The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Glegg, Robert, Farmer, Eliot ROAD, Westown, New Plymouth. Mr. Glegg was born in Stonehaven, about twenty miles from Aberdeen, Scotland, in the year 1840. He was educated partly at Stonehaven, and partly in Aberdeen, where he also learned the business of an ironmonger. Mr. Glegg came to New Zealand in 1869, and landed at Port Chalmers by the ship “Christian McCausland.” He found employment for two years in Dunedin, and then removed to Wanganui, where he was employed by Mr. John Duthie for some years. In 1877 he settled at Midhurst, and opened up business as a storekeeper. At that time there were no roads, and his store was the first building in the settlement. Mr. Glegg continued at Midhurst until 1885, when he took up farming at Westown. He has been chairman of the Manganui Road Board, and of the Committee of the Midhurst Public Hall and Cemetery Trust, a member of the Westown school committee, and the Frankley school committee; and has also been chairman of the Eliot Road Board for many years.
Honeyfield, W. J., Farmer, Moturoa Farm, New Plymouth. Mr. Honeyfield's pleasant property contains 100 acres, and the homestead commands a splendid view of the surrounding country. The farm produce is principally supplied to shipping, Mr. Honeyfield having held contracts for this for the past twenty years. He was born in New Plymouth in 1856, and educated privately, was thirteen years with his uncle, a well known settler, and finally started on his own account. Mr. Honeyfield has shown what perseverance and energy properly directed can do, and may be justly regarded as a type of the successful colonist. He has taken considerable interest in public matters, and is a member of most of the local societies.
Okey, Henry James Hobbs, Farmer and Stock Dealer, New Plymouth. Mr. Okey is the second son of Mr. Edward Okey, of the firm of Okey, Son and Arnold, Limited, and was born at Frankley Road, in the year 1857. He was educated in New Plymouth, and brought up to farming, and worked under his father until 1878, when he struck out on his own account. Mr. Okey's farm consists of about 2000 acres, situated on Frankley Road, and is devoted to sheep farming, dairy farming, and stock raising. Mr. Okey is also a large dealer in stock. He contested, unsuccessfully, the Taranaki seat in 1902 and 1905, in the interests of the Opposition, and was strongly supported by the farming community. During these campaigns he was an advocate for the opening up of back country roads, and supported the No License cause. Mr. Okey was chairman of the Taranaki County Council for nine years, and has acted as chairman of the Frankley Road Board since 1885. He was one of the originators of the Moturoa Freezing Works, and held office as a director of the first company. Mr. Okey married a daughter of the late Mr. Morey, of New Plymouth, in July, 1883, and has, surviving, five sons.
Tisch, Gustave, Settler “Heidelberg,” South Road, New Plymouth. Mr. Tisch, who was born in Christchurch in 1852, is a son of the late Mr. Philip Tisch, an old colonist, and for some years followed farming. In 1878 he removed to Taranaki, where, in conjunction with his brother, he obtained the first license, and opened the first hotel at Stratford. Three years later, he opened the first hotel at Eltham, named it the Sawmillers' Arms, and remained there about twelve months. In 1882 he took over Beach House, New Plymouth, now the Terminus Hotel, and carried it on successfully for fourteen years. Mr. Tisch page 117 now lives in retirement at “Heidelberg,” which is beautifully situated on the South Road, facing the sea. In 1893 he made a tour round the world, and published an interesting account of his travels for private circulation. Mr. Tisch is a Freemason, has been a member of all the leading athletic clubs in New Plymouth, and has always taken an active interest in the welfare of the district, in which he is distinguished for his hospitality. He stood for election to Parliament at the general election of December, 1905, when Mr. E. M. Smith was the successful candidate.
Mr. G. Tisch.