The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Cocker, Alfred, Farmer, Ngawini Dairy, Hawera. Mr. Cocker farms over 500 acres of land, 300 acres of which is leased from the Maoris. He has successfully established a private butter factory on his property, which is situated about twelve miles by road from Hawera. The plant is driven by a four horse-power Allan oil engine, and consists of a 150-gallon per hour de Laval separator, 150lbs churn, a five feet circular butter worker, and cream tubs. There is a splendid supply of fresh water for all purposes of the factory, as well as for the cattle on the estate. Mr. Cocker's brand of butter is known as “Ngawini.” It is extensively patronised in the local market, and is also exported in large quantities to London. Mr. Cocker was born in the year 1873, at Bury, near Manchester, England, and was educated at Bury Grammar School. He afterwards came to New Zealand, and arrived at Port Chalmers in 1886. After being for some time in Wellington, he settled in the Manaia district, and gained his first experience of dairy work at the Crown Dairy Factory, at Manaia, of which he subsequently became manager for three years. Mr. Cocker then commenced dairy farming on his own account at Ararata, and for three years delivered milk as a supplier to a creamery before establishing his private factory at Hawera. For some time Mr. Cocker was a member of the local school committee.
Goodson, Charles, Settler, Hawera. Mr. Goodson is the son of the late Mr. M. J. Goodson, of the Waihi Downs estate. He was born in the year 1866, at Wanganui, and was educated at the Wanganui College. Subsequently, he learned farming with his father, and remained on the estate until the latter's death, in 1888. He has since farmed the portion of 700 acres of the property that came to him. Mr. Goodson also owns eighty acres on the south road, and fifty acres of valuable land in Normanby. He is a member of the Egmont Polo Club, Hunt Club, and Racing Club, and of the Egmont Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Goodson is a well-known stock breeder, and an exhibitor at the principal cattle shows, at which he has always been a prize winner with both sheep and cattle. He married a sister of Mr. R. Welsh, barrister and solicitor, of Hawera, and has two children.
Mr. C. Goodson.