Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]

Patrick Joseph Felix Valentine O'Neill O'Carroll

Patrick Joseph Felix Valentine O'Neill O'Carroll, M.D. (Edin.), L.R.C.S.I., L.M.C.S.I., and sometime physician and surgeon at New Plymouth, was also senior Brigade Surgeon in the New Plymouth Militia,
The Late Dr. O'Carroll.

The Late Dr. O'Carroll.

Medical Superintendent of the New Plymouth Hospital, Surgeon to the Gaol and Native Department, and Immigration Commissioner and Health page 122 Officer. He was born at Castlepollan, Westmeath, and received his early education at St. Vincent's College, Castleknock, and St. Stanlislaus College, Tullamore, and at the Catholic University, Dublin. He began his medical studies at the Cecilia Street School of Medicine, and was at the Royal College of Surgeons and Royal College of Physicians, Dublin, where he took his diplomas. Dr. O'Carroll came to Melbourne by the ship “Queen of the South,” in charge of the Lancashire Distress Fund people, numbering about 440, and passed the requisite examination to enable him to practise his profession in Victoria. In 1863 Dr. O'Carroll took charge of the “Star of India,” which was then bringing Pitt's militia recruits to Auckland. On his arrival in Auckland he received his first commission as assistant surgeon to the Auckland Militia, but shortly afterwards transferred to the Waikato Militia under Colonel Haultain; but at his own request he was transferred to the force of Colonel Lyon, and was attached to many of the expeditions sent against the Maoris. In the year 1863 he was present at the taking of Jonathan's Pa, and in November of that year was sent to Rangiriri to bring the wounded into Auckland and take charge of native prisoners. He was with the forces during some of the most exciting engagements, was recommended by Colonel Colville for gallantry during a seven days' siege, and promoted to the rank of captain. Dr. O'Carroll was present at the attack on the Gate Pa, where he had charge of the Ambulance Corps, and afterwards went in medical charge of the Arawas, who proceeded down the coast to punish the Hauhaus. About 1865 he was ordered to New Plymouth, placed in medical charge of the mounted troopers, and was one of the party who made the famous march through the bush on the east side of Mount Egmont to meet General Chute. When the White Cliffs massacre took place Dr. O'Carroll, accompanied by the local forces, went out and recovered the bodies of the Rev. Mr. Whiteley, Lieut. Gascoigne, his wife and three children, and Privates Milne and Richards. In 1864 he was transferred to the Armed Constabulary, and made full surgeon of that corps, and of the militia; and in 1881 he was at the arrest of Te Whiti and Tohu at Parihaka. Dr. O'Carroll was frequently mentioned in despatches, and personally thanked by General Chute and other Imperial officers for his services. In 1891 he was promoted to brigade-surgeon, which carries with it the rank of lieuteant-colonel. He received the New Zealand medal, and Imperial long service decoration, and in 1895 the Victoria decoration. In later times Dr. O'Carroll conducted a large and lucrative practice in New Plymouth, where he was held in the highest esteem. He died some years ago.