The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Bank Of New South Wales has been represented in Hawera since the seventies. The branch was originally in High Street, but was subsequently removed to Princes Street, where it stands in a quarter-acre section, and contains a banking chamber, a manager's room, and a residence. The manager, Mr. Alfred William Webster, was born in New Plymouth, in the year 1864. He joined the bank in his native place, and has held various positions in different parts of the colony.
The Hawera Branch Of The Bank Of Australasia was opened as an agency in July, 1881, and was made the central branch for the district in the year 1895. The building is of wood and iron, and contains a banking chamber, a manager's room, a strong room, and a residence. The manager has five assistants.
Mr. Edward Miller Chettle was appointed Manager of the Bank of Australasia at Hawera in the year 1903. He entered the service of the bank in 1883, at Geelong, Victoria, and held numerous positions before being stationed in Hawera.
The Bank Of New Zealand at Hawera was opened in the year 1877, by Mr. W. G. White, the present manager. The building presents a good appearance, and occupies a prominent site in Princes Street, adjoining the Bank of New South Wales, and opposite the Post Oilice.
Mr. William George White, Manager of the Bank of New Zealand at Hawera, was born in Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, in 1849, and is a son of Mr. Theophilus White, of New Plymouth, who for many years was Provincial Treasurer of Taranaki. He was educated in New Plymouth, and joined the bank there in 1865. His first move was to the head office, Auckland, and subsequently he was successively at the branches in Nelson, Hokitika, Greymouth, Westport, Lyell, and Wanganui. In 1887, he took charge at Hawera, and has gained and retained the confidence and esteem of the people of the town and district. Mr. White has taken an active part in local affairs. He is president of the Hawera Institute, Hawera Horticultural Society, Hawera Cricket Club, and many other institutions, and treasurer of the Rughy Union, etc. As a vestryman and churchwarden of St. Mary's church, he has taken an active part in parish work. In 1879, he married the daughter of the late Mr. James Dingle, of New Plymouth.