The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Hawera Mounted Rifles is known as the C Company of No. I Battalion Wellington (West Coast) Mounted Rifle Volunteers. The corps was established in July, 1885, and is said to be the third oldest corps in the colony. It was originally formed as a eadet company, and afterwards changed into a rifle corps, and subsequently became a mounted corps. Officers for the year 1906: Captain W. C. Morrison, New Zealand Militia, and Lieutenants A. G. Muir and J. Robertson; Farrier — Sergeant, C. T. Nicholas; and A. Mitchell, Honorary Secretary. Monthly parades are held at the drillshed in Hawera. The corps is in a sound financial position.
Farrier-Sergeant Charles Thomas Nicholas, of the Hawera Mounted Rifles, was born in the year 1876. in Hawera, was educated at the local school, and brought up to the trade of a blacksmith. He joined the volunteers in 1901, became secretary soon after, and was promoted to the rank of farrier-sergeant in 1905. Mr. Nicholas is a member of the Hawera Football Club. In 1905 he married a daughter of Mrs M. Morrison, of Christchurch, and sister of Captain W. C. Morrison, He is further referred to as a farrier and general blacksmith.
The Hawera Rifle Volunteer Corps, is known as the F Company of the 4th Battalion Wellington (Taranaki) Rifle Volunteers, it was constituted in September, 1900, and has a strength of forty-eight members. The company meets periodically for instruction at the drillshed, Princes Street, Hawera. The rifle team in connection with the corps took fifth place at Trentham in 1906. Officers for 1906: Captain A. Paterson, Lieutenants E. J. Bellingham and A. Winks; Sergeant and Secretary W. H. Wood.
Lieutenant Edward John Bellingham holds a commission as Senior Lieutenant in the Hawera Volunteer Rifle Corps, which he joined in the year 1905. He is further referred to as manager of the Hawera branch of the Onehunga Boot Factory.
Lieutenant Alexander Winks, of the Hawera Rifle Volunteer Corps, was born in the year 1876, at Bulls, Rangitikei, and was educated at Carnarvon and at Palmerston North. He was then employed at the Palmerston North branch of the New Zealand Clothing Factory, and a year later was transferred to Wanganui, where he gained further experience during the ensuing three years. In 1900 Mr. Winks entered the service of Mr. A. J. Whittaker, in Hawera. Two years later he was employed by Messrs Wilson and Son, and subsequently entered the service of Messrs Paterson and Co. In 1897 he became a member of the Wanganui Rifles; in 1901 he joined the Hawera Rifles, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant in September, 1905. Mr. Winks married Miss Rowberry, of Wellington, in the year 1904.