Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]

Sports, Games and Pastimes

Sports, Games and Pastimes.


The Napier Sailing Club was established in the year 1891, with a membership of about twenty, and with Mr. G. H. Swan as its first commodore, In 1893 a shed was erected at Fisherman's Bay, which served the club for nine years, and in 1902 a valuable property of four acres, together with a substantial residence and a convenient jetty, situated on the Petane Road. Western Spit, was bought by the club. The original shed has been removed to the new site, the residence is to be converted into a club house, and about £100 is to be annually expended in the improvement of the property. The fleet consists of about fifteen yachts, and several privately-owned oil launches are used by the members. Fortnightly races are held in the inner harbour, and two races per season outside the harbour, and the trophies presented and competed for in 1905 exceeded £100 in value. The club has a membership of about eighty, and the annual subscription is one guinea. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs J. Vigor Brown (commodore), R. K. White (vice-commodore), F. W. Triggs (captain), D. Gillies (vice-captain), A. D. Brown (honorary secretary), and F. W. Triggs (honorary treasurer).

Mr. Francis W. Triggs. Captain of the Napier Sailing Club, was born in London, England, in the year 1861, and came to New Zealand at the age of eight years. He was educated at private and public schools in Christchurch, and afterwards learned the soft-goods trade with some of the chief warehouses in Christchurch and Wellington. He entered the employment of Messrs Archibald Clark and Sons in 1895, as country traveller in Hawke's Bay, and in 1901 was appointed manager of the firm's Napier branch. Mr. Triggs is a Freemason, and is a member of several athletic clubs. He joined the Napier Sailing Club in 1895, takes keen interest in the sport, and is also a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, Auckland. His yacht, the “Gondola,” is well known in Napier as a fast boat.

Bunting, photo. Mr. F. W. Triggs.

Bunting, photo.
Mr. F. W. Triggs.

Mr. Duncan Gillies, Vice-Captain of the Napier Sailing Club, has held office since the formation of the club, and was for some time its captain. He was born in the year 1860, in Crinan, Argyleshire, Scotland, where he was educated, and subsequently served an apprenticeship to the boatbuilding trade. At sixteen years of age Mr. Gillies went to sea, in the merchant service. He arrived in Dunedin in 1888, and was employed during the following two years in the Union Steam Ship Company's vessels. In 1890 he joined the service of the North British and Hawke's Bay Freezing Company, Limited, at Port Ahuriri, where he is now (1906) in charge of the freezing chamber. Mr. Gillies is a member, and one of the founders, of the Hawke's Bay Highland Society.

page 354

The Napier Rowing Club was founded about the year 1875, with Mr. Spencer Gollan, its present president, as one of its promoters. The boatshed was originally situated on the Tutaekuri river, where it was burnt down and re-built, and it was afterwards removed to the Whare-o'Maramu river. It is a wooden building, about fifty feet square, and is well fitted up as a boat shed. The club holds a yearly contest with Poverty Bay, and has successfully competed in other regattas. A ladies' club has also been formed, and has proved very popular. The fleet consists of one racing sculler, two “best and best” fours, two number eight clinker fours, three four-oared maiden clinkers, two clinker scullers, four pleasure boats, and about half-a-dozen pair-oars and double scullers. Officers for the year 1906; Messrs Spencer Gollan (president), C. D. Kennedy, R. D. D. McLean, W. J. Tabateau, and R. Lanauze (vice-presidents), J. H. Ferguson (captain), J. B. Cuthbert (vice-captain), E. F. Shirley (secretary), P. Foley (treasurer), and there is a committee of seven.

Mr. John Hamilton Ferguson, Captain of the Napier Rowing Club, has been connected with the club for many years. He was born near Takapau, Hawke's Bay, in the year 1872, and was educated at Wellington College, the Napier Boys' High School, and at Lincoln College, Canterbury. He then removed to Napier, where he has since been engaged in commercial life. Mr. Ferguson is an active member of many clubs, most of which have received his generous assistance. He is further referred to as a house, land, estate, insurance, and general agent.

Bunting, photo. Mr. J. H. Ferguson.

Bunting, photo.
Mr. J. H. Ferguson.

Mr. John Berry Cuthbert, who was elected Vice-Captain of the Napier Rowing Club in the year 1903, has been a useful member of the club for about nine years, and was for some time its treasurer, and a member of the committee. He was born in Napier in April, 1879, was educated at the Gisborne and Napier schools, and then entered the employ of Messrs Kennedy Brothers and Morgan, where he subsequently became a draughtsman. Mr. Cuthbert is a member of the Hawke's Bay Rowing Association, and is a delegate for several rowing clubs.

The Union Rowing Club was founded in the year 1876, with Mr. J. North as its first captain. The boat shed was originally situated on the Tutaekuri river, but was subsequently removed to Wellesley Road. It is a substantial wooden building, with an iron roof, and measures about ninety feet by thirty feet. The fleet consists of five four-oars, two convertible double-scullers, two single scullers, and three pleasure boats. The club holds a good racing record, and has acquitted itself creditably in interprovincial contests. It won the Couper Cup and the gold medal at Farndon Park, on Boxing day, 1905. The club has a membership of eighty, and the annual subscription is thirty shillings. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs William Nelson (patron), A. E. Eagleton (president), A. C. Barnes (captain), Walter Heifford (vice-captain), J. W. Cato (secretary), F. Simmonds (treasurer).

Mr. Alfred Charles Barnes, Captain of the Union Rowing Club, has been a member of the club for several years. He was born in Christ-church in the year 1867, and is a son of the junior partner in the contracting firm of Messrs Newton and Barnes. Mr. Barnes was educated at the public schools in Christchurch and Oamaru, and was apprenticed to the grocery trade. After spending a few years in that employment in South Canterbury and North Otago, he removed to Napier, and took over the Caledonian Hotel. Mr. Barnes has been president of the City Football Club, secretary of the Hawke's Bay Amateur Rowing Association, representative for the New Zealand Amateur Rowing Association and the New Zealand League of Wheelmen, and a member of the Hawke's Bay Rugby Union.

The Napier Amateur Swimming Club was established about the year 1893, with Messrs A. E. Eagleton, J. M. Hamilton, F. Moeller, and G. H. Swan among its promoters. For some years practices and contests were held in the open sea, but later the White Swan Swimming Baths were used for training and racing purposes. The Club has, at various times, been successfully represented at Christchurch, Wellington, and Wanganui; and swimming races are held at the annual sports, when cups and other trophies presented to the club are competed for. There is a membership of about thirty. Mr. W. G. Atack, a well-known Christchurch journalist, has for some years rendered valuable service to the club as delegate to the New Zealand Amateur Swimming Association. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs R. D. D. McLean (patron), Frank Moeller (president), T. S. Roulston (captain), H. W. Allan (deputy-captain), A. E. Eagleton (secretary and treasurer).

Mr. Thomas Sinclair Roulston, who has been Captain of the Napier Amateur Swimming Club continuously for about six years, has held office since the inception of the club. He received his education at the Napier District School, and later at the Napier Boys' High School. In 1896 he entered the office of Messrs Cotterill and Humphries, barristers and solicitors, where he is still (1906) employed. Mr. Roulston is treasurer of the Scinde Football Club, and was one of the representative members of the Napier Rowing Club.

page 355
Bunting, photo.Mr. T. S. Roulston.

Bunting, photo.
Mr. T. S. Roulston.


The Greenmeadows Bowling Club was founded in the year 1902, with Messrs R. Currie, E. H. Ricketts, E. Crowley, J. K. Martin, J. C. Grubb, and D. A. Pilmer among its premoters. It is registered with the unclassified associations, and is affiliated to the Northern Bowling Association. The Bowling green is situated at Greenmeadows, and was bought by the club from Mr. Butcher at a figure greatly beneath its value. It is laid out to accommodate four rinks, but its area is now (1906) increased to nearly one acre, in order to afford room for eight rinks and a ladies' tennis court. In the first year of its existence the club was represented at Auckland, and in the second year at Gisborne, where they were “runners up” for the trophy. In 1906 the club won six games out of nine in Wellington, and secured second place for the points prize; in inter club shield matches, also, they have taken a creditable place. There is a membership of fifty-three. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs H. F. Butcher (patron), J. J. Niven (past president), C. W. Badley (president), F. G. Smith (vice-president). Robert Currie (secretary and treasurer).

Mr. Robert Currie, Secretary and Treasurer of the Greenmeadows Bowling Club, was one of the principal promoters, and represents the club in its inter-provincial contests.


The Napier Golf Club was founded in the year 1896, with Mr. W. Dymock as its first president, and Mr. G. M. Morris as its first captain. The links are situated at Waiohiki, about seven miles south-west from Napier, and consist of 155 acres, leased from the Maoris. The ground is level and undulating, and is claimed to be one of the best golfing links in the colony. The course is an eighteenhole one, and takes about three hours in the playing. The Maoris take a keen interest in the games, and one member, Kurupo Tareha, held the New Zealand Championship for the year 1903. The club has been successful in inter-provincial contests, and holds the Wilson Cup. There is a membership of nearly 200; the entrance fee is one guinea, and there is an annual subscription of two guineas. A pavilion has been erected, and a caretaker is employed; the services of a professional player are also at the disposal of the club. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs F. L. Gordon (president), C. D. Kennedy (vice-president), G. M. Morris (captain), J. T. Cato (secretary and treasurer).


The Hawke's Bay Rugby Football Union is affiliated to the New Zealand Rughy Football Union, and its functions are to act as a board of directors over the football affairs of the province, to settle disputes, arrange inter-provincial matches, and generally to supervise and protect the game. It consists of twenty-two members; including two delegates from each of the seven local football clubs, and two members from each of the four sub-unions, which have their centres respectively in Hastings, Waipawa, Dannevirke, and Porangahau; these, sub-unions act as local management committees. The management committee of the Union meets weekly, throughout the season. The officers of the Union are: Messrs F. Logan (president), E. P. Smyrk (chairman), J. P. Fortune (secretary), A. McCarthy (treasurer).

Mr. Joseph Patrick Fortune was appointed Secretary and a member of the management committee of the Hawke's Bay Rughy Football Union in the year 1902, and has been for many years a member of the City Football Club. He was born in Auckland in the year 1877, and was educated at the Napier Grammar School, and at St. Patrick's College, Wellington. Mr. Fortune then entered the employ of Messrs Cranby and Sidey, of Napier. Later, he joined the staff of the Napier Harbour Board, and in 1902 was appointed delivery clerk at the Board's sheds at the breakwater. Mr. Fortune is a member of the Unión Rówing Club, and of the Napier Lodge of Oddfellows.


The Napier Cricket Club, also known as the Wednesday Afternoon Club, from the fact that it is the only cricket club that plays on that day, came into existence owing to the change the Scinde Cricket Club made in playing their practice matches on Saturday instead of on Wednesday. The majority of the members of the Napier Club were formerly connected with the Scinde Club, but Wednesday, being the weekly half-holiday in Napier, was found to be a more convenient day for play. For some time the seceding body of Wednesday players retained their connection with the old club, but in October, 1905, a new and separate club was organised under the present title, with Messrs J. W. Boyce, H. McDougall, L. Krogh, J. Browne, H. Pirie and S. Lyndon among its, promoters. It is divided into three elevens, known respectively as A, B, and C, and has been fairly successful in matches. There is a membership of forty-two, and the annual subscription is fifteen shillings. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs J. Vigor Brown (president), F. Moeller, J. Ross, W. Simm and M. Lascelles (vice-presidents), J. W. Boyce (captain), S. Lyndon (secretary), H. McDougall (treasurer).

Mr. John William Boyce, Captain of the Napier Cricket Club, was born in the year 1877, at Maidstone, Kent, England, where he was educated, and learned the tailoring trade. In 1893 he went to Victoria, Australia, where he was employed at general work for about seven years. He finally came to New Zealand, landed at Lyttelton early in January, 1900, and after a varied twelve months' experience he went to Wellington, where he entered the employment of Messrs Osborne and Baker, and afterwards that of Messrs Kirkealdie and Stains. During his employment with the latter firm he made a thorough study of his trade, and became an assistant cutter. In April, 1903, he received the appointment of cutter for Messrs Blythe and Company, of Napier, and has won the reputation of being a skilful tailor. Mr. Boyce is a member of the St. Paul's Church Gymnasium, and was formerly a member of the Napier Rowing Club and the Napier Sandow School.