The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Napier Rifle Volunteers
Napier Rifle Volunteers.
The Napier Rifle Volunteers was formed on the 5th of March, 1878, and took the place of the Napier Engineer Corps, which had disbanded. It at once took a leading place among the companies of the North Island as a strong and welldrilled force, and has maintained that reputation. The shooting of the company in individual scores and in team matches has always been of a high average. A handsome silver shield, presented by Mr. J. H. Coleman, for team shooting among the companies of the Hawke's Bay district, has been won on two occasions, and at the Wanganui Rifle Association's meeting of 1899 members of the company made excellent scores.
Captain James Henry Martin, of the Napier Rifle Volunteers, is elsewhere referred to as choir-master of the Hawke's Bay Highland Society.
Lieutenant C. F. Rockel, of the Napier Rifles, is fully referred to as fifth assistant and junior house master of the Napier Boys' High School.