The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Collier and Colonial Piano Company, limited ; Head Office, New Plymouth; Stratford branch, Broadway, Stratford. This branch was established in the year 1902, and is conducted in a wood and iron building, which contains a shop, an office, and a workroom. About twenty pianos are usually in stock for selection, and there is a staff of experts engaged in tuning. All kinds of musical instruments and music are kept in stock.
Mr. Herbert Ernest Rountree, J.P., was appointed Manager of the Stratford branch of the Collier and Colonial Piano Company in the year 1902. He was born in June, 1872, at the Thames, Auckland, and was educated in Christchurch. Mr. Rountree started in business on his own account, as a general storekeeper, at Poro-o-taroa and Ongarue, in the year 1900. While there he organisised the Ongarue Liberal League, and was appointed its secretary. He was also chairman of the Ongarue and Poro-o-taroa Storekeepers' Association. He sold out his interests in 1902, and was manager for the Colonial Piano Company, at New Plymouth, until two years ago, when it amalgamated with Collier and Company. Then he removed to Stratford, where he is manager of the Collier and Colonial Piano Company (United), Limited. He is at present (1906) secretary for the North Island West Coast Band Association. Mr. Rountree is the composer of the Auckland Exhibition barn dance, and takes an active interest in musical matters. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in the year 1901.
The Stratford Municipal Brass Band was established in the year 1891 under the name of the Stratford Town Band, and received its present name in 1903. It has competed at local contests, and at Hawera and Wanganui. There is a membership of twenty-four, and Mr. T. G. Grubb is chairman and bandmaster.