The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Borough Of Hawera has an area of 500 acres. Rates are levied on the unimproved value, which amounts to £160,000, and there is a general rate of 3d in the pound, and a separate water rate. Interest on all loans is provided out of the general revenue. The annual income amout to £6247, and consists of £1950, general rate; £1475 water rate; Government subsidy, £187; licenses and fees, £650; rents of reserves and offices, £1200; bath fees, £65; ahattoir fees, £645; and sundries, £75. The water supply is drawn from the Kapuni river; it was established in 1901, and is brought in by gravitation, a distance of twelve miles. There is a pressure of 65 pounds to the square inch in the day time, and of 90, pounds at night. The cost of construction was £31,000. Hawera's reserves include King Edward's Park, which is twenty-eight acres in extent. The municipal offices are situated in the main street of the borough, and were erected in 1881. The building is a two-storied one of wood and iron, and contains public offices and a council chamber. Hawera has public baths, which were erected in 1902. The main bath is 75 feet by 40; and there is a smaller bath measuring 40 feet by 10 feet, for children. Hawera is lighted by electricity, which is supplied by a local company. The installation was completed in the year 1904, and consists of sixty-five incandescent lights, which cost £3 6s 8d per annum, per light. The public abattoir, which was completed in October, 1903, at a cost of £7000, is situated one mile and a-half outside the borough boundary, on a section of thirty acres of land. The building is of wood and iron, with concrete foundations, and is well equipped and up-to-date in every respect. The fire station, which is managed by a volunteer brigade, is situated in High Street, opposite the municipal chambers, and was erected in 1902. It is a two-storied building of wood and iron, with a tower, and is equipped with all modern appliances. Drainage is on the gravitation system, discharging into the sea two miles and a-half away. Hawera has a fine public library and reading room. Members of the Council for the year 1906: Mr. J. W. Hirst (Mayor), and Messrs J. E. Wilson, H. K. Whittington, J. Brunette, H. W. Sutton, C. Goodson, E. Morrissey, W. Sargeson and E. A. Pacey. Mr. B. A. Meek is Town Clerk and Treasurer, Mr. John McPherson, Borough Foreman, and Mr. E. B. T. Worthy, Manager of the Abattoir.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. James William Hirst, was elected Mayor of Hawera in April, 1906. He is further referred to as a licensed land broker, and land and commission agent.
Councillor J. Brunette.
Councillor Hugh Knight Whittington, who has, except during three years, been a member of the Hawera Borough Council since 1887, was born in Sussex, England, in 1853, and attended school until nine years of age. He was then put to work under his father, a bricklayer, and after learning his trade, worked as a journeyman for some time. In the year 1875 he came to New Zealand in the ship “Hindustan,” and settled in Wanganui, where he was employed for three years. Mr. Whittington was subsequently for two years in Wellington, and in March, 1880, removed to the Hawera district, where he started in business on his own account. He was for a number of years a member of the local school committee, and was one of the first members of the local Lodge of Oddfellows, and a Past Provincial Grand Master of the Order: and he is also a Freemason. Mr. Whittington was a member of the local Volunteer Fire Brigade for eight years, during three of which he was captain. In 1879 he married Miss Jackman, of Warwickshire, England, and has six daughters and three sons. He is further referred to as a builder and contractor.
Councillor William Sargeson was first elected a member of the Hawera Borough Council in November, 1900. He was born in 1843, at Holbeach, Lincolnshire, England, where he was educated, and learned his trade as a painter and paperhanger. For a number of years Mr. Sargeson followed his trade in Ireland, Lincolnshire, and other parts of Great Britain. In 1879 he came to New Zealand, and landed in Auckland from the ship “Famenoth.” He started in business on his own account, and in 1892 removed to Taranaki, and settled in Hawera. Mr. Sargeson has been connected with the business of Mr. G. Syme, sash and door factory proprietor, for some years, and also takes occasional contracts on his own account. While in Auckland he was a member of the Newton East and Newton West school committees for some time. In 1866 Mr. Sargeson married a daughter of the late Mr. John Patrick, of Belfast, Ireland, and has, surviving, three sons and three daughters. One of Mr. Sargeson's sons went to South Africa at the time of the Boer war, and became a member of the Scottish Horse.
Councillor W. Sargeson.
Councillor Ernest Arthur Pacey was elected a member of the Hawera Borough Council in April, 1905. He was born in 1872, near Lincoln, England, where he was partly educated. In 1883 he came to New Zealand with his parents, and landed in Auckland, where he finished his education, and learned the building trade. In 1894 he removed with his father to Hawera, and worked in connection with his trade, until taking over his father's business in 1898. Mr. Pacey has passed all the offices in connection with the Lodge of Good Templars, and has taken a Grand Lodge degree. He is also an active temperance worker. In 1902 Mr. Pacey married a daughter of Mr. C. W. Goodson, of Auckland, and has one son.
Councillor E. A. Pacey.
Mr. Bertram Arthur Meek was appointed Town Clerk for the borough of Hawera in September, 1903. He was born in Wellington in 1874, and educated at Wellington College. Mr. Meek afterwards entered the Government service, and was connected with the Audit Department, until he received his present appointment.