The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Land and Survey Department
Land and Survey Department.
The Lands and Survey Department, Napier. The offices of this department are situated on the second floor of the Government Buildings, in Shakespeare Road, the whole of the western wing being occupied by the survey branch.
Mr. Henry Trent, Chief Surveyor and Commissioner of Crown Lands for Hawke's Bay, was appointed to his present position in July, 1906, in succession to Mr. E. C. Gold-Smith. He was born in 1848, educated at a private academy in London, and completed his studies at Nelson College, New Zealand. Mr. Trent entered the Civil Service in August, 1863, as a survey cadet, under the Provincial Government of Nelson. On the opening of the Buller goldfields he was transferred to Westport as draughtsman to the District Engineer, and afterwards became Assistant and Mining Surveyor. In 1873 he was promoted to the position of District Surveyor for the Grey Valley district, with head-quarters at Ahaura. This position he held until the abolition of the provinces, when he was transferred to the General Survey Department as Chief Draughtsman at Nelson. In June, 1904, he was appointed Chief Surveyor and Commissioner of Crown Lands for Marlborough, whence he was transferred to Napier.