The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Site Of The Picturesque Borough Of Inglewood was, in the year 1874, a dense mass of virgin bush. Most of the surrounding land was originally sold on deferred payment, in sections of from fifty to eighty acres. A strong batch of Lincolnshire settlers were among the first to arrive on the scene; among them such men as Messrs J. King, F. Clough, R. and W. Urry, T. Bishell, and W. H. Franklyn. The settlers were of a very suitable type, and first found employment in cutting the bush on the main roads, and preparing the township. They were accorded the right to the first selection of agricultural land. Soon afterwards there was a considerable influx of settlers from Europe, and these included natives of Poland, Russia, Germany, Denmark, and other countries. It is stated that it was no uncommon thing to hear seven or eight different languages spoken on the verandah of the first hotel, in the early days. The felling of the bush and the building of rough slab huts of two rooms each, for the accommodation of the immigrants, constituted the principal employment of the first settlers. In 1877, Inglewood consisted of two hotels and several stores; the site of the town had been surveyed, and roads had been laid out but not metalled. At that time there were 700 or 800 people in the locality, the greater number of whom were living in whares, and a large number could not get on to their land until clearings had been made in the bush. Two mills were then working in the neighbourhood; the railway had been opened from New Plymouth to Sentry Hill, and was extended about the end of 1877 to Inglewood.
Inglewood to-day is governed by a Borough Council, which was constituted on the 8th of April, 1903, prior to which the governing body, for some years, had been the Inglewood Town Board. There is a large co-operative dairy factory, the machinery of which is driven by an electric motor, supplied by the local Electric Light and Power Company. About a mile out of the township, towards Egmont Village, there is a large and successful bacon-curing factory. The Moa Farmers' Co-operative Company carries on a large store in the borough, and besides this establishment, all branches of the retail trade are fully represented by well-equipped places of business. The Bank of New Zealand and Bank of New South Wales have local branches. Inglewood has its own railway station, a large modern brick Post and Telegraph Office and a police station. The professions are represented by a resident medical man and two solicitors. The railway line passes right through the centre of the borough. Saturday is the regular market day, when the town is made busy by the presence of country settlers. There are two sawmills at work. Accommodation for travellers is provided by two hotels, and an excellent coffee palace. There is a large public school in Inglewood, which is the headquarters of the Moa Road Board. The town also has a newspaper, the Inglewood Record, which is referred to in another article. There are Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodist, Roman Catholic and Primitive Methodist churches in the town. The railway station stands at an altitude of 657 feet above sea level on the main trunk line, New Plymouth to Wellington, and is seventeen miles from the former, and 230 miles from the latter, via Manawatu. The town has about twenty-four acres of reserves, and the recreation grounds are planted with shrubs and shelter trees, and supplied with seats. Trimble Park, which is intersected by Rata Street, is utilised for the benefit of the residents. The borough is surrounded by the Moa riding of the county of Taranaki. Its population at the census of 1901 was 719, which had increased to 1152 at the census of 1906; a substantial increase. Inglewood, which is in the Egmont survey district of the Taranaki land district, is intersected at Mountain road by the Junction road, by which it is fourteen miles from New Plymouth, via Egmont Village. The borough lies to the south-east of the provincial capital, and to the north-east of Mount Egmont. The Waiongono stream runs to the north and west of Inglewood, and the Manganui river and its tributaries are to the south and east. Inglewood is the centre of a very large and prosperous dairy country, and factories and creameries are seen in all directions.
The Inglewood Borough Council dates from the 8th of April, 1903, when the first Mayor and councillors were elected. It has jurisdiction over an area of 703 acres of land, part of block 4 in the Egmont survey district. The borough is intersected by the Government railway—New Plymouth to Wellington line—and extends for about a mile on the west side, and about a quarter of a mile on the east side, where it terminates at the cemetery.
The total capital value of all rateable property within the borough is £125,214, on which a general rate of 1½d in the £ is levied. The borough took over a debt of £600, from the old Town Board, and in consequence a general rate of one-twelfth of a penny in the pound is levied to cover interest. The borough includes the whole of the district governed by the late Town Board, and certain areas taken out of the Moa road district, which surrounds the borough. A loan of £200 was taken over from the Moa Road Board, and a rate of one-sixteenth of a penny in the pound is levied for interest charges. Since the incorporation, £101 has been raised for repairing the Waiongono road, and £154 for improving the Windsor road; these loans necessitate special rates of one-eighth and one-twelfth of a penny respectively, to cover interest and sinking fund. Some time ago the Council authorised a loan of £14,000 to be raised by debentures in the colony, at five per cent interest; namely, for a water supply, estimated to cost £9000; for drainage and sewerage, £3000; and £2000 for general street improvements. The total revenue of the borough for the year ending March, 1905, was £1,558; which included license fees from publicans, auctioneers, carriers and boarding houses, amounting to £145. The borough has a reserve which is leased for a period of twenty-one years, and this, together page 147 with the buildings owned by the borough, brings in a rental of £121 per annum. In the building occupied for Borough Council offices, there is also a library, which is managed by a local committee. The recreation reserve of twenty-five acres has been considerably improved, and is used as a sports ground. The local fire brigade is subsidised by the borough, and a cemetery of three acres in extent is under the jurisdiction of the Council. The drainage of the borough is on the septic tank principle. Inglewood is lighted by electricity, under contract with the local company; at first twenty-five lights were installed, and the number was increased as required. The Borough Council offices are situated in Rata Street, and in 1906 the members of the Council were: Messrs W. E. Percival (Mayor), G. W. Bennett, J. W. Winfield, D. H. McDonald, E. Nops, H. W. Tarplee, and F. H. Brown. Officers: Messrs W. Ogier, Town Clerk and Treasurer, and L. G. P. Spencer, Borough Engineer.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. William Edward Percival, was first elected Mayor of Inglewood, in April, 1905. He was born in Richmond, Virginia, America, in the year 1856, but was educated in the North of England, and for some years was connected with the management of estates. In 1888 he came to New Zealand, and joined Mr. Alfred Perry, after having had some farming experience and considerable insight into colonial life. The firm of Perry and Percival afterwards became that of Percival and Messenger. Before becoming Mayor of Inglewood, Mr. Percival had gained considerable experience in local government as clerk of the Moa Road Board.
Mr. William Ogier, Town Clerk and Treasurer of the Borough of Inglewood, was appointed to the position on the 21st of September, 1905. He is a native of St. Helier's, Jersey, was born in 1872, and was educated in his native island. In 1893 he landed in Wellington, where he continued for about eighteen months. After being two years on the Auckland goldfields, he settled in Taranaki, and was for several years employed by Messrs H. Brown and Company, timber merchants and sawmillers. For some time he was foreman at their Eltham yards and butter box factory, and continued in that township until that branch of the business was disposed of when he removed to Inglewood, where he was employed by the same firm for two years. Mr. Ogier was then farming for two years at Huirangi, on his own account. Then he returned to Inglewood, and became proprietor of the Inglewood Fruit Company, which he still conducts. Mr. Ogier was married in June, 1903, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Shore, of Mokau, and has one daughter.
Mr. W. Ogier.
Mr. Leonard Grantley Paoli Spencer is a native of Tavistock, Devonshire, England, where he was educated. He was an engineering pupil on the Cornwall Railway, under Mr. T. H. Gibbons, M.I.C.E., and Assistant Engineer on the Plymouth-Devonport and South Western Junction Railway, under Sir J. W. Szlumper, M.I.C.E. In the year 1888 he came to New Zealand, and was employed as contractor's engineer on the Reefton section of the Midland railway, by J. R. Rees and Co., until the completion of the work. Subsequently, he was employed in Tasmania on railway location and construction, harbour and municipal works. Mr. Spencer was afterwards for four years in charge of a division of the Assam-Bengal railway, which he constructed. In 1896 he returned to New Zealand, and was engaged in a great variety of engineering works on the West Coast of the South Island, and in Wellington and Taranaki. He is at present (1906) engaged in designing and carrying out water supply, drainage, and other works for the Inglewood Borough Council. Mr. Spencer is an Associate Member of the Institute of Civil Engineers, a member of the Incorporated Association of Municipal and County Engineers, and a Licensed Municipal Surveyor, of Victoria.
Mr. Joseph Clarke Peach, formerly Chairman of the Inglewood Town Board, and a member from its inception, until his health failed, was the promoter of the scheme to raise £600 under the Loan to Local Bodies Act, for the formation of streets and footpaths. The whole of the work has been carried out, and great credit is due to Mr. Peach for his energetic action in this and other matters for the welfare of the town. Mr. Peach was born in Northamptonshire, England, where he was educated, and was brought up to the boot trade. In the year 1860 he joined the Army, and came to New Zealand with the 57th Regiment in 1861, landing in Taranaki. Mr. Peach served through the Taranaki war, and holds the Imperial medal. His regiment then returned to England, and shortly afterwards went to Ceylon, Mr. Peach being then colour-sergeant. In 1875 he obtained his discharge, came again to New Zealand, and commenced business as a boot and shoe dealer in Inglewood. He has been closely connected with public matters for nearly thirty years, and has done much for the advancement of the town. Mr. Peach was chairman of the Inglewood Cemetery Board for many years, and chairman of the Inglewood Domain Board. As a member of the Ancient Order of Foresters, he has been secretary for over twenty-five years, and was one of the first district officers. He is a member of the Wesleyan church, and Superintendent of the Sunday school.
The Moa Road District was established about the year 1876, and extends from Egmont Village on the west, to Tarata on the east, and adjoins the Waitara road district on the north. The total capital value of all rateable property is £463,611, on which there is a general rate of two-thirds of a penny in the pound, and the total loans amount to £28,000 under the Loans to Local Bodies Act. Members of the Board in 1906: Mr. H. Trimble (chairman), Messrs J. W. Henwood, W. Jordan, W. E. Miles, G. Marsh, G. Turner, A. Chard, T. Chainey and A. Corkill. Mr. A. E. Atkinson is clerk and treasurer.
Mr. Arthur Edward Atkinson was appointed Clerk and Treasurer of the Moa Road Board in November, 1892. He was born in 1850, in Norfolk, England, where he was brought up to farming, and came to New Zealand in 1882. Mr. Atkinson was for five years farming in the Timaru district, in Canterbury. In 1887 he settled at Inglewood; and took up a farm of 200 acres of freehold land. In 1887 he married a daughter of the late Mr. E. A. Gould, of Pleasant Point, Canterbury, and has three sons and one daughter.
The Inglewood Post Office is a substantial two-storey brick building, which was completed in February, 1902. It stands at the corner of Rata Street and Mountain road, and contains a public office, a mail room, the postmaster's room, a private box lobby, with forty-two boxes, a telegraph lobby, and a residence for the postmaster. There is a telephone exchange in Inglewood, with twenty-three subscribers. Mails are delivered twice a day in the borough. The postmaster has five assistants.
The Inglewood Police Station was established in the year 1880. It is situated on a section of half an acre at the corner of Mountain road and Brook Street. The building is of wood and iron, and contains a four-roomed residence, an office and two cells. The district extends from Lepperton, six miles to the north, to Tariki, six miles to the south, and from Albert road, six miles to the west, and to Matau, thirty miles inland.
Mr. Patrick Duddy was appointed Constable-in-charge at Inglewood in January, 1904. He was born in the year 1872, in New Plymouth, where he was educated, and joined the police force in Auckland in 1897. Mr. Duddy was subsequently transferred to Wanganui, where he was stationed for two years and ten months. He was afterwards in sole charge at Raetihi for nearly three years, before his present appointment. In 1903 he married a daughter of Mr. David Neil, of Christchurch, and has one son and one daughter.
The Inglewood Railway Station was erected about the year 1886. The building is of wood and iron, and contains a ticket lobby, a general railway office and a ladies' waiting room, etc. There is a large goods shed, and also a covered asphalted platform. About eight trains pass through the station daily. The chief exports include butter, cheese, timber, cattle, and sheep. The staff consists of a stationmaster and three assistants.
Mr. Ernest Edwin Ingpen was appointed Stationmaster at Inglewood in the year 1902. He was born in 1860 in Wellington, where he was educated, and entered the Government service at the Napier railway station, where he served for about nine years. He was subsequently at Te Aute, Halcombe, and at other places in the North Island before receiving his present appointment. Mr. Ingpen married a daughter of the late Mr. Spencer Sutton, of Te Aute, and has four sons and three daughters.
The Inglewood Public School, which fronts Rata Street, has a site of two acres. The buildings, which are of wood and iron, were originally erected in the year 1885, but the first school in the district had been opened eleven years earlier. The school buildings have been four times enlarged, and contain four class rooms and three porches. There are 290 children on the roll of the school, and the average attendance is 251. The headmaster has three assistant teachers and three pupil teachers.
Mr. James Grant, B.A., was headmaster of the Inglewood school from the year 1885, until the 31st of March, 1906, when he retired on a pension. He was succeeded in the headmastership by Mr. Burnside, who had been second master of the Central School, New Plymouth.
The Inglewood Parochial District Of The Anglican Church extends from the Waipuku river on the south, to Waiongono on the north, page 149 and from Egmont Village on the west to Matau on the east. The principal churches are St. Andrew's. Inglewood, and St. Phillip's, at Tariki, but services are conducted in seven other places. A church has also been erected at Purangi, twenty-two miles inland. St. Andrew's church is situated in Cutfield Street, Inglewood, on a quarter -acre of land, and was erected in the year 1876. It is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for one hundred persons. A parish hall, erected in 1896, adjoins the church; it, too, is of wood and iron, and has seat room for two hundred persons. There is also a Sunday school, with one hundred scholars, in charge of seven teachers.
The Rev. Herbert Reeve, M.A., was appointed Vicar of Inglewood in the year 1903. He was born at Swaffham, Norfolk, England, in 1868, and was educated at Holt Grammar School, Norfolk, and at St. John's College, Cambridge, where he graduated in 1896. Mr. Reeve was ordained to St. Matthew's church, New Kent Road, London, S.E., in the same year, and for four years was assistant curate at the parish church of Croydon. He subsequently came to New Zealand, and was appointed to the parochial district of Inglewood.
The Inglewood — Tarata Charge Of The Presbyterian Church extends from Inglewood to five miles beyond Tariki, and also to Waitui. The principal church is known as Knox church, and stands in Cutfield Street, Inglewood. It is of wood and iron, and was built in 1902, and accommodates 200 persons. There is a Sunday school, with sixty children, in charge of seven teachers. A smaller church at Tarata has seats for eighty adults, and services are held at Tariki and Waitui, in other buildings.
Mr. James Deans Webster, Home Missionary in charge at Inglewood, was born in Christchurch, in 1871, and has been stationed at Inglewood since 1902.
The Inglewood Methodist Church forms part of the Waitara circuit of the Methodist Church of Australasia. The building is of wood and iron, has seats for 200 persons, and stands on a quarter-acre section in Rata Street. An old building, now used as a schoolroom, formerly served as a church. Services are held at Waipuku and Midhurst, where there are small churches, and at public schools at Salisbury, Stanley and Lincoln roads; in the Presbyterian church at Tarata, and in the public hall at Kaimata.
The Rev. E. D. Patchett is Minister-in-charge, and was appointed in April, 1906.
The Inglewood Horticultural and Poultry Society was established in the year 1896. An annual show is held on the second Thursday in March, each year, at Inglewood. The society is supported by subscriptions and donations, for special prizes, and the revenue from admission to the show, which is steadily increasing in popularity. It is under the management of a local committee, and Mr. W. B. Messenger acts as treasurer and secretary.
Mr. Walter Bazire Messenger, who was appointed Secretary and Treasurer of the Inglewood Horticultural and Poultry Society in 1905, is a member of the firm of Messrs Percival and Messenger, estate and commission agents.
The Inglewood Brass Band was established some years ago. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs W. T. Jennings, M.H.R. (patron), B. H. Nicholls (president), G. W. Bennett (secretary and treasurer). Mr. H. W. Cottier is bandmaster.
Mr. Henry William Cottier, Bandmaster of the Inglewood Brass Band, was born in the year 1868, in New Plymouth, where he was educated, and brought up to the soft goods trade, in connection with different firms. He afterwards gained experience in Wellington and other places in the colony, and in Sydney, New South Wales, and was for six years in business on his own account in New Plymouth. He has long been interested in musical matters, and was a member of the Invercargill Garrison Band, as leading cornet, a member of King's Band, at Wellington, and of the Wanganui Garrison Band. For a number of years Mr. Cottier was bandmaster of the New Plymouth Band.
Mr. H. W. Cottier.
The Inglewood Record was established in the year 1892, and was issued every Wednesday; the Weekly Record, by the same proprietary, was published each Saturday, the Record being an advance sheet of the weekly paper. In October, 1901, the journal was acquired by Messrs T. E. Hamerton and C. E. H. Hamerton, and in December of the same year the Record became a tri-weekly paper, published on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings. It is a four-page sheet, of eight columns each, about one-third of which is reading matter. The journal was first domiciled on Mountain road, but in 1899 it was removed to the premises now (1906) occupied in Moa Street. The building is of one storey, in wood and iron, and contains a public office, an editorial room, and composing and machine rooms. The establishment is up-to-date in every respect, and the proprietors subscribe to the Press Association.
Mr. Thomas Edward Hamerton, Senior Partner of the firm of Hamerton and Son, is the fifth son of the late Mr. Holden Hamerton. He was born at “The Hollins,” near Burnley, in Laneashire, England, in the year 1841, and was educated at Burnley Grammar School. In the year 1854 he came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship “Cashmere,” and on arrival in New Plymouth was engaged on his father's farm. Mr. Hamerton went through the Taranaki war, rising from a bugler boy to the rank of lieutenant in the cavalry volunteers. Subsequently, he was captain of the Patea rifles, and held the rank until the corps was disbanded, and obtained the New Zealand war medal. He began business on his own account as a commission agent in New Plymouth in 1867, but when, in 1869, the White Cliffs massacre occurred, he again took service as a mounted volunteer. In 1873 he started in business as an accountant and auctioneer, and continued until 1881, when he removed to Patea as accountant and drafting clerk to his brother, Mr. G. Hamerton, the well known solicitor. Three years later, he took over the Patea Mail, afterwards styled the Patea County Press, and in 1901 became part proprietor of the Inglewood Record. Mr. Hamerton was a member of the last Town Board of New Plymouth, and as such became a member of the first Borough Council at its formation. In Patea he was a member of the school committee, of which he was either chairman or secretary for over twelve consecutive years. In 1865 he married Miss Parris, of New Plymouth, and has four sons and five daughters. Mr. Hamerton's second son, Mr. R. W. H. Hamerton, is town clerk of Patea, page 150 and captain of the present company of rifle volunteers, whilst his third son is the junior partner in the ownership of the Inglewood Record.
Malone, McVeagh and Anderson, Barristers and Solicitors. Head Office, New Plymouth; Inglewood branch, Mountain road, Inglewood. Mr. M. J. Crombie, manager.
Mr. Melville John Crombie, Manager of the Inglewood branch of Messrs Malone, McVeagh and Anderson, barristers and solicitors, is the fourth son of the late Mr. C. M. Crombie, formerly Land and Income Tax Commissioner for New Zealand. He was born in the year 1876, in Wellington, educated at St. Patrick's College, and at Victoria College. Having passed his final law examination in 1902 he was admitted to the bar in New Plymouth in June, 1904, and joined the firm of Messrs Malone, McVeagh and Anderson. Mr. Crombie takes a keen interest in outdoor games, and was for some years on the Management Committees of the Wellington Rugby Union and Wellington Cricket Association. He was also an active member of the Wellington Cricket Club and United Hockey Club, and has represented both Wellington and Taranaki on the cricket field. He now captains the Inglewood Cricket Club. Among other offices, Mr. Crombie held the position of honorary secretary to the St. Patrick's College Old Boys' Association until he left Wellington to settle at Inglewood.
Thomsom, Harold John Moule, Barrister and Solicitor, Mountain road, Inglewood. This practice was established in the year 1901. Mr. Thomson is agent for the New Zealand Insurance Company, and solicitor to the Moa Road Board, the Inglewood Borough Council, and the Inglewood Electric Light and Power Company, Limited. He was born in the year 1873, in Auckland, and is the second son of the late Inspector J. B. Thomson. After being at the Wellesley Street School in Auckland, he attended Wellington College, and studied law at the office of Messrs Brown, Skerrett and Dean, Wellington. Mr. Thomson was for three years and a-half in the office of the Supreme Court, Christchurch, and subsequently for nearly four years in the Magistrate's Court. Auckland. He was admitted to the bar on the 26th of January, 1901, by Judge Conolly, and was the first solicitor in New Zealand to take the oath after the proclamation of King Edward the Seventh, on the previous day. Mr. Thomson was the first resident solicitor to commence practice in Inglewood. He was a member of Christ's College Rifles, Christchurch, is first lieutenant of the Inglewood Rifles, and is secretary of the Inglewood Tennis Club. Mr. Thomson married a daughter of the late Mr. J. Dargaville, of Auckland.
Bank Of New South Wales, Inglewood; Mr. J. H. Rowe, branch manager.
Mr. John Henry Rowe, Manager of the Bank of New South Wales, Inglewood, was born in Gloucestershire, England, and educated at a private school. He came to New Zealand in the year 1883. and joined the Bank of New South Wales at Christchurch. Shortly afterwards he was removed to the Timaru branch, where he remained two and a-half years as teller and accountant. From Timaru he was transferred to Wellington, thence to Masterton, and in 1890 to the Blenheim branch. Four years later, Mr. Rowe was at various branches in the position of relieving officer, and about the end of 1894 was appointed to take charge of the Inglewood agency, which was raised to a branch in 1898. Mr. Rowe has been an enthusiastic athlete, and a member of various football, cricket, boating, and lawn tennis clubs in different parts of the colony. He is also musical, and has been a member of several operatic societies.
The Bank Of New Zealand in Inglewood is situated on the Mountain road, and was erected in 1899. The building is of wood and iron, one storey in height, and contains a banking chamber, the manager's room, and a private residence. Prior to 1895, Inglewood was periodically visited from New Plymouth, but in that year the branch was opened in temporary premises.
Mr. Adam Francis Thomson has been Manager of the Inglewood branch of the Bank of New Zealand since the year 1905. He is a son of the late Inspector J. B. Thomson, and was born in Invercargill. Mr. Thomson joined the Bank in Auckland, and had been stationed in various parts of the colony before being appointed to Inglewood.
Percival and Messenger (William Edward Percival, and Walter Bazire Messenger), Accountants and Land and Commission Agents, Moa Street, Inglewood. This firm conducts a general agency business, and Mr. Percival acts as secretary to the Moa Farmers', Tarata, Lepperton, and Waitui Co-operative Diary Factory Companies, Limited, and to the Maketawa Dairy Factory Company, Limited. He also prepares plans and specifications for the building and equipment of dairy factories. Mr. Percival has prepared many such, and has also supervised the erection of several factories in various parts of the colony.
Mr. William Edward Percival, Senior Partner of the firm of Percival and Messenger, is further referred to as Mayor of Inglewood.
Mr. Walter Bazire Messenger is a son of Colonel Messenger, formerly of Wellington, but now a resident of New Plymouth. A portrait and biography of Colonel Messenger, as Captain Messenger, appear in Gudgeon's Defenders of New Zealand; pages 86–92.
Mr. Edwin Townshend, formerly Manager of the Maketawa Dairy Factory, was born in Invercargill in 1868, and after completing his education was for seven years on his father's farm. He gained his experience in butter and cheese making at the Matanra Dairy Factory, and was for some time with the Edendale Butter and Cheese Factory. Mr. Townshend then went to Australia, and was for two years engaged in the dairy industry in Victoria, Gippsland, and in the Kerang district. He returned to New Zealand in 1893, and was first assistant in one of Messrs Reynolds and Co.'s factories in Taranaki until 1895, when he was appointed manager of the Maketawa dairy factory.
Chinn, William Ervine, Painter and Decorator, Rata Street, Inglewood. This business was established by Mr. Chinn in the year 1893. Contracts are undertaken throughout the district. Mr. Chinn is further referred to as Honorary Librarian of the New Plymouth Hospital.
Robinson, Robert Henry, Draper, Clothier, Mercer, Millinery and Boot Importer, Manchester House, Moa Street, Inglewood. Headquarters, Stratford. This business was established in the year 1902 by Mr. Curtis. It was afterwards conducted by Mr. Smith, and in 1904, was acquired by the present proprietor. The building is of wood and iron, with brick walls, and stands on a freehold section of a quarter of an acre. There are two large double-fronted shops, which contain clothing and general drapery departments and a millinery department.
Mr. Edward Hercules Robinson was appointed Manager of Mr. R. H. Robinson's Inglewood business in the year 1904. He is the second son of Mr. R. H. Robinson, and was born in the year 1880 in Napier, where he was educated and brought up to the drapery business by his father. Mr. Robinson is vice-president of the Inglewood Tradesmen's Association, and of the Hockey Club. In the year 1901 he joined the Stratford Rifles, but retired in 1904, after having attained the rank of sergeant. He is the possessor of a long service medal in connection with fire brigades. In 1905 he married the daughter of Mr. E. C. Shepherd, of Hamilton, Waikato.
Drake, G. W. and H. (George Waddington Drake and Henry Skelton Drake), Cabinetmakers, Upholsterers, and Undertakers, Rata Street, Inglewood. This business was established in 1904 by Mr. G. W. Drake, who was joined in partnership by his brother six months later. The premises include a shop, a workshop, and storeroom. The manufacture of all kinds of household furniture is undertaken.
Mr. George Waddington Drake of the firm of G. W. and H. Drake, was born in the year 1878, in Taranaki. He was educated at Inglewood and New Plymouth, and learned his trade under Mr. Thomas Drake. He subsequently gained further experience in Wellington. Mr. Drake was a member of the Inglewood Rifles for about three years, and rose to the rank of colour-sergeant.
Mr. G. W. Drake and Mr. H. S. Drake.
Mr. Henry Skelton Drake, of the firm of G. W. and H. Drake, was born in Taranaki in December, 1883. He was educated in Hawera, and learned his trade at Mr. A. H. Arthur's furniture factory in Hawera. Subsequently he gained further experience as a journeyman before becoming a member of the present firm. Mr. Drake was for three years a member of the Hawera Infantry Volunteers.
The Inglewood Coffee Palace (F. C. Bennett, proprietor), corner of Rata and Moa Streets, Inglewood. This is a two-storey wood and iron building. Shops on the ground floor are leased to tenants, and the rest of the building is well equipped as an up-to-date hostelry. The building is lighted throughout by electricity, and is well conducted by its proprietor.
Mr. Frederick Charles Bennett, Proprietor of the Inglewood Coffee Palace, was born in London, in 1869. He came with his parents to New Plymouth in 1875, and learned the trade of a coachbuilder, under Mr. G. Kennedy, in Inglewood. After gaining further experience at Wanganui, he bought an old established business in Inglewood, in the year 1891. This he conducted for a number of years before taking over the Coffee Palace. Mr. Bennett is associated with such local institutions as the Inglewood racing and athletic clubs, and the Hawera Mounted Rifles.page 152
Frewin, Richard James, Boot and Shoe Importer and Manufacturer, Mountain road, Inglewood. Established in 1895. Private residence, Inglewood. This business is conducted in a wood and iron building, which contains a shop with a verandah, a fitting room, and a workshop. Mr. Frewin was born in the year 1870, in Nelson, and was educated in New Plymouth, where he learned his trade, and found employment until settling and establishing his business in Inglewood. Mr. Frewin was for five years a member of the Inglewood Volunteer Corps, and rose to the rank of colour-sergeant. He is also a member of the Inglewood Lodge of Druids. In the year 1902 he married a daughter of Mr. Christopher Bond, of Inglewood, and has one son and one daughter.
Gamlin, Abel Blake, Butcher, and Grain and Produce Merchant, corner of Rata Street and Richmond. Street, Inglewood. This business was established in the year 1891 by Mr. Gamlin. It is conducted in a two-storied wood and iron building, which is erected on leasehold land, and contains a large shop, an office, and a small goods room. The produce department is situated in a separate building, and contains an oil engine, and up-to-date machinery. At the back there is a stable with four stalls, a shed, and a store room. Three carts are employed in connection with the business, and delivery is made throughout the district. The slaughter house is erected on part of seventy-seven acres on the Mountain road, and the land is used for grazing and cropping. Mr. Gamlin has also a freehold farm of 100 acres at Urenui, and 100 acres of leasehold land, and also leases fifty acres of land on the Junction road, Inglewood. Eight persons are employed in connection with the business.
Gernhoeffer, Emil, Butcher, corner of Mountain road and Kelly Street, Inglewood. This business was one of the first to be established in Inglewood, and was acquired by Mr. Gernhoeffer in the year 1900. The premises include a shop, an office, and a small goods room, and the house and stables are erected on a freehold section of a quarter of an acre. The slaughter house is situated on part of a block of seventy-one acres, and is one of the best equipped in the colony. Mr. Gernhoeffer was born in the year 1864, in Germany, where he was educated, and came to New Zealand in 1876. He learned his trade at Inglewood, Wanganui, New Plymouth, and Auckland, and at seventeen years of age was employed in the establishment of which he subsequently became proprietor. Mr. Gernhoeffer first started business on his own account in 1892, in Inglewood. Two years later he removed to New Plymouth, and was employed by Mr. W. Bayly. He subsequently managed a store for Mr. Frankley at Tarata, and then took up farming. Six years afterwards he sold out, settled in Inglewood, and acquired the business in which he had worked as a lad. In 1888 Mr. Gernhoeffer married a daughter of Mr. George Burroughs, of Dudley road, and had, surviving, one son and three daughters at the time of his death, which occurred, suddenly, on the 21st of May, 1906, after this article had been prepared for the press.
The Inglewood Co-Operative Bacon-Curing Company, Limited, was established in the year 1900. Directors for the year 1906: Messrs A. Morton (chairman), J. Hall, W. Harkness, J. Horne, A. Chard, W. Houston, D. Todd, J. Davidson, and R. Kenny. Mr. J. Allan is manager, and Mr. G. F. Dewhirst, secretary. The Inglewood Bacon Curing Factory is situated on the Junction road, about one mile distant from Inglewood, on a site containing five acres of land, on the bank of the Waiongona stream. Water is brought in by a race, and about twenty horse-power is developed. The buildings are of wood, iron, and brick, and contain a slaughter house, a hanging shed, a cutting-up room, lard, salt, curing, chilling, small goods and grain rooms, and three store rooms, a packing room and an office. There is a smoking house, and a refrigerating chamber, which is worked by one of Humble and Son's D Ammonia machines. The receiving shed, to which styes are attached, is separate from the main factory. There are receiving stations for pigs at Smart road, Midhurst, and at Waitara. The company has about 300 shareholders, the majority of whom supply pigs. The company also purchases in the open market. In the year 1905 over 3500 pigs were killed, and the brand for hams and bacon is “Star.”
Mr. John Allan was appointed Manager of the Inglewood Bacon Factory in March, 1900. He was born in page 153 the year 1864, in Taranaki, where he was educated, and was brought up as a bacon-curer in the district; he was connected with the Taranaki Bacon Factory at Fitzroy for eight years before his appointment to Inglewood. In 1901 Mr. Allan married a daughter of the late Mr. Thomason, of New Plymouth.
Mr. J. Allan and Mr. G. F. Dewhirst.
Mr. George Francis Dewhirst was appointed Secretary of the Inglewood Co-operative Bacon Factory Company in the year 1903. He was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1858, was educated in the county of Durham, and brought up to the grocery trade. Mr. Dewhirst afterwards came to New Zealand, landed at New Plymouth in 1894, and was farming at Egmont Village before receiving his present appointment. In 1890 he married a daughter of the late Mr. T. Cromhic, of Fifeshire, Scotland, and has two sons and one daughter.
Lile, William John, Butcher, Rata Street, Inglewood. This business was established in the year 1896. It is conducted in a commodious shop, with double windows, and a small goods room behind. There are also stables in connection with the establishment.
Drake, T. and Co. (Thomas Drake), General Importers, Inglewood. Agents for the South British Insurance Company, Wiesner's Pianos, and Rudge-Whitworth, Royal Enfield, and other makes of bicycles. This flourishing business was established by Mr. Thomas Drake, senior, more than twenty-five years ago, in New Plymouth, when it was started and known as the Old Curiosity Shop. Twelve months later, it was transferred to Inglewood. The premises consist of a handsome building, which has a frontage of sixty-two feet facing the railway station. There are ironmongery, crockery, cabinetmaking, stationery, upholstering, fancy goods, and other departments. Furniture is manufactured on the premises. Mr. Drake was born in Kent, England, in the year 1861, and came to New Zealand at fourteen years of age with his parents, who settled in Nelson for some time before removing to Taranaki. Mr. Drake was a member of the Inglewood Town Board, and has been the energetic treasurer of the local Court of Foresters for many years. He takes considerable interest in cycling, and acts as consul for the Cycling Tourist Club. He married Miss Nixon, of Hexham, Northumberland, England, and has two sons and two daughters.
The Moa Farmers' Union, Limited, was established in the year 1891. Directors for the year 1906: Messrs A. Morton (chairman), D. H. McDonald, D. Todd, J. Davidson, and W. Houston; Mr. B. H. Nicholls, secretary and manager. The premises are centrally situated, and include drapery, millinery, grocery, ironmongery, saddlery, earthenware, and baking departments, with competent men in charge. Two large ovens are kept fully employed. The turnover is steadily increasing, and in 1905 amounted to £35,000. About forty persons are employed.
Mr. Benjamin Howard Nicholls, J.P., was appointed Secretary and Manager of the Moa Farmers' Union, Limited, in the year 1893. He is further referred to as the first Mayor of the borough of Inglewood.
Mr. Henry William Cottier was appointed Manager of the Drapery and Clothing Departments of the Moa Farmers' Union, Limited, in the year 1902. He is further referred to as bandmaster of the Inglewood Brass Band.
Mr. Arthur James Hopson was appointed Manager of the Grocery Department of the Moa Farmers' Union in the year 1896, and has been employed by the Union since its inception. He is a son of Mr. Mark Hopson, a former manager, was born in the year 1875, in Dorset, England, where he was educated; and he came to New Zealand in 1888. Mr. Hopson has been a member of the Inglewood football, cricket, and athletic clubs, has taken part in competitions and been successful as a prize winner. He is a member of the Inglewood Rifles, and of the local Rifle Club. Mr. Hopson is also a fancier and exhibitor of pure bred poultry, and secured thirty-six prizes in the year 1905.
Mr. A. J. Hopson.
The Inglewood Fruit Company (William Ogier, proprietor), Rata Street, Inglewood. This company imports fruit from various parts of the colony, Australia, and the Islands, and maintains a varied supply, which is disposed of wholesale and retail. Mr. Ogier is further referred to as Town Clerk of the borough of Inglewood.
Drake, Francis, Bookseller and Fancy Goods Dealer, Rata Street, opposite the Post Office, Inglewood. This business was established in the year 1899, by Mr. Robert Ellis, and page 154 acquired by Mr. F. Drake in 1905. It is conducted in a wood and iron building, which contains a double-fronted shop, with a large show room for fancy goods at the back. There is a large news agency in connection with the business, and a considerable stock is maintained. Mr. Drake was born in the year 1868, in Sussex, England, where he was educated. He came to New Zealand with his father, Mr. Thomas Drake, in 1880, was brought up to country life, and for about nine years was farming on his own account at Durham road, before acquiring his present business. In August, 1895. Mr. Drake married a daughter of Mr. George Douch, of Inglewood, and has one son and one daughter.
Collis, photoMr. F. Drake.
Leech, Charles, General Storekeeper, Rata Street, Inglewood. Agent for the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, North Queensland Fire, and Equitable Life Assurance Society of the United States of America. This business was established in the year 1892, and was acquired by Mr. Leech in 1903. It is conducted in a two-storied building of wood and iron, which stands on a freehold section of half an acre. Full stocks of millinery, grocery, hardware and crockery are carried, and there is also a dressmaking department. There is considerable storage room at the back of the building. Two delivery carts are constantly in use, five horses being employed. Mr. Leech was born in the year 1866, in New Plymouth, where he was educated, and brought up to country life. He afterwards went to Nelson, and was for about two years in the Wakefield district. He then returned to Taranaki, and acquired a farm on Bristol road, which he worked for ten years. Later on, he sold out, and bought his present business. Mr. Leech, in conjunction with two brothers, has 3000 acres of land at Awakino, about seventy miles from Inglewood, and they use it for cattle raising. He has been a member of the Moa Road Board, and was president of the Taranaki Farmers' Union. During his period of office he organised about twenty branches of the Union, and represented Taranaki at the first North Island conference held at Palmerston North in 1901, and the following year represented his district at the colonial conference in Welllington. At the general election of 1902, Mr. Leech stood for the Egmont seat in the House of Representatives, and was defeated by only fifteen votes; and he was again unsuccessful at the election of 1905. In 1891 he married a daughter of the late Mr. W. H. Wood, of New Plymouth, but she died in 1895, leaving one daughter. Mr. Leech married a daughter of Mr. J. Tuck, of Inglewood, in the year 1902.
Mr. C. Leech.
Nicholls, Austin Clements, General Storekeeper, corner of Rata Street and Brown Street, Inglewood. This business was established in the year 1904. The premises consist of a corner shop, with a store room and office, and stabling behind. There is also a handsome ten-roomed residence. Mr. Nicholls was born in 1860, in Auckland, where he was educated, and brought up to farming by his father. During the Maori war, in the Auckland district, the family had to take refuge in a stone church at Tamaki. Mr. Nicholls then worked at sawmilling for ten years, and was employed successively by Dr. Logan Campbell, and the Kauri Timber Company, at Te Kopuru. He removed to Inglewood in 1892, and was employed by Mr. H. Brown for ten years. During his spare time Mr. Nicholls learned bookbinding. He afterwards started business on his own account as a printer and bookbinder, and acquired a complete plant, which he sold in January, 1906. Mr. Nicholls was for seven years a member of the Inglewood Town Board, was for two years a member of the Inglewood Borough Council, and has been a member of the Inglewood school committee. In 1888 he married a daughter of the late Mr. William Potter, of Epsom, Auckland, and has three sons.
Mr. William Ernest Richardson, Managing Director and Electrical Engineer of the Inglewood Electric Light and Power Company, Limited, has been associated with the company since its inception. He was born in Port Chalmers and educated in the Taieri district. Mr. Richardson was brought up as a flour miller, and afterwards took up electrical work, first as an amateur, and subsequently as a professional. The first public electric lighting work that Mr. Richardson undertook, was the installation of electric light at Outram. Later, he was connected with the promotion of the Waipori power supply for Dunedin. In 1898 Mr. Richardson married a daughter of Mr. James Meston, of Dunedin, and has one son.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. and Mrs W. E. Richardson.
Giles, Thomas, Carrier and Forwarding Agent. Standish Street, Inglewood. This business was established in the year 1884. The premises occupied stand on part of an acre of land, and include a private residence and stables. Two drays are employed in connection with the business. Mr. Giles is agent for the New Zealand Express Company. He was born in 1857, in Kent, England, where he was educated, and gained his early experience in the management of horses. In the year 1875 he came to New Zealand, by the ship “Avatanche,” and settled at Omata, where he was employed at farm work by Mr. Curtis for two years. He subsequently worked in a blacksmith's shop and, later on, became a barman at the Red House Hotel, New Plymouth, and afterwards at other hotels in Taranaki. Mr. Giles was then proprietor of the Railway Hotel, Inglewood, for about five years before establishing his present business. In the year 1879 he married a daughter of the late Mr. William Hopkinson, of Inglewood, and has two sons and two daughters.
The Inglewood Livery Stables (E. L. Julian, proprietor), Mountain road, Inglewood. These stables were established in the year 1902 by Mr. E. L. Julian. They are built of wood and iron, and are situated at the back of the Inglewood Hotel. They contain eighteen stalls, nine loose boxes, and there is standing room for vehicles. Five gigs, two double buggies, and about nine horses are employed in connection with the business.
Mr. Ernest L. Julian, Proprietor of the Inglewood Stables, was born in the year 1876, in New Plymouth, where he was educated, and brought up to hotel life. He was for three years a member of the Hawera Mounted Rifles. In 1890 Mr. Julian married a daughter of the late Mr. Wellington Carrington, of New Plymouth, and has three daughters and one son.
The Railway Hotel Livery Stables (Richmond Johnson, proprietor), Rata Street, Inglewood. These stables, which are carried on in connection with the Railway Hotel, consist of wood and iron buildings, and contain fifty-two stalls and three loose boxes. There is also standing room for a large number of vehicles. About ten conveyances and ten horses are employed in the business.
Mr. Richmond Johnson, Proprietor of the Railway Hotel Livery Stables, was born in the year 1875, and was educated at Waitara. He had thirteen years' experience in training horses, and was for some time driving his own coaches, before he acquired his present business in the year 1901. In 1897 Mr. Johnson married a daughter of Mr. E. J. Julian, proprietor of the Taranaki Hotel, New Plymouth, and has two daughters and one son.
Curtis, Herbert Bloomar, J.P., Farmer, “Bushlea,” Inglewood. Mr. Curtis' property consists of 550 acres of freehold land near Inglewood. The homestead is sheltered on all sides from prevailing winds by some fine bush. Mr. Curtis also owns another farm of 450 acres. He was born in the year 1852, at Omata, and was educated in New Plymouth. At the time of the native disturbances he went with his father's family to Nelson, with the Taranaki refugees; but returned eighteen months later, and worked with his father at Omata. On page 156 the second outbreak of hostilities, he was drilled with the military, took his share in defence duties, and became a lieutenant of volunteers. Subsequently, Mr. Curtis commenced farming on his own account at Okato; later on, he became one of the pioneer settlers of Inglewood, and is now (1906) the oldest resident in the district. In the early days Mr. Curtis took a contract to convey settlers to their land in the back blocks, before the country was opened up by roads. He afterwards carried on business as a butcher and general storekeeper, and for about twenty years he was a member of the firm of Curtis Brothers. Since retiring from business, Mr. Curtis has engaged in farming and cattle dealing. He was a member of the last Town Board of Inglewood, and was one of the first members of the Inglewood Borough Council. In the year 1878 Mr. Curtis married a daughter of the late Mr. T. Larsen, of Inglewood, and has eight daughters and two sons.
Lile, Adam, Settler, Junction road, Inglewood. Mr. Lile was born in Scotland in the year 1818, and came to New Plymouth with his father in 1862. At the time of the native troubles in 1863, he was ememployed by the contractors for supplying meat to the troops. He also joined the Taranaki Militia in 1869, and saw much active service. In 1872, he entered the Armed Constabulary, and remained in the force until 1877, when he started business in Waitara as a baker and confectioner, and remained there for over ten years. He then removed to Kaikoura until 1889, when he settled in Inglewood, and established a prosperous business. Mr. Lile now lives on a farm at Junction road, near Inglewood. He has been a member of the Order of Foresters for over thirty years. He is married, and has five daughters and two sons.
Mr. A. Lile.
Mr. John William Cowley was born in the year 1846, in Lincolnshire, England, where he was educated, and brought up to farming. He came to New Zealand in 1875, by the ship “Halcione,” which landed at Taranaki; and for three years he worked hard at bush contracts. When the Tariki settlement was formed, he was one of the earliest to take up land, and selected a holding of 119 acres, which he named “Woodthorpe Grange.” This property he brought to an excellent state of cultivation, and carried on dairying and general farming. Mr. Cowley has always taken considerable interest in local affairs, and has been a member of the Tariki school committee. He is married, and has two sons and one daughter. Mr. Cowley now (1906) resides in Inglewood.
Mr. Henry John Julian took part in the local government of Inglewood, as a member of the Town Board, to which he was elected in 1897. He is a son of Mr. Richard Julian, who came to Taranaki as one of the pioneers, in the year 1840, and was born in New Plymouth in 1846. When twenty years of age he went to Nelson and the West Coast, where he was for some time engaged in mining. On returning to Taranaki he joined the transport corps, served through the war, and received the New Zealand medal for his services. In the year 1868 he was at Patea as a member of the Nelson volunteers, who were in service in connection with the Maori troubles. Afterwards Mr. Julian was for over twenty years engaged in the business of a livery-stable-keeper in New Plymouth. Later on, he took over the Taranaki Hotel, which he kept until the year 1890, when he entered into possession of the Railway Hotel, at Inglewood, and carried it on successfully for a number of years. Mr. Julian has been an Oddfellow for over thirty years, and has passed through all the chairs. He is married, and has eight sons and four daughters. In the year 1906 Mr. Julian became proprietor of the Taranaki Hotel in New Plymouth.
Mr. Edmund James Morgan, of “Oakleigh,” Kaimata road, Inglewood, a well known colonist, is a native of Gillingham, Dorsetshire, England, where he was born in the year 1841, and brought up to farm life. He came to New Zealand in the barque “Ashmore,” 512 tons, in 1856, and landed at Auckland. Thence Mr. Morgan proceeded to New Plymouth, and thence again to Wanganui, where he remained till 1860. In company with his brother, John, he visited the Otago diggings, but was not very successful. After a year's experience on the fields he returned to Wanganui, and was engaged at various occupations till the war broke out, when he joined the Wanganui Cavalry, and was present at the engagement at Wereroa pa and many other skirmishes. He received the New Zealand war medal and a grant of land for his services as volunteer. His farm in Patea, which he bought from military settlers, was a good one, and he lived on it till 1866, when he removed to Rahotu, and farmed land in that district for the next seven years. He then acquired his present property, which contains 350 acres of good pasture land, on which he conducts dairying operations. The homestead is surrounded by a beautifully laid out garden and orchard. Mr. Morgan was for several years on the Patea County Council, was chairman of the Patea West Road Beard for a number of years, and has been a member of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. He married Miss Wright, of Brunswick, Wanganui, and has three sons and four daughters. His second son, William, was one of the contingent sent to represent the colony at Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in London, on the 22nd of June, 1897.