The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Ironmongers and Engineers
Ironmongers and Engineers.
Harkness, Bertram, Engineer and Cycle Agent, Juliet Street, Stratford. This business was established in the year 1896, but the premises now occupied were not erected until December, 1902. They consist of a one-storied wood and iron building, which contains a double-fronted shop, part of which is divided off as a cycle show room, and a workroom. The plant includes a four horse-power Pelton water wheel, lathes and drilling, shaping, grinding, and other machines, Mr. Harkness Imports Allday and Onion cycles, and builds machines from Birmingham Small Arms parts. He was born in 1872, in Wanganui, was educated in Hawera, and learned engineering in Wellington, under the firm of S. Luke and Company, Limited, by whom he was employed for six years. He subsequently settled in Stratford, and founded his present business. In 1899 Mr. Harkness married a daughter of Mr. F. Hawkins, of Makara, Wellington, and has two daughters and one son.
Ward, S. and Co. (Sidney Arthur Ward), Ironmongers and Hardware Merchants, Broadway, Stratford. This business was founded by Mr. S. A. Ward in May, 1899, and is conducted in large, suitable, and specially fitted up premises. The firm does a large indenting trade, and its customers are scattered over the surrounding districts, as far as the back blocks. Three persons are employed. Mr. Ward is further referred to as a member of the Stratford Borough Council.