelmen, and a member of the Hawke's Bay Rugby Union.
The Napier Amateur Swimming Club was established about the year 1893, with Messrs A. E. Eagleton, J. M. Hamilton, F. Moeller, and G. H. Swan among its promoters. For some years practices and contests were held in the open sea, but later the White Swan Swimming Baths were used for training and racing purposes. The Club has, at various times, been successfully represented at Christchurch, Wellington, and Wanganui; and swimming races are held at the annual sports, when cups and other trophies presented to the club are competed for. There is a membership of about thirty. Mr. W. G. Atack, a well-known Christchurch journalist, has for some years rendered valuable service to the club as delegate to the New Zealand Amateur Swimming Association. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs R. D. D. McLean (patron), Frank Moeller (president), T. S. Roulston (captain), H. W. Allan (deputy-captain), A. E. Eagleton (secretary and treasurer).
Mr. Thomas Sinclair Roulston, who has been Captain of the Napier Amateur Swimming Club continuously for about six years, has held office since the inception of the club. He received his education at the Napier District School, and later at the Napier Boys' High School. In 1896 he entered the office of Messrs Cotterill and Humphries, barristers and solicitors, where he is still (1906) employed. Mr. Roulston is treasurer of the Scinde Football Club, and was one of the representative members of the Napier Rowing Club.page 355
Mr. T. S. Roulston.
The Greenmeadows Bowling Club was founded in the year 1902, with Messrs R. Currie, E. H. Ricketts, E. Crowley, J. K. Martin, J. C. Grubb, and D. A. Pilmer among its premoters. It is registered with the unclassified associations, and is affiliated to the Northern Bowling Association. The Bowling green is situated at Greenmeadows, and was bought by the club from Mr. Butcher at a figure greatly beneath its value. It is laid out to accommodate four rinks, but its area is now (1906) increased to nearly one acre, in order to afford room for eight rinks and a ladies' tennis court. In the first year of its existence the club was represented at Auckland, and in the second year at Gisborne, where they were “runners up” for the trophy. In 1906 the club won six games out of nine in Wellington, and secured second place for the points prize; in inter club shield matches, also, they have taken a creditable place. There is a membership of fifty-three. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs H. F. Butcher (patron), J. J. Niven (past president), C. W. Badley (president), F. G. Smith (vice-president). Robert Currie (secretary and treasurer).
Mr. Robert Currie, Secretary and Treasurer of the Greenmeadows Bowling Club, was one of the principal promoters, and represents the club in its inter-provincial contests.
The Napier Golf Club was founded in the year 1896, with Mr. W. Dymock as its first president, and Mr. G. M. Morris as its first captain. The links are situated at Waiohiki, about seven miles south-west from Napier, and consist of 155 acres, leased from the Maoris. The ground is level and undulating, and is claimed to be one of the best golfing links in the colony. The course is an eighteenhole one, and takes about three hours in the playing. The Maoris take a keen interest in the games, and one member, Kurupo Tareha, held the New Zealand Championship for the year 1903. The club has been successful in inter-provincial contests, and holds the Wilson Cup. There is a membership of nearly 200; the entrance fee is one guinea, and there is an annual subscription of two guineas. A pavilion has been erected, and a caretaker is employed; the services of a professional player are also at the disposal of the club. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs F. L. Gordon (president), C. D. Kennedy (vice-president), G. M. Morris (captain), J. T. Cato (secretary and treasurer).
The Hawke's Bay Rugby Football Union is affiliated to the New Zealand Rughy Football Union, and its functions are to act as a board of directors over the football affairs of the province, to settle disputes, arrange inter-provincial matches, and generally to supervise and protect the game. It consists of twenty-two members; including two delegates from each of the seven local football clubs, and two members from each of the four sub-unions, which have their centres respectively in Hastings, Waipawa, Dannevirke, and Porangahau; these, sub-unions act as local management committees. The management committee of the Union meets weekly, throughout the season. The officers of the Union are: Messrs F. Logan (president), E. P. Smyrk (chairman), J. P. Fortune (secretary), A. McCarthy (treasurer).
Mr. Joseph Patrick Fortune was appointed Secretary and a member of the management committee of the Hawke's Bay Rughy Football Union in the year 1902, and has been for many years a member of the City Football Club. He was born in Auckland in the year 1877, and was educated at the Napier Grammar School, and at St. Patrick's College, Wellington. Mr. Fortune then entered the employ of Messrs Cranby and Sidey, of Napier. Later, he joined the staff of the Napier Harbour Board, and in 1902 was appointed delivery clerk at the Board's sheds at the breakwater. Mr. Fortune is a member of the Unión Rówing Club, and of the Napier Lodge of Oddfellows.
The Napier Cricket Club, also known as the Wednesday Afternoon Club, from the fact that it is the only cricket club that plays on that day, came into existence owing to the change the Scinde Cricket Club made in playing their practice matches on Saturday instead of on Wednesday. The majority of the members of the Napier Club were formerly connected with the Scinde Club, but Wednesday, being the weekly half-holiday in Napier, was found to be a more convenient day for play. For some time the seceding body of Wednesday players retained their connection with the old club, but in October, 1905, a new and separate club was organised under the present title, with Messrs J. W. Boyce, H. McDougall, L. Krogh, J. Browne, H. Pirie and S. Lyndon among its, promoters. It is divided into three elevens, known respectively as A, B, and C, and has been fairly successful in matches. There is a membership of forty-two, and the annual subscription is fifteen shillings. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs J. Vigor Brown (president), F. Moeller, J. Ross, W. Simm and M. Lascelles (vice-presidents), J. W. Boyce (captain), S. Lyndon (secretary), H. McDougall (treasurer).
Mr. John William Boyce, Captain of the Napier Cricket Club, was born in the year 1877, at Maidstone, Kent, England, where he was educated, and learned the tailoring trade. In 1893 he went to Victoria, Australia, where he was employed at general work for about seven years. He finally came to New Zealand, landed at Lyttelton early in January, 1900, and after a varied twelve months' experience he went to Wellington, where he entered the employment of Messrs Osborne and Baker, and afterwards that of Messrs Kirkealdie and Stains. During his employment with the latter firm he made a thorough study of his trade, and became an assistant cutter. In April, 1903, he received the appointment of cutter for Messrs Blythe and Company, of Napier, and has won the reputation of being a skilful tailor. Mr. Boyce is a member of the St. Paul's Church Gymnasium, and was formerly a member of the Napier Rowing Club and the Napier Sandow School.
The Hawke's Bay Metropolitan Jockey Club, founded in the “sixties,” is one of the oldest and most prosperous of New Zealand racingg clubs. The course, which is situated within the Hastings borough, is one of the prettiest in Australasia. It has an area of ninety acres, embraces a pretty lake, page 356 and is sheltered by a ring of ornamental pines. It is the freehold property of the club, and is valued at £20,000. At all times the course is open to the public as a recreation ground. The tracks are good, and well looked after, and used much for training purposes. There is a fine two-storeyed grand stand, 120 feet by 60 feet, an up-to-date stewards' stand, and other necessary appointments. A totalisator was bought in October, 1901, and is worked by the club's officials; at the end of the first twelve months it had returned a handsome profit, amounting to over £300 in excess of the working expenses. The club has a membership of 250, the 'subscription for which is three guineas per annum, and the fee for horses in training, two guineas per annum. Four race meetings are held annually, for two days on each occasion, all of which are very largely attended. There are two old-established classic events, namely, the Hawke's Bay Guineas, founded in 1880 for three-year-olds, and the Hawke's Bay Stakes for two and three-year-olds, established in 1896; a recent innovation is the Hastings Stakes for two-year-olds. The Steeplechase, founded in 1879, is one of the principal events of the winter meeting, and the Hawke's Bay Cup (run at the autumn meeting) is also another attractive event. The stakes, which have recently been considerably increased, amount to over £6000. Officers of the club: Sir William Russell (president), Hon, J. D. Ormond, M.L.C., and Mr. George Hunter (vice-presidents), Mr. G. L. Sunderland (treasurer), and Mr. W. J. Stratton (secretary). There is also a managing committee of ten.
Mr. William John Stratton, who has been secretary of the Hawke's. Bay Metropolitan Jockey Club since the year 1902, was born in London, England, in January, 1872. He was trained as an accountant, and was for seven years in the employ of Messrs Cassells, the well-known publishing firm. In 1892 he came to New Zealand, and for a time was employed at New Plymouth. Mr. Stratton subsequently held an appointment as clerk of works to the Southland Meat Company at Mataura, and then settled in Christchurch for a short time. In 1897 he went to the Old Country, and entered the office of the Royal Insurance Company in London, but in the following year he returned to New Zealand, settled in. Hastings, and took up journalistic work. Soon afterwards Mr. Stratton started in business as an accountant, in which he has been successful, and he holds a number of secretaryships. Whilst resident in Christchurch Mr. Stratton went to Australia as a representative swimmer, and during his residence in Hastings he has taken an active part in social life.
The Napier Park Racing Club was founded about twenty years ago, with Messrs John Close, J. Mc Vay, G. H. Swan, and John Bennett among its promoters. The racecourse, which is controlled by the Napier Park Company, consists of some ninety acres, situated at Green meadows. This was at first rough and irregular country, but the expenditure of large sums of money has made it a capital course. There are three stands on the course, the grand stand, a small public stand, and the stewards' stand. The grand stand, which is claimed to be the best and largest of its kind in the province, includes apartments for the use of the secretary, the officers, and the jockeys. Three race meetings are held annually, in March, June, and October respectively. There is a membership of 160, and the annual subscription is two guineas. Committee meetings are held monthly, and the officers of the club are elected annually. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs John McVay (president), J. Vigor Brown (vice-president), Percy Martin (judge), J. Chadwick (handicapper), S. E. Cooper (time-keeper), James Lopdell (clerk of the course), A. G. Wood (starter), F. G. Smith (clerk of the scales), and J. E. Gleadow (secretary).
The Hawke's Bay Highland Society was established in the year 1894, with the object of encouraging the cultivation of Highland and Scotch literature, music, and games; to perpetuate the Gaelic language; and “to take cognizance of all matters which may be considered of special interest to Scotchmen.” It is controlled by a council of management consisting of the chief, three chieftains, a secretary and treasurer, and seven members of the committee. Meetings are held on the first Friday in May, June, July, and August; on the second night of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society's show, on the evening of St. Andrew's Day, and on the evening of the 25th of January (Burns' Anniversary). At these meetings harmony is indulged in, matters of general interest are discussed, and a paper is contributed by one of the members. Sports are annually held. The ordinary yearly subscription is 10s, for honorary members £1 1s, for honorary life members £5 5s. Officers for 1906–1907: Messrs R. D. D. McLean (chief), J. Neilson, H. Mc. Kenzie and J. McLean (chieftains), J. Alexander, J. McKay. J. R. McRae, J. Webster, J. P. Thomson, P. S. McLean, and R. Yuill (councillors), T. Parker (secretary and treasurer), J. H. Martin (choir-master), W. Scott (librarian).
Mr. Hector McKenzie, one of the Chieftains of the Hawke's Bay Highland Society, was formerly a member of the Caledonian Society, and afterwards assisted in the formation of the present body, of which he has been a member of the Executive Council since its inception. He is the eldest son of Mr. Hector McKenzie, a farmer on the Hill of Fortrose, Ross, Scotland, an ancient seat of the McKenzie Clan. He was page 357 educated at the Royal Academy, in Fortrose, and afterwards learned the trade of carpentry. As a young man he left Scotland, under contract to the South African Government, and after working for two years on the South African railway works, came to New Zealand, and landed in Dunedin. Soon afterwards he removed to Hawke's Bay, and since 1891 has been continuously in the employ of Messrs Bull Brothers, of Port Ahuriri.
Mr. H. McKenzie.
Mr. John Neilson, who has been one of the Chieftains of the Hawke's Bay Highland Society since 1902, is one of the original members of that body, and for many years held office both as a councillor and as choir-master. He was born in February, 1853, at Coatbridge, situated about eight miles from Glasgow, in Scotland. In the year 1877 he came to New Zealand, and made the latter part of the voyage in the s.s. “Tararua.” For the first ten years Mr. Neilson was engaged in business as a jeweller at Waimate, South Canterbury, and late in the “eighties” removed to Napier, where he bought the old-established watchmaking and jewellery business formerly conducted by Mr. V. Jensen, in Emerson Street. Mr. Neilson is vice-president of the Napier Harmonic Society, and has always taken an active part in musical matters.
Bunting, photoMr. J. Neilson.
Mr. James Harry Martin, Choir-master of the Hawke's Bay Highland Society, belongs, on the maternal side to the Mackay clan, and although colonial born is a most enthusiastic Highlander. He is the second son of Mr. John Martin, the oldest-established tailor and woollen merchant in Napier. He went to England to study cutting, and, having gained a first-class diploma at a cutting academy, now assists in the firm in a practical manner. Mr. Martin has always taken a great interest in music, and has been a member of the various musical societies that have been formed in Napier; he has represented his province in inter-provincial cricket matches all over New Zealand, and he holds a commission in the 3rd. Battalion (East Coast) Wellington Rifle Volunteers, being captain of the Napier Rifles.
Bunting, photoMr. J. H. Martin.
Mr. Thomas Parker, Secretary of the Highland Society, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in the year 1867, and was educated at Beith. He subsequently joined the staff of the Clydesdale Bank, and five years later was transferred to the head office at Glasgow, where he remained for seven years. Mr. Parker came to New Zealand in 1894, and finally settled in Napier. He is further referred to as a general outfitter, and hat and cap manufacturer, and as Junior Warden of Lodge Scinde, No. 5, N.Z.C.
The Napier Dramatic Students, a society formed with the object of cultivating local dramatic talent, and for purposes of public entertainment, was founded in the year 1901, with Mr. G. A. Broad and Mrs Edgar among its principal promoters. Their first play was “The Magistrate,” which was staged in the Theatre Royal in October, 1904, and drew a crowded house, and this was followed soon after by “Liberty Hall,” and “One Summer's Day,” which were equally meritorious, and met with unqualified success. page 358 The proceeds of the society are devoted to charitable purposes. Several locally-trained actors of acknowledged ability are connected with the organisation, including Mr. A. E. Renouf.
The Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society was founded in the early days of the provincial settlement, and Messrs J. H. Coleman, G. P. Donnelly, R. D. D. McLean, J. N. Williams, J. H. Williams, and Thomas Tanner were among its chief promoters. The show ground comprises thirty acres of rich level land, situated in the borough of Hastings adjoining the township. It is one of the finest show grounds in the colony, and possesses a large and handsome grand-stand, two produce sheds, poultry and dog stands, and a full complement of yards. There are also luncheon and afternoon tea rooms, fitted up with every convenience. Two shows are held annually, known respectively as the spring and autumn shows, and rank among the finest and most successful agricultural and pastoral exhibitions in Australasia. The attendances on these occasions is invariably large. The executive committee meets on the first Friday in each month, and the annual meeting for the election of officers takes place in June, at the Society's rooms in Tennyson Street, Napier. There is a membership of 1,050, and the annual subscription is £1. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs N. Kettle (president), A. H. Russell (vice-president), G. S. V. Wenley (treasurer), and Charles Douglas (secretary). There is also a general committee of twenty four.
Mr. George Home Monro, formerly secretary of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, is the youngest son of Mr. George Home Binning Monro, who was a nephew of the late Sir David Monro. He was born in the year 1880 on the “Valleyfield” Station, in Marlborough, of which his father was manager for a time, and was educated at Wanganui College, and afterwards at Dover College, in England. In 1897 he returned to New Zealand, and was employed in the firm of Messrs Williams and Kettle until 1901, when he resigned his position as assistant stock agent to accept the appointment of secretary to the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society. Mr. Monro was a member of the Napier Golf Club, the United Cricket Club, the Napier Sailing Club, and the Napier and Hastings Clubs. He is now (1906) farming in Marlborough.
The Napier Holiday Association was founded in September, 1896, with the late Mr W. R. Bly the as its first chairman, and Mr. A. H. Wilson as its first secretary. It was formed for the purpose of settling matters relating to and fixing holidays to be obseved in the town, and practically all the business people of standing in Napier are members of the association. There is a subscription of 2s per member per annum. The annual meeting is held in July, when officers are elected. Mr. William Simm is chairman, and Mr. J. R. Crerar is secretary.
Mr. William Simm, Chairman of the Napier Holiday Association, was born in the year 1869 in Glasgow, Scotland, where he was educated at the Bellahouston Academy, and was afterwards apprenticed to the soft goods trade with Messrs Smith, Sons, and Laughland. In 1883 he came to New Zealand, and for twenty-two years was continuously employed at Te Aro House, Wellington, of which he subsequently became assistant manager. He resigned this appointment in March, 1905, in order to succeed the late Mr. S. Blythe, as manager of the drapery and furnishing warehouse of Messrs Blythe and Company, of Emerson Street, Napier. Mr. Simm takes a keen interest in athletics, and is vice-president of the Napier Rowing Association and the Hawke's Bay Cricket Association; he is also an active member of the Hawke's Bay Caledonian Society, and of the Napier Bowling Club.
Mr. W. Simm.
The Hawke's Bay Kennel and Poultry Club was established on the 10th of October, 1897, under the title of the Hawke's Bay Kennel Club. Its chief promoter was Mr. Hugh McDonald, who called a meeting at the Occidental Hotel, in Napier, which was attended by Messrs H. M. McDonald, Thomas Parker, A. E. Stanton, S. E. Harrop, and J. T. Healey. Six months later the present secretary was elected to manage the business affairs of the organisation, and from that date the real prosperity of the club began. Its title was changed to the Hawke's Bay Kennel and Poultry Club, and Mr. Paul Hunter, who has held the office continuously since, was elected president. The first show was held in the year 1898, when the club was indebted to Mr. J. Vigor Brown for the free use of the Theatre Royal. The meeting was a great success, and left a credit balance on the books of the club. In the following year the Theatre Royal was found to be too small to accommodate the numerous entries, and the Drill Hall, which has since been used for show purposes, was called into requisition. In 1902 it was found necessary, owing to the rapidly-increasing number of entries, to procure dog divisions and poultry pens, and the total cost of these, £130, was raised on debentures; but this debt is now (1906) almost cleared. The club's property in dog divisions and pens is stored in the rooms of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society at Hastings. An annual show is held at the Garrison Hall in the month of July, and is one of the best of its kind in the colony. Entries are received from all parts of New Zealand; the prizes are numerous and attractive, and the management of the show reflects great credit upon the officials. The benching of the dogs is on the same principle as that adopted at the Crystal Palace, London; namely, on raised platforms, eighteen inches high, and five feet wide, thus giving the animals ample room for exercise. The poultry and pigeous are exhibited in the “double-decker” style. The club has achieved signal success in the improvement of the breeding and classification of dogs. The membership of the club is about eighty, and the officers for the year 1906 are: Messrs R. D. D. McLean, J. H. Coleman, G. Hunter, and Dr. Bernau (patrons), Mr. Paul Hunter (president), twelve vice-presidents, and Mr. W. A. Smith (secretary and treasurer).