The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Napier Holiday Association was founded in September, 1896, with the late Mr W. R. Bly the as its first chairman, and Mr. A. H. Wilson as its first secretary. It was formed for the purpose of settling matters relating to and fixing holidays to be obseved in the town, and practically all the business people of standing in Napier are members of the association. There is a subscription of 2s per member per annum. The annual meeting is held in July, when officers are elected. Mr. William Simm is chairman, and Mr. J. R. Crerar is secretary.
Mr. William Simm, Chairman of the Napier Holiday Association, was born in the year 1869 in Glasgow, Scotland, where he was educated at the Bellahouston Academy, and was afterwards apprenticed to the soft goods trade with Messrs Smith, Sons, and Laughland. In 1883 he came to New Zealand, and for twenty-two years was continuously employed at Te Aro House, Wellington, of which he subsequently became assistant manager. He resigned this appointment in March, 1905, in order to succeed the late Mr. S. Blythe, as manager of the drapery and furnishing warehouse of Messrs Blythe and Company, of Emerson Street, Napier. Mr. Simm takes a keen interest in athletics, and is vice-president of the Napier Rowing Association and the Hawke's Bay Cricket Association; he is also an active member of the Hawke's Bay Caledonian Society, and of the Napier Bowling Club.
Mr. W. Simm.
The Hawke's Bay Kennel and Poultry Club was established on the 10th of October, 1897, under the title of the Hawke's Bay Kennel Club. Its chief promoter was Mr. Hugh McDonald, who called a meeting at the Occidental Hotel, in Napier, which was attended by Messrs H. M. McDonald, Thomas Parker, A. E. Stanton, S. E. Harrop, and J. T. Healey. Six months later the present secretary was elected to manage the business affairs of the organisation, and from that date the real prosperity of the club began. Its title was changed to the Hawke's Bay Kennel and Poultry Club, and Mr. Paul Hunter, who has held the office continuously since, was elected president. The first show was held in the year 1898, when the club was indebted to Mr. J. Vigor Brown for the free use of the Theatre Royal. The meeting was a great success, and left a credit balance on the books of the club. In the following year the Theatre Royal was found to be too small to accommodate the numerous entries, and the Drill Hall, which has since been used for show purposes, was called into requisition. In 1902 it was found necessary, owing to the rapidly-increasing number of entries, to procure dog divisions and poultry pens, and the total cost of these, £130, was raised on debentures; but this debt is now (1906) almost cleared. The club's property in dog divisions and pens is stored in the rooms of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society at Hastings. An annual show is held at the Garrison Hall in the month of July, and is one of the best of its kind in the colony. Entries are received from all parts of New Zealand; the prizes are numerous and attractive, and the management of the show reflects great credit upon the officials. The benching of the dogs is on the same principle as that adopted at the Crystal Palace, London; namely, on raised platforms, eighteen inches high, and five feet wide, thus giving the animals ample room for exercise. The poultry and pigeous are exhibited in the “double-decker” style. The club has achieved signal success in the improvement of the breeding and classification of dogs. The membership of the club is about eighty, and the officers for the year 1906 are: Messrs R. D. D. McLean, J. H. Coleman, G. Hunter, and Dr. Bernau (patrons), Mr. Paul Hunter (president), twelve vice-presidents, and Mr. W. A. Smith (secretary and treasurer).