The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Quin, Alfred A., Bricklayer, Tawhiti Brickyards. Turuturu road, Hawera. These brickyards were established in the year 1904, and occupy six acres of land. The buildings are iron-roofed, and the principal shed measures 40 feet by 60 feet. The plant is driven by a seventeen brake oil engine, which drives a Crabtree brick-making machine and press. There are fourteen drying sheds, each about sixty yards long, and capable of holding 300,000 bricks. A large permanent down-draught brick kiln, with a sixty-five feet chimney stack, will burn 35,000 bricks at one time. Chimney pots, flower pots, and other earthernware goods are manufactured. There is a splendid deposit of clay on the property, and the produce of the brickyard is in great local demand. An expert manager and a potter are employed.
Mr. Alfred A. Quin, Proprietor of the Tawhiti Brickyards, was born in the year 1875, near Invercargill, He was brought up to farming, in which he is still interested. Mr. Quin is also one of the proprietors of Quin and Company's Sash and Door Factory.