The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Lepperton is a dairy-farming district ten miles from New Plymouth by rail, and eleven by road. Its railway station is two miles from Sentry Hill, and seen miles from Inglewood, and stands at an elevation of 249 feet above sea level. The settlement forms part of the Paritutu survey district of the Taranaki land district, and is in the Waitara riding of the county of Taranaki. The first settlers in the district were military men, who took up their holdings at the time of the Maori war; indeed, the place gets its name from Major Lepperton. Daily mails are received and despatched at the post office, at the local store, which also contains a telephone bureau. Besides its store, Lepperton has a butchery, a co-operative factory, and a public school.
Hall, George . Carpenter, Lepperton. Mr. Hall was born in the year 1840 at Winterton, Lincolnshire, England, where he was educated, and learned carpentry. He afterwards came to New Zealand in the ship “Matoaka,” with Ball's Party, which consisted of upwards of eighty souls from Prigg, Lincolnshire. Mr. Hall arrived in Wellington on the 11th of September, 1859, and left on the 15th for Auckland, where he landed on the 25th of the same month. He worked at his trade for seven years, and removed to New Plymouth in December, 1866. Mr. Hall bought into the No. 2 Military Settlers Company, which then had nine months to serve, and was stationed at Lepperton. He worked at his trade, and also carried on bush farming up till 1899, when he and his wife went for a nine months' trip to the Old Country. Mr. Hall married a daughter of the late Mr. Reardon, of Liverpool. England, in the year 1863, and has eight daughters and one son. Mr. Hall has followed carpentry since the year 1854, and one man has now (1906) been in his employment for twenty years, and page 132 another for twelve years. He employs labour for his farm.
Mr. G. Hall.
Mr. N. E. McTaggart.