The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Hawera Parish Of The Anglican Church extends from about two miles beyond Normanby to the sea on the south-west, to the boundary of the parish of Patea on the south-east, and of Eltham on the north. It includes the settlements of Normanby, Mokoia, Whakamara, Mere Mere, Ararata, and Fraser road. The principal church, which is known as St. Mary's, is situated at the corner of Princes Street and Glover road, Hawera, on a site of half an acre. The original building was erected in the year 1882, and was subsequently replaced by the present fine brick church. The vicarage stands on a site of an acre in Glover road. St. Paul's church at Normanby was erected about the year 1890. In the year 1905 a brick church, known as St. James, was opened at Mokoia; and, together with the land on which it stands, was presented to the church by Mrs Lysaght.
The Rev. John Attwood Jacob, M.A., was appointed Vicar of Hawera in the year 1902; he was ordained deacon in 1890, and priest in the following year. He came to New Zealand after some years' experience in England, to take charge of the Hawera parish.
The Presbyterian Church at Hawera occupies a site of an acre at the corner of High Street and Argyle Street. The original building is now (1906) used as a Sunday school, and the church which took its place was opened on the 23rd of March, 1903. It is of wood and iron, with brick foundations and a handsome spire, and has accommodation for 350 persons. Services are held morning and evening every Sunday. The land on which the church is built was given by the late Mr. Winks. The manse is situated in Argyle Street, on a site of two acres and a-half. At Normanby there is a small Presbyterian church, where services are regularly held, and visits are paid periodically to Okaiawa, and three other places.
The Rev. Archibald H. Treadwell, B.A., was inducted to the charge of the Hawera Presbyterian church in the year 1904. He died at Wanganui on the the 25th of August, 1906, and his successor had not been appointed when this article went to press.
St. Joseph's Church, Hawera, is a fine building with a handsome spire, and stands in three acres of nicely laid out grounds, on which are also situated the convent schools and presbytery. The first church was erected at Waihi, near Normanby, and afterwards removed to Hawera. It was rebuilt in the year 1877, and now (1906) forms part of the school. The present church was built in 1886, and is capable of accommodating 300 persons. Two masses are said each Sunday, so that the 600 adult parishioners may have an opportunity of assisting. The parish, which has been sub-divided twice within the past five years, now includes Manaia and Okaiawa, where services are held every Sunday. Six Sisters conduct the convent school in Hawera, where there are 150 pupils, and four Sisters teach seventy pupils at Manaia. Both schools are under the supervision of the State school inspectors, and music, painting, drawing, typewriting, shorthand, and fancy work are taught, as well as the ordinary branches of education.
The Very Reverend Father Power, Parish Priest, was born at Dungarvan, Ireland, and was educated at the Augustinian Seminary of Dungarvan, at Mount Melleray Abbey, and afterwards at All Hallows', Dublin, where he was ordained, in the year 1887. Subsequently he came to New Zealand, and was curate at St. Mary's Cathedral, Wellington, for six years, pastor of Patea for one year, and of Waipawa for four years, where he introduced the Sisters of St. Joseph, and built a convent and schools at a cost of £1300. Some years later he was appointed Irremovable Rector of Hawera. Since then he has built schools at Eltham, Hawera, and Manaia, a fine church at Kaponga, a convent at Manaia, where he introduced the Sisters, and a presbytery at Hawera. The parish is now one of the best equipped in New Zealand.
Father O'Dwyer, Assistant Priest at Hawera, was born in the County of Tipperary, Ireland, where he was ordained in June, 1905.
The Hawera Circuit Of The Methodist Church Of Australasia, was originally part of the Patea circuit, but in the year 1906 it was made a separate circuit. The original Patea circuit is now divided into five districts; namely, Hawera, Eltham, Stratford, Opunake and Patea circuits. The Hawera circuit includes the borough of Hawera and the town districts of Normanby and Manaia. The principal church stands in Regent Street, Hawera; and the original building, which did duty for many years, is now used as a Sunday school. The foundation stone of the new church was laid with Masonic honours, on the 9th of November, 1905, and was opened for divine service in April, 1906. The building stands on concrete and brick foundations, is completed in wood and iron, and has a well-finished interior. The church has a fine choir gallery, and a handsome rostrum, and there is room for 400 persons. The building was completed at a cost of £1500. The Sunday school is attended by 140 children, who are in charge of fourteen teachers. There is a commodious parsonage in connection with the charge.
Mr Richard Lavard Hutchens was appointed Choirmaster of the Methodist church at Hawera in the year 1899. He was born in the year 1865, in Penzance, Cornwall, England, where he was educated, and brought up to the boot trade. In 1879 he came to New Zealand, landed in Lyttelton, and was for a number of years connected with the boot trade in Canterbury. Mr. Hutchens removed to Taranaki in 1894, and after spending a short time on a bush farm at Opunake, settled in Hawera, where he opend a boot shop. Subsequently he retired from this business, and has since given up his time entirely to matters connected with music. He commenced playing the flute at the age of seven years. In 1879 Mr. Hutchens married a daughter of the late Mr. Oliver Hosking, of Penzance, Cornwall, England, and has two sons and one daughter. His youngest son has shown marked musical ability, and is (1906) studying at the Royal Academy, London. Mr. hutchens is further referred to as a teacher of music.