Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



The Stratford Parish Of The Anglican Church until lately included the settlements of Midhurst, Waipuku, Cardiff, Toko, Strathmore, and Whangamomona, but the two last named places are now in the charge of the Home Mission. The parish was constituted about the year 1891, with the Rev. A. English as the first incumbent. Holy Trinity church, Stratford was erected in 1890 on the East road, and was enlarged in 1899. It is built of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 200 persons. There is also a Sunday school, with about 170 children, in charge of thirteen teachers. Services are held regularly in the various townships. The vicarage which has lately been enlarged and renovated, stands on a section of two acres and a half of land in Orlando Street.

The Rev. Cecil Alexander Burns Watson, B.A., was appointed Vicar of Stratford in the year 1903. He was born in 1870, in London, England, where he was partly educated. In 1890, He went to Tasmania, and in 1893 came to New Zealand. He subsequently studied at St. John's College, Auckland, and at the Auckland University, Where he graduated B.A. in 1902. Mr. Watson was ordained
McAllister, photo.Rev. C. A. B. Watson.

McAllister, photo.
Rev. C. A. B. Watson.

page 170 deacon in 1898, and priest in 1901, His first appointment was as assistant curate of West Tamaki, near Auckland, and afterwards he became vicar. In the year 1903, he married the second daughter of Mr. Thomas Coates, of Auckland, and has two sons.

The Stratford Parish Of The Presbyterian Church dates from the year 1891. The district covers the country between Eltham and Inglewood, and extends as far as Whangamomona. The principal church is St. Andrews, which stands on half an acre of land in Regan Street. Stratford. It is of wood and iron, was built in 1902, and has accommodation for 250 adults. The old church has since been used as a Sunday school. Services are also held in various parts of the district, and there is a Presbyterian church at Toko.

The Rev. James Millar Thomson, M.A., has been in charge at Stratford since June, 1905. He was born in Turakina, in 1872, graduated B.A. in 1896, and M.A. with second class honours in the following year. Mr. Thomson was ordained in 1901 at Lincoln, Canterbury.

The Stratford Parish Of The Roman Catholic Church extends from Ngaire on the south to Waipuku in the north, and goes as far east as the settlement of Whangamomona. The principal church in the district is known as the Church of the Immaculate Conception, and is situated in Mirada Street, Stratford. It stands on a half-acre section, and was erected in February, 1894. The building is of wood and iron, and has seats for 300 persons. The presbytery, convent, and school stand on a section of about three acres on the opposide side of Miranda Street.

The Very Rev. Patrick Treacy, Priest-is-charge of the Stratford Parish since 1901, was born in County Limerick, Ireland. He was ordained at Waterford in the year 1881, and came out to Wellington, New Zealand, in the same year. Before settling in Stratford, Father Treacy had been stationed at Lyttelton, Masterton, Kumara, Geraldine, Hawarden and New Plymouth.

The Stratford Circuit Of The Methodist Church Of Australasia includes the settlements of Ngaire, Cardiff and Toko. The principal church in the district is at Stratford. It is known as Wesley church, and stands on a quarter-acre section at the corner of East road and Cordelia Street. It is of wood and iron, and has seats for 260 persons. The Sunday school, which is under the charge of ten teachers, is attended by 120 children. There is a small church at Cardiff with seats for 100 persons, and services are also regularly held at Ngaire and Toko.

The Rev. John Wesley Griffin, Minister in charge of the Stratford circuit, was appointed in April, 1901. He was born in Dublin, Ireland, in the year 1853. Mr. Griflin was for some years a minister of the Free Methodist church before the Union took place. Before arriving in Stratford, he had been stationed successively at Pahiatua, Kimbolton and Whangarei. He was married, in 1876, to a daughter of the late Mr. A. Hood, of Auckland, and has, surviving, six sons and two daughters.

The Primitive Methodist Body has been represented in Stratford since July, 1889, when periodical visits were begun from New Plymouth. The district was formed into a separate circuit in March, 1890, and the first church was erected about that time on a quarter-acre section fronting Broadway. In less than three years it became necessary to enlarge the building. The present convenient new church, which replaced the old one in September, 1899, is of wood and iron, and has seats for 250 persons. The old building is now used as a Sunday school room, and there are eighty scholars under the charge of eleven teachers. The town of Eltham was originally worked from Stratford, but this has latterly been constituted a separate circuit. There is also at Midhurst a wood and iron church, which was erected about the year 1892, and has seats for eighty adults. Services are held regularly at various points in the settlements round Stratford.

The Rev. Thomas Harwood Lyon, Minister of the Primitive Methodist Circuit at Stratford, was stationed at Greendale, Canterbury, before taking up his duties at Stratford in April, 1906.

The Salvation Army has been represented in Stratford since the year 1891. The barracks in Fenton Street were erected in 1894, and adjoin the railway line. The building is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 250 adults. There are two vestries. Services are held regularly in Stratford, and also at Midhurst, Toko, and Huiroa. The soldiers in Stratford number thirty-one, and the corps is in charge of Ensign Joseph Brookes, who was appointed in August, 1905.