Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



The Hawera Club was established in the year 1902. The club-house is a fine building of wood and iron, erected on a freehold section of five-eighths of an acre. It contains ten rooms, including a large billiard room with one of Alcock's tables, a reading room, a card room, bedrooms and stewards' quarters, besides bathrooms and lavatories. There is a membership of one hundred. Officers for 1906: Mr. H. W. Sutton (chairman of committee). Mr. J. A. Turton (secretary), and Mr. T. L. Agar (manager).

Mr. Thomas L. Agar was appointed Manager of the Hawera Club in the year 1904. He was born in 1876 in Lyttelton, where he was educated, and afterwards assisted his father, who was a launch proprietor. He subsequently removed to Wellington, and was, amongst other things, acting-second butler at Government House, in Lord Ranfurly's time. In 1903 Mr. Agar married a daughter of Mr. J. H. Jones, of New Brighton, Christchurch.