The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Dickson, T. and Co. (Thomas Dickson), Boot and Shoemakers and Importers; Hawera Branch, High Street. Hawera; Head Office, Wanganui. The Hawera branch of this business was established in the year 1904. The premises consist of a wood and iron building, which contains a double-fronted shop with a verandah, fitting rooms, and workrooms.
Mr. Frederick George Thacker was appointed Manager of the Hawera branch of Messrs Dickson and Co.'s business in the year 1904. He was born at Napier in 1850, and was educated at Woodville. He learned his trade with a brother-in-law at Danne-virke, and served an apprenticeship of three years. Mr. Thacker afterwards worked for two years as a journeyman, then removed to Wanganui, and was employed for a year by Mr. J. Thorpe. Subsequently, for two years, he was manager of the boot department of Messrs R. H. White and Co's business before receiving his present appointment. Mr. Thacker was for two years a member of the Dannevirke Mounted Rifles, and for eighteem months a member of the Dannevirke Infantry Volunteers.
The Onehunga Boot Factory (W. S. Moore, proprietor); Hawera Branch, High Street; Head Office and Factory, Onehunga. The Hawera branch of this business was established in the year 1892. It is conducted in a wood and iron building, which contains a large double-fronted shop with a verandah, a fitting room and a workshop. About fifty per cent, of the stock is imported. Competent repairers are at work on the premises.
Mr. Edward John Bellingham was appointed Manager of the Hawera branch of the Onehunga Boot Factory in March, 1905. He was born in the year 1882 in Auckland, where he was educated at the Grammar School, and had a commercial training at college. For some time afterwards he gained experience in Messrs Buddle, Button and Co's office, and subsequently was employed for three years as traveller for Mr. F. Prime. Later, he learned the boot business with Mr. A. Hughes, with whom he remained for four years, during the greater part of which, owing to the proprietor's illness, he had the practical management of his shop at Onehunga. On Mr. W. S. Moore acquiring the business, Mr. Bellinham was appointed manager of the local branch. In 1904 he married a daughter of Mr. O. Pople, of Onehunga, and has one son. Mr. Bellingham is further referred to as a lieutenant in the Hawera Rifle Corps.
Duxfield, Andrew Haig, Saddler and Harness Maker, High Street, Hawera. Mr. Duxfield's business was established in the year 1894. It is the largest of the kind in Hawera, and six men are kept in constant employment. The premises are centrally situated, and lighted by large windows, in which there is a fine display of harness and saddlery, with ladies' saddles as a specialty. Mr. Duxfield obtained a certificate of merit at the Egmont Agricultural and Pastoral Association for superior workmanship in saddlery. He was born in Durham, England, in 1869, came out to New Zealand with his parents in 1885, and learned his trade under Mr. James Haig, the well-known Auckland saddler, whom he accompanied on his removal to Wanganui under a five years' engagement, during three years of which he acted as foreman. In 1894 he started business on his own account in Hawera. Mr. Duxfield has been a member of the Hawera Mounted Rifles since 1895, and is also a Druid, and a member of the Hawera Hunt Club.
Mr. A. H. Duxfield.