Mr. Joe Ward,
J.P., was elected to the New Plymouth Borough Council as member for West Ward in 1892, and was chairman of the Library and Fire Prevention Committees. Mr. Ward was born in Dorset, England, in 1824, and arrived in New Plymouth
with his parents by the ship “Ismandra,” in February, 1812. In 1851, he established the well known cooperage now carried on by his son. On the breaking out of the native war, Mr. Ward joined the Forest Rangers, and took a very active part in the campaign, was present at the engagement at Waireka at Mahoetahi, and received the New Zealand medal in recognition of his services. At the close of the trouble, Mr. Ward again started his cooperage, with machinery mostly of his own construction, and he yearly manufactured about 15,000 butter kegs; but owing to ill-health he found it necessary to retire from active business, leaving his son in charge of the factory. Mr. Ward has been an Oddfellow for nearly fifty years, is one of the oldest members of the Order, has held various offices, and is Past Provincial Deputy Grand Master. He is also a Freemason. He was one of the members of the New Plymouth Harbour Board appointed by the Government, and received his commission as a Justice of the Peace in 1892. Mr. Ward could relate many interesting stories of the early days, and exciting experiences during the native disturbances. He married a daughter of the late Mr. P. Moon, a well known settler, and has four sons and six daughters. Three of his sons are in business in New Plymouth, and four of his daughters are married.