The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Tait, Robert, Chemist and Druggist. High Street, Hawera. This business was established in June, 1891. It is conducted in a wood, iron, and brick building, which contains a shop with a verandah, a dispensary and a store. Mr. Tait is an importer of drugs and chemist's sundries. He was born in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, and was educated at MidCalder and at Bathgate Academy, near Edinburgh, where he studied for his profession, and passed his examination as a chemist and druggist. After some years' experience he removed to Belfast, and was employed for about three years in the old established business of Messrs Grattan and Co. Mr. Tait then came to New Zealand, and landed at Port Chalmers in April, 1881. He subsequently spent a short time in Auckland, and later, was for about nine months in Wellington. Then he entered into business on his own account in Lyttelton, where he continued for six years, before removing to Hawera. Mr. Tait has taken an interest in local affairs for some years, and is a member of the Hawera school committee, the Caledonian Society, and the Presbyterian church committee. As a Freemason he is a member of Lodge Hawera, and was for about three years Worshipful Master. In 1888 he married a daughter of the late Mr. James Donaldson, formerly gaoler at Addington, and has three sons and one daughter.
Wallace, William K., Chemist and Druggist, corner of High Street and Regent Street, Hawera. This business was established many years ago, and was acquired by Mr. Wallace in the year 1902. It is conducted in a wood and iron building, which contains a shop, a dispensary, a consulting room, and a store room. A specialty is made of cattle drenches and veterinary medicines.
Mr. W. K. Wallace was born and educated in Auckland, where he studied for his profession under Mr. Graves Aitken, whose assistant he was for two years. Mr. Wallace removed to Hawke's Bay in 1893; for twelve months he was assistant to Mr. Eccles, at Napier, and in the beginning of 1895 he took charge of the Hastings branch of the business. He subsequently settled in Taranaki, and acquired his present business at Hawera.