The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Hawke's Bay Children's Home
The Hawke's Bay Children's Home is a benevolent institution, established about the year 1890 by a few local philanthropists anxious to provide a home for orphans and neglected children of the non-criminal class. It is situated on Burlington Road, and is a wooden building conveniently and comfortably arranged. The home is supported by public subscriptions, by small endowments that it has received, and by some little help from parents whose children are resident there. It is controlled by a committee of twenty, elected by the subscribers. The children, who number twenty-six, attend the district school, and Bible classes are held in the Home. The income for the year 1905–6 was £1,125 12s 9d, and the expenditure £1,056 10s 11d, leaving a balance of £69 1s 10d on the year's working. Mrs. Thomas Tanner is president, Miss Davenport is secretary, and the treasurer is Mrs. Randall, Mrs McGregor is matron.