The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Builders and Contractors
Builders and Contractors.
Pacey, Ernest Arthur, Builder and Contractor, Regent Street, Hawera. This business was established in 1894 by the late Mr. Thomas Pacey, and has been conducted by his son, Mr. E. A. Pacey, since 1898. The premises consist of a wood and iron, building, which stands on a freehold section of four acres in Regent Street, and there is also a convenient timber yard. There is a complete modern plant for joinery and wood work, which is driven by a twelve horsepower gas engine. Mr. Pacey has erected a large number of buildings in the Hawera district, including the brick shop of Messrs F. McGuire and Hardley in High Street, and the “Economic” building for Messrs Hardley and Sons. He is further referred to as a member of the Hawera Borough Council.
Whittington, Hugh Knight, Builder and Contractor, Office and Yards, High Street; private residence, Glover road, Hawera. This business was established in March, 1880, by Mr. Whittington, who has erected many substantial buildings in the Hawera district, including St. Mary's church, and the Mokoia church. He has also erected the brick work in connection with a number of buildings, including those of Messrs Caplen, Sutton, Halliwell, Cowern, McGuire, and Hardley, and many others. Mr. Whittington is further referred to as a member of the Hawera Borough Council.
Mr. Newton Charles Holdaway, formerly of the firm of Holda-way and Bradley, coachbuilders, Hawera, was born at Richmond, Nelson. He learned his trade under Mr. J. Papps, of Richmond, and afterwards was for three years with Messrs James and Tunniclifle, of Blenheim. Mr. Holdaway started business in Richmond on his own account, but, seeing a larger scope in the rising district of Hawera, went there in 1896, and bought out Mr. John Veats. Mr. Alfred Theodore Bradley became his partner. Mr. Holdaway afterwards removed from Hawera to Levin.