Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]

Wood Trade

Wood Trade.

Hawera Sash and Door Factory (Quin Brothers, proprietors), Corner of Glover Road and Wilson Street, Hawera. This factory was established in the year 1896 by Messrs T. Twigg and John T. Quin, under the style of Twigg and Company. In 1899 Mr. Joseph Quin became a partner, and in 1903 Mr. Twigg's interest was acquired by Mr. A. A. Quin. The factory was erected in 1896, on a sec- page 248 tion of three acres of land, and is a two-storied building of wood and iron. A compound marine engine of fifty horse-power drives the plant, which is up-to-date in every respect. The ground floor contains one four-sided and one three-sided planer; a moulding machine; a large circular saw bench, and two smaller benches; two swing or goose saws; a screw-cutting lathe; an automatic knife-grinder; a drilling machine; two sets of emery stones; and also a box-making and printing plant. The first floor has Turner's wood lathes, an automatic band saw setter and sharpener, a combined saw bench and wood worker, band and scroll saws, a hand planer and jointer, and an automatic sash pulley morticer, besides boring, tenoning, morticing, mitring, and chain morticing machine, sash and door cramps, etc., The blacksmith's shop is a separate department, and contains all the necessary tools and appliances. Close to the main factory there is a cooperage, which is replete in all particulars. At the rear of the factory there is a large moulding shed, 120 feet long, twenty-eight feet wide, and fourteen feet high, which contains about 260 styles of mouldings, and a large quantity of prepared dressed timber. The offices and store are in a large iron building, where considerable stocks of builders' ironmongery and glass are kept; the first floor is used for storing glazed sashes, turning and band-saw work. About 300 pairs of sashes are kept in stock, and there is about 1,250,000 feet of assorted timber in the yard. Thirty persons are employed in or about the factory. Messrs Quin Brothers own a sawmill at Midhurst, and have also secured the output of the Union Timber Company's mill at Midhurst.

Mr. Joseph Quin, Managing Partner of the Hawera Sash and Door Factory, was born in the year 1868, at the Limestone Plains, Southland. He was educated partly at his native place, and partly at Normanby, and afterwards was for ten years engaged in farming in Southland. In 1897 he sold out, and removed to Hawera, and has been connected with the factory ever since. Mr. Quin married a daughter of Captain John Macdonald, of the Bluff, in the year 1892.

Syme, George, Egmont Sash and Door Factory, Hawera. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Branch at Stratford; agencies at Opunake, Manaia, Eltham, and Patea. Sawmills and yards at Normanby, Ngaire, Stratford, Midhurst, and Toko. This business was established in the year 1882, and is one of the largest in the province, employing over fifty persons. Every article of woodwork in connection with the building trade is manufactured. There is also a large cooperage which turns out every dairy requisite, churns, tallow casks, butter boxes and kegs. The factory, which is situated near the railway station, is a fine large iron building, and contains the latest machinery, driven by a powerful steam engine. The yards occupy a large area, and contain stocks of cut
Group Of Factory Employees, Hawera Sash and Door Factory.

Group Of Factory Employees, Hawera Sash and Door Factory.

page 249 and seasoned timber of every description. Mr. Syme is a native of Stirlingshire, Scotland, and served his apprenticeship to the joinery trade in Glasgow, in which he remained about ten years, and gained thorough experience. About 1862 he came to New Zealand, and landed in Invercargill, where he started contracting, which he carried on for over two years. On the opening of the goldfields, Mr. Syme went to the Shotover and Arrow river diggings; but, not meeting with the success he anticipated, he left for Nelson, and then removed in 1864 to New Plymouth, where he began business as a contractor. About two years later Mr. Syme left for Wanganui, where he found more scope, and remained there for nine years. After a trip to the West Coast he settled in 1875, at Hawera, where he again started contracting, and in conjunction with others established the Egmont Sash and Door Company, of which he was a director. In 1889 he bought out the other shareholders, and is now sole proprietor of one of the most complete businesses of its kind in the Taranaki province. Mr. Syme takes an active part in all local and public matters, and was one of the first members of the Hawera Borough Council, of which he was a member for three years. He was for many years a member of the Hawera school committee, a director of the Town Hall Company, and of the Hawera Building Society. He is a keen bowler, and is vice-president of the Hawera Bowling Club. In the year 1868 Mr. Syme had a contract under Colonel Haultain to build a block house at Wareroa, near Waitotara, during the trouble with Titokowaru. A battle had just been fought near Waverley with great loss to the troops, including Major Hunter. Titokowaru, flushed with success, attacked the blockhouse, which was in charge of Captain Powell, but after about five hours' hard fighting the natives were repulsed. Mr. Syme has five sons and two daughters. His third son, Walter, of the Hawera Mounted Rifles, formed one of the New Zealand Contingent at the Jubilee celebrations in London. Two other sons assist in the factory, and one practises as a solicitor and barrister at Eltham.
Mr. G. Syme.

Mr. G. Syme.