Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



The Stratford Racing Club was founded in 1891. Officers for the year 19006: Dr. T. L. Paget (president), and Messrs A. W. Budge (vice-president), S. Pitt (treasurer), W. H. Hartgill (judge), J. Henry (handicapper), and J. R. Mackay (secretary). The property of the club is situated on Pembroke road, and consists of ninety-four acres of freehold land, with a racecourse, one mile long, and a training track, seven furlongs in length. The fine grand stand of wood and iron will seat 1,500 persons, and there is also a smaller stand. The annual meeting is held on St. Patrick's Day, and is a popular gathering. The stakes amount to over £1000.

Mr. John Reay Mackay was appointed Secretary of the Stratford Racing Club in the year 1901. He was born in Nelson, and is a son of Mr. Joseph Mackay, who was at one time headmaster of the Wellington College. Mr. Mackay was educated at Wellington College, studied for his profession as a surveyor in Stratford, and qualified in 1899. He is further referred to as a member of the firm of Orbell and Mackay, engineers and surveyors.