The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Napier Guards, known as the A Company of the 3rd (East Coast) Battalion of the Wellington Rifle Volunteers, was formed originally in August, 1869, as the F. Battery of page 328 Field Artillery, and afterwards became an infantry body of rifle volunteers, under the title of the Napier Guards. The corps has always been a popular body, has kept a full membership, and—on two occasions has won the Coleman Shield for shooting, and has won Colonel Kettle's trophy for drill two years in succession. Thirteen of its members took part in the South African war, in which two of its officers lost their lives. The officers of the corps are: Captain Ringland, and Lieutenants Andrew and Lound.
Captain Thomas Haslett Ringland was elected to the command of the Napier Guards in May, 1903. He is a partner in the firm of Messrs Ringland Brothers, clothiers, of Hastings Street, and has been connected with military affairs in Napier since the year 1892. He has served continuously with the Napier Guards since September, 1894, when he joined as a gunner in the F Battery (as the corp was then called), and has passed through the various ranks to his present position.
Surgeon Captain Henry Ferdinand Bernau, of the Napier Guards, was born in London, England, in the year 1867, and was educated at the University College and St. Thomas's Hospital, London. In 1890 he graduated M.R.C.S. (England), and L.R.C.P. (London), and for about three years subsequently conducted a private practice at Finchly, one of the northern suburbs of London. In 1894 Dr. Bernau came to New Zealand, and settled in Napier. He is a member of the honorary medical staff of the Napier Hospital, and holds various other professional appointments.