The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Hawera and Normanby Star was founded on the 10th of April, 1880, by Messrs P. Galvin, J. B. Innes, and J. C. Yorke. In October of the following year Mr. Galvin sold his interest to Mr. Armit. It was then conducted by Messrs Yorke, Innes, and Armit, Mr. Yorke acting as editor; and Mr. W. A. Parkinson, then a member of the Hansard staff, was engaged during the Parliamentary recesses as sub-editor and reporter. Mr. Armit retired after a short connection, and about the year 1890 Mr. Innes sold his interest to Mr. Yorke, who became sole proprietor. Four years later Mr. Parkinson acquired the journal from Mr. Yorke. The Hawera and Normanby Star is an eight-page daily paper, with seven columns on each page. It is independent in polities, and Press Association news is published daily. Special attention is devoted to the dairying industry of Taranaki. The Egmont Star is a well got up weekly edition, issued from the same office, which also publishes the Star Almanac, and West Coast Directory, an annual of about 450 pages, demy octavo. The domicile of the business is in High Street; and the premises, of wood, iron, and brick, contain a full newspaper and jobbing plant, including linotypes.
Mr. William Alfred Parkinson, Proprietor of the Hawera and Normanby Star, was born in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, where he was partly educated, and afterwards attended school in Tasmania and Victoria. He was brought up as a journalist on the Launecston Examiner, and five years later went to Melbourne for a time. In 1875 Mr. Parkinson came to Wellington, under engagement to the New Zealand Times. Subsequently he joined the Parliamentary staff. and was for seventeen sessions in the Hansard Gallery, but resigned his position on becoming proprietor of the Star.