The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Garrison Hall , Napier, stands on a site of a quarter of an acre on the Marine Parade, about midway between the post office and the breakwater. It is an old building, and has been enlarged and improved from time to time. The building is of wood with an iron roof, and contains the auditorium or general assembly and practice room—which occupies the whole of the main part of the structure—officers' rooms, orderly rooms, the big gun room, and the general meeting and supper room. The auditorium—the walls of which are decorated with several pictures of historical interest—possesses a fine stage, with dressing rooms and caretaker's room. The building is lighted by six large incandescent are gas lamps. A large rectangular parade ground is adjacent to the hall.
Mr. Clarence De Coudray Tronson, Sergeant in charge of the Garrison Hall, and secretary of the Hall Committee, first joined the Napier Volunteers in the year 1899, as a member of the Ranfurly Rifles, of which, in 1904, he was elected sergeant. As a marksman he holds four silver medals, a gold medal, and many other trophies. Sergeant Tronson was born at Porangahau in September, 1880, and is the eldest son of Mr. Gerald Preston Tronson, a farmer of Meanee. He was educated at the Waipawa and Napier district schools, afterwards engaged in general work, and subsequently entered the employ of Mr. R. Holt, timber merchant.