The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. F. L. Webster
Mr. F. L. Webster was born in London, England, and arrived in New Zealand with his parents by the ship “Amelia Thompson,” in 1841. His father, the late Mr. James Webster, was appointed Collector of Customs at New Plymouth. After receiving his education, Mr. Webster joined a mercantile firm as clerk in 1856, and some time afterwards commenced business with his brother as commission and shipping agents. On the breaking out of the Taranaki war in 1860, Mr. Webster joined the volunteers, and served through the campaign, gaining the rank of captain in 1861, and the New Zealand medal. He established the Egmont Flour Mill about forty years ago, and on dissolving partnership with his brother, became associated with his brother-in-law, Mr. J. S. McKellar, in the business still carried on by Mr. McKellar and Mr. H. Stocker. Mr. Webster was a member of the Egmont Reserve Board, and a Past Master in the Masonic Order; he also took a great interest in church work, and was a churchwarden of St. Mary's. He was married, and had eight children. Mr. Webster died on the 15th of April, 1904.