The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Kaimata nestles in a pretty little valley, five miles east of Inglewood, on the Junction road, at the intersection of a cross road. It is the centre of a rich dairy-farming district. The settlement has a public school, and the local creamery is one of the largest in the colony; 4,200 gallons of milk were daily put through the separators during the season of 1905–6. The business of the post office and telephone bureau is conducted at the residence of the creamery manager. Beyond Kaimata, Junction road continues for about five miles, and passes over a most picturesque zigzag to the settlement of Tarata, between which and Inglewood there is daily communication by coach. Originally, the site of the village of Kaimata and of the surrounding settlement was covered by dense bush, most of which had been cleared away by the year 1893. It is undulating well watered country, and is in the hands of industrious and prosperous settlers. The Manganui river flows through the settlement, which is in the Huiroa survey district of the Taranaki land district, and is a part of the Moa riding of the county of Taranaki. Kaimata lies north-east of Mount Egmont.
The Kaimata Public School was opened in July, 1890. It is a wood and iron building, and contains two class rooms, and two porches. Accommodation is provided for sixty pupils. There are fifty-seven names on the roll, and the average attendance is fifty. The headmaster is assisted by a mistress. There is a convenient residence adjoining the school.
Mr. Hugh Alexander Livingstone was appointed headmaster of the Kaimata Public School in March, 1902. He was born in 1872, at Cust, Canterbury, was educated at Summerhill, near Cust, and served as a pupil teacher at Barry's Bay. After one year at the Normal School, Christchurch, he was appointed sole teacher at Eiffelton, near Long Beach, Canterbury, in July, 1893. Four years later, Mr. Livingstone was transferred to Wakanui, where he continued until he received his present appointment. In 1900 he married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Hayman, of Studholme, Canterbury, and has one son and one daughter.
Brittan, Edgar James, Farmer, “Zig-Zag,” Kaimata. Mr. Brittan's property consists of over 236 acres, on which he conducts dairying. He was born in Hertfordshire, England, where he was educated, and for some years he was connected with mercantile life in London. Mr. Brittan came to New Zealand in 1896, and settled in Taranaki. In 1900 he took a trip to the Old Country, and on his return settled at Kaimata. Mr. Brittan married a daughter of Mr. J. Crozier, of New Plymouth, in the year 1905, and has one son.
Burwell, Albert Edward, Farmer, Kaimata. Mr. Burwell's farm consists of 207 acres of freehold land, on which he conducts dairy farming. Mr. Burwell was born at sea, on the American ship “Autocrat,” between San Francisco and Callao, in October, 1865, and is the son of a sea captain. He was educated at the Waterloo High School, near Liverpool, England, and at St. John's College, Grimsargh, near Preston, Lancashire, and was afterwards for about three years in the wholesale trade in America. In 1886, he came to New Zealand, settled in the Kaimata district, and took up eighty-eight acres of land, which, with the exception of ten acres, was covered with bush. He subsequently increased this area to 207 acres. Mr. Burwell is a member of the Kaimata school committee. In 1897, he married a daughter of Mr. John Minchin, of Inglewood, and has two sons and two daughters.
Capper, George, Farmer, Dairy Brook Farm, Kaimata. Dairy Brook Farm consists of 320 acres of freehold land. It is undulating country, all ploughable, with the exception of about twenty acres. The land will maintain on an average twenty-five cows to each 100 acres, in addition to horses and young stock. Mr. Capper was born in the year 1853, in Astbury, Cheshire, England, where he was educated and brought up to farming. He came to New Zealand in 1875, and settled in Taranaki. Mr. Capper was then for fourteen years in business as a road contractor near Stratford. He removed to the Inglewood district, farmed 215 acres at Tariki road, and afterwards took up 156 acres in Inglewood. This property he sold in October, 1904, and subsequently acquired Dairy Brook Farm. Mr Capper was for about eight years a member of the Manganui Road Board, and was also chairman for part of the time; he was a member of the Stratford Town Board, and was for three years a member of the Stratford Licensing Committee. In December, 1877, he married a daughter of the late Mr. John Hill, of Stratford, and has five sons and eight daughters.
Haverbier, Hans August, Farmer, “Thorncliffe,” Kaimata. Mr. Haverbier was born in the year 1844, in Holstein, Germany, where he was educated, and brought up to farming. He afterwards learned the trade of a silk-and-wool weaver, and gained experience in various large factories in Germany. He became an expert in connection with his trade, and was employed for seven years in Saxony as a teacher of weaving in Government Industrial Schools. Mr. Haverbier subsequently came to New Zealand, arrived in New Plymouth in 1874, and settled in the Inglewood district, before there were any roads. He after-wars helped to fell the bush which covered the site of the borough of Inglewood. On his arrival in New Zealand he could not speak a word of English. About 1887 Mr. Haverbier removed to Kaimata, where he look up a farm of 201 acres of freehold land. He has been a member of the Moa Road Board, and of the Kaimata school committee; for five years he was a director of the Moa Farmers' Union, and was a director of the Moa Dairy Company for about ten years, during which he was chairman for two years. In 1869 he married a daughter of the late Herr Brentigam, of Saxony, and has four daughters, and two sons, and five grandchildren.
Mr. and Mrs H. A. Haverbier.
Jenkins, Eldon Francis, Farmer, Kaimata. Mr. Jenkins leases 203 acres of education endowment land, and milks as many as forty-two cows, chiefly of the Jersey-Holstein page 159 breed. He was born in February, 1872, in Liverpool, England, and was educated in Lincolnshire, and at Hull, in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In the year 1891 he came to New Zealand, and after some experience on the West Coast goldfields, removed to Taranaki, and began farming about the year 1898. He was for some time in partnership with his brother, before settling on his own account at Kaimata. Mr. Jenkins is a member of the Kaimata branch of the Farmers' Union, of which he was secretary for some time. He married a daughter of Mr. H. T. Smythe, of Kaimata, in March, 1900, and has one son.
Taylor, George Samuel, Farmer, Puriri Farm, Kaimata. This property consists of 363 acres of land. When taken over by Mr. Taylor there were about 200 acres of standing bush, but this has now all been levelled, with the exception of shelter patches. Mr Taylor does not believe in having all his eggs in one basket, and the system of alternating grazing paddocks has been adopted by him. By this means the quality of the grass is very much improved, and the best results are obtained for dairying purposes. He started with cross-bred cows, but is now working with the best strains of Ayrshire, and has an imported bull of that breed. Mr. Taylor is a son of Mr. C. W. Taylor, and was born in the year 1870, in Lincoln, England. He was brought to New Zealand at an early age, and landed in New Plymouth by the ship “Urenui,” on her first trip, in 1875. Mr. Taylor was educated in the New Plymouth district, and was brought up to country life. In conjunction with his father, he took up sixty-one and a-half acres of land, on the deferred payment system, in 1888, and this property has been increased until the area now amounts to 363 acres. In 1890, Mr. Taylor married a daughter of the late Mr. W. Henry Heal, one of the first settlers in the Moa district, and has seven sons and two daughters.
Mr G. S. Taylor.
Webster, Sidney, Farmer, Kaimata. Mr. Webster's property consists of 102 acres of freehold land, on which he conducts dairy farming. He was born in Lyon road, Bexley Heath, Kent, England, in the year 1869, and was educated in the Upper School in connection with Dulwich College. Mr. Webster was brought up to the grocery trade in London, where he remained for ten years. He then came to New Zealand, and landed in Taranaki in 1896. Subsequently he acquired a farm at Carrington road, New Plymouth, and worked it for five years. This property he afterwards exchanged for one at Tarata, an education lease of 368 acres. Later on, Mr. Webster acquired his present property. In 1901, he married a daughter of Mr. J. B. Riley, of Carrington road, and has one son.
Mr. and Mrs S. Webster.