The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Gillies and Nalder (Arthur William Gillies and Ernest Edward Nalder), Auctioneers, Stock and Station Agents, Union Street, Hawera. This business was established by the Egmont Farmers' Union, which, during its twelve years of ownership, developed a large connection. It was acquired by the present firm in 1905. Fortnightly sales of stock are held at Hawera and Okaiawa, and periodical sales at Stratford and Manaia, besides regular horse sales; clearing sales are also held when and where desired.
Mr. Arthur William Gillies, Senior Partner and Auctioneer of the firm of Gillies and Nalder, is more fully referred to on page 541 in the Otago and Southland volume of this Cyclopedia.
Jay, Thomas Matchell, Auctioneer, General Commission Agent and General Merchant, Jay's Royal Mart, High Street, Hawera. Agent for the Sun Fire Insurance Office, the Morshead Nursery Company, Day, Son, and Hewitt's cattle medicines, and Brigg's sheep dip. This business was established in the year 1899, and was acquired by the present proprietor in 1904. It is conducted in the old Theatre Royal building, which contains offices, and a large auctioncering room fitted up with fowl coops. There is also a grain store, and a yard with pig pens. Regular auction sales are held on Saturday and Thursday in each week. Mr. Jay is further referred to as a member of the Hawera Borough Council.
Nolan, Tonks and Co. (Robert Howard Nolan and Arthur Sydney Tonks). Auctioneers, Stock and Station Salesmen, etc., Regent Street, Hawera. P.O. Box 87. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private Residences: Mr. Nolan's, Nolantown, half a mile from the Post Office; Mr. Tonks', Main South road. This flourishing business—one of the largest in Taranaki—was established in the year 1880 by Mr. Robert H. Nolan, who was joined about two years later by Mr. Tonks. Stock sales are held regularly at Hawera, Manaia, Opunake, Eltham, and Kakaramea. As many as 35,000 sheep have been yarded on a single sale day, and large transactions are made in all kinds of stock. The fine brick premises of the firm are quite close to the main business thoroughfare, and the Hawera yards are within easy reach of the town. Land and property sales are conducted at the saleroom, and largely attended.
Mr R. H. Nolan, Senior Partner in the firm of Messrs Nolan, Tonks, and Company, who has for many years been a Justice of the Peace, was born in Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia, in the year 1855, and is the second son of Mr. David Nolan, of the well known Auckland firm of stock-auctioneers. Messrs Hunter and Nolan. He was educated at the Wesley College, Auckland, and the Auckland College and Grammar School. Mr. Nolan struck out for himself by going to the Thames goldfields, where he built and worked the Eglinton battery. He subsequently returned to Auckland, and entered the warehouse of Messrs McArthur and Co., and a few years later represented the firm in the South Sea Islands. On returning to New Zealand he travelled for the firm throughout both islands, but started in business for himself in 1880. Mr. Nolan is president of the Egmont Racing Club of which he was also secretary for several years, and by which he was presented with a gold watch and chain as a souvenir; is president of the Opunake Racing Club, and of the Eltham Racing Club, judge of the Patea and Waverley and Waitotara racing clubs, and secretary of the Egmont Hunt Club. He was chairman of the Mokoia Domain Board before the domain was taken over by the Government, and is a director of the Hawera Permanent Building Society, and chairman of directors of the Hawera Gas Company. As a volunteer he has held the rank of lieutenant; and as a Freemason he is a Past Master of the Hawera Lodge, and Past Grand Junior Deacon of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. In 1882 he married the daughter of Major Durie, of Wanganui, and has three daughters and one son.
Mr. A. S. Tonks, Junior Partner in the firm of Messrs Nolan, Tonks and Company, was born in the year 1862, in Auckland, and is the third surviving son of the late Mr. Benjamin Tonks, a well-known auctioneer of Auckland. He was educated at Mr. Farquhar Macrae's Grammar School and the Auckland College and Grammar School; then he went into his father's office, and two years later tried farming at Kaipara. In 1882 he joined Mr. Nolan. In the absence of his partner, Mr. Tonks acts as auctioneer, but in a general way he attends mainly to the outdoor management of the business. He is prominent at polo and tennis, and is a steward and a member of the committee of the Hawera Jockey Club. In 1885 Mr. Tonks married Miss Nolan sister of his partner, and has two sons and one daughter.