Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



Urenui is twenty miles to the north-east of New Plymouth, and ten miles to the east of Waitara, The surrounding district is devoted to dairying and grazing, and there is a dairy factory at Onaero, about a mile and a-half nearer Waitara. Urenui has a post and telegraph office, a large town hall, two stores, a butcher's shop, two blacksmiths' shops, a hotel, public school, public library, and cattle saleyards. It has also a domain, which is administered by a board, and there is a Rifle Club. Urenui was originally a very important Maori settlement, and there are several native pas in the district. During the war a large number of troops were stationed in the place, and a redoubt was erected by Captain Good. Urenui is also the name of a riding in the county of Clifton. The Urenui river empties itself into the sea near the settlement.

A Government Post Office has been erected at Urenui, There is a bi-weekly mail service, and there is communication by telephone with New Plymouth.

Urenui Hotel (Stuart McGuinness, proprietor), Urenui. The Urenui Hotel was established in the early seventies. The present building is a fine two-storied one, and contains twenty-five rooms. The accommodation is good, the tariff is moderate, and the best brands of liquors are kept. There are large livery and bait stables in connection with the establishment, and horses and vehicles can be hired.

Mr. Stuart McGuinness, Proprietor of the Urenui Hotel, was born in New Plymouth, in the year 1865, and is a son of an early Taranaki settler, who was one of the few saved from a vessel which was destroyed by fire on a voyage to New Zealand, and who afterwards became a lieutenant in the Bush Rangers during the Maori war. Mr. McGuinness was brought up on a farm in the Oakura district, resided in New Plymouth for many years, and was connected with racing, owning, amongst other horses, the well known “Waiuku.” He subsequently bought the Breakwater Hotel, and conducted it for nine months, and in 1903 took over the Urenui Hotel. Mr. McGuinness is a member of all the sporting and athletic bodies of the district, and a member of Lodge Egmont, Manchester Unity, Independent Order of Oddfellows, New Plymouth. He is married, and has one son.

Amoore, Edward Fermor, General Blacksmith, Horseshoer and Wheelwright, Main North Road, Urenui. This business was established in page 145 the year 1898, by Mr. Amoore, who has made great progress, and has added various branches from time to time. A specialty is made of building and repairing vehicles. Two men are emploved. Mr. Amoore was born in Cromwell, Otago, in the year 1875, and was educated in the Taranaki district, where he was brought up on his father's farm at Ngaire. He learned his trade at Ngaire, Stratford, and Kaponga, and, later on, gained experience in Auckland. In 1898 he removed to Urenui, where he was employed as a journeyman for six months. He then started in business on his own account. Mr. Amoore takes a general interest in the progress of the district. He is a member of the Urenui school committee, a trustee of the Public Hall, a member of the Rifle Club Committee, and secretary of the Sports Club and of the Public Library. He is married, and has two sons and one daughter.

Rowe Charles Nicholas, Storekeeper, Urenui. Mr. Rowe's business was established in the year 1877, and a considerable trade is done with the settlers in the district. A branch of the store has been established at Ureti (twelve miles up the Mimi Valley) and is managed by Mr. Frank Aroa, who is also postmaster. Mr. Rowe is a son of the late Mr. Henry Nathaniel Rowe, one of Taranaki's early colonists, and was born in Surrey, England, of an old and well connected family. He came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship “Joseph Fletcher,” in the forties, and landed in Auckland, but removed to Taranaki shortly afterwards, and assisted his father on his farm at Bell Block. On the breaking out of the native disturbances, Mr. Rowe saw service with the Taranaki militia and cavalry volunteers, and was some time attached to the transport corps. At the conclusion of the war, he settled at Urenui. He is assisted in his business by Mr. George Bertrand, an old comrade who served through the war with him. Mr. Rowe takes an interest in local affairs, and is much respected. He is married, and has four sons and one daughter.

Mr. C. N. Rowe.

Mr. C. N. Rowe.

Black, Peter Lawrie, Settler, “Onaero Farm,” Urenui. Mr. Black's property consists of 425 acres, on which he depastures 120 head of cattle and about 400 crossbred sheep, while about fifty acres are in crop. Mr. Black was born in the western district of Victoria, Australia, in the year 1867. He was educated at the Collegiate School, in Edinburgh, Scotland, and completed his course at the University, where he paid special attention to the study of agriculture in its various branches, including veterinary surgery at New College. After some time spent in travel, Mr. Black decided to make his home in New Zealand, and in 1896 acquired his present property.

Halcombe, Arthur Herbert, Farmer, “Fern Grove,” Urenui. Mr. Halcombe's farm of 720 acres is situated within a short distance of Urenui, and is devoted chiefly to the grazing of sheep and cattle. Mr. Halcombe also owns a grazing run of 1100 acres, which carries both cattle and sheep. Mr. Halcombe was born near Marton in the year 1869, and is a son of the late Mr. Arthur William Follett Halcombe, a well known Wellington colonist, who was for a time manager of the Feilding Settlement and Provincial Secretary of the Wellington province. He was educated at Wanganui College, subsequently managed “Fern Grove” for his father for many years, and succeeded him in 1890. Mr. Halcombe takes a keen interest in local matters, is a member of the Domain Board, chairman of the Urenui school committee, and of the Cemetery Trust, and is vice-president of the sports club at Urenui and Uruti. He is also a steward of the New Plymouth Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and has successfully exhibited cattle and horses at various shows. He married a daughter of Mr. McCosh Clark, and has one child.

Jenkins, Walter Frederick, Farmer, Urenui. Mr. Jenkins was born at Conroy, County Donegal, Ireland in the year 1857, was educated at the Royal School, Raphoe, and was brought up to mercantile life with his father, the late Mr. Andrew Jenkins. In 1875 he came to New Zealand by the ship “Hourah,” and landed in Wellington he went overland from Wellington to Napier, where he gained considerable experience on the late Mr. Henry Russell's station at Waipukurau. page 146 He then returned to Wellington, and was employed by the late Mr. George Dixon for three years. In 1880 he went to the Lake Mapourika rush on the West Coast, where he spent two years, and was fairly successful. After a tour round the colony he again returned to Wellington, where he entered into partnership with Captain B. E. Oxner, in the Princess Theatre Hotel. Tory Street, and afterwards kept the Rainbow Hotel, Kaiwarra, and Barrett's Hotel, Wellington, for some years. Mr. Jenkins then removed to Taranaki where he bought the Urenui Hotel, which he conducted for over seven years. He subsequently took up farming, and owns some splendid land at Kaipikari and Urenui.