The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Fitzroy is a suburb of New Plymouth, and is about two miles from the General Post Office. It contains a public school, four churches, some places of business and a post office with a telephone bureau. The New Plymouth borough abbatoirs are located at Fitzroy, and so also is the factory of the local co-operative dairy company. Fitzroy is a residential suburb, and a number of the business people of New Plymouth reside there. There is regular and frequent communication by omnibus with New Plymouth. Fitzroy is in the Paritutu survey district of the Taranaki land district, and in the Waitara riding of the county of Taranaki.
The Taranaki Co-Operative Bacon Company, Limited, was established in March, 1905. The nominal capital is £5000, of which about one-half is subscribed. Directors for the year 1906: Messrs R. Price (chairman), A. Monro, F. Salway, C. Warren, T. Rowe, C. Colson, C. Andrew, P. Wilcox, and J. Whitaker. Mr. R. Pepperell is secretary, and Mr. H. Whittington, factory manager. The office and factory of the company are situated at Fitzroy. The factory was originally established in 1896 by Mr. Alfred Drake, who subsequently sold out to the company in 1905. It stands on a site of two acres, and is of wood, iron, and brick, with concrete floors. The plant is capable of dealing with 7000 bacon pigs per annum. These are bought in the open market, and the produce is sold in the colony or exported.page 127
Mr. Henry Whittington, Manager of the Taranaki Co-operative Bacon Company's Factory at Fitzroy, was born in Durham, England, in the year 1868, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1878. He was educated in New Plymouth, and started work in the machine room of the Taranaki Herald. He subsequently took up gardening, which he followed for about four years, and, later, was employed at a tannery for eight years. He then returned to gardening, and worked for some time with Mr. Mason at Taita, in the Hutt district. Mr. Whittington returned to Taranaki, and, in 1900, became manager of Mr. Drake's bacon factory. The factory was afterwards taken over by the Taranaki Co-operative Bacon Company, Limited, and Mr. Whittington was retained as manager. He is married.
Mr. Reuben Pepperell, Secretary of the Taranaki Co-operative Bacon Company, was born in the year 1869 at Bell Block, where he was educated and brought up to country pursuits. He settled down to farming on the property on which he was born at Bell Block, and took over the farm at his father's death in 1890. Mr. Pepperell is secretary of the Bell Block, Hurworth, and Hillsborough Co-operative Dairy Companies. He married a daughter of Mr. T. Clare, of Waitara, in 1891, and has two daughters and one son.
The Bell Block Co-Operative Dairy Company, Limited, was established in the year 1895. Directors for 1906: Messrs F. Salway (chairman), J. B. Connett, S. Rundle, T. French, and J. L. Connett. Mr. R. Pepperell is secretary. The plant ranks among the best in the district, and there are thirty-five suppliers.
The Hurworth Co-Operative Dairy Company, Limited, was established in the year 1897. The factory is situated on the Carrington road, about seven miles from New Plymouth. Directors for 1906: Messrs J. B. Riley (chairman), W. Seamark, R. Gilbert, J. B. Pepperell and F. Shodroski. Mr. R. Pepperell is secretary. The butter from this factory won the gold medal at the New Plymouth Exhibition. There are fifteen suppliers.
Mr. Alfred Drake, formerly proprietor of the Taranaki Bacon Factory, was born in London, England in 1847. After being educated at Margate, he was apprenticed to the ironmongery trade with Messrs Barron and Wilson, of that town. He was subsequently in business as an ironmonger in London on his own account for about fifteen years. Mr. Drake did well in business, but in 1887 he came out to New Zealand in the “Ruapehu,” and selected Taranaki as his future home. He identified himself with local affairs, but, tiring of a life of inactivity, he entered business by establishing the Taranaki Bacon Factory, which he conducted with great success, and ultimately sold to its present owners.page 128
Chivers, Alfred, Carrier, Fitzroy. Mr. Chivers was born in Chippenham, Wiltshire, England, in October, 1850, and was educated at Derby Hill. He landed in Wellington from the ship “Waikato” in the year 1874, and settled in New Plymouth. Mr. Chivers was in the service of the New Plymouth Borough Council for over twenty-one years, having charge of the horses. He subsequently settled at Fitzroy, and has since conducted business as a carrier. As an Odd-fellow he has twice passed the chairs in Lodge Egmont. Mr. Chivers married a daughter of the late Mr. Abraham Percy, of Dorsetshire, England, in 1871. Mrs Chivers died in 1904, leaving an adopted son.