Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]

Leather Trade

Leather Trade.

The A.B.C. Boot Depot (W. G. Linthorn and H. C. Evans, proprietors), Boot and Shoemakers and Importers, Devon Street, New Plymouth. This business was established in the year 1902, and was taken over by the present proprietors in 1905. The premises consist of a wood and iron building, which contains a double-fronted shop, a fitting room and workshop, with a plant including a solesewer, rollers and general machinery.

Mr. William G. Linthorn, of the A.B.C. Boot Depot, was born in the year 1871, in Bristol, England, where he was educated, and learned his trade under his father, who was a boot manufacturer. He came to New Zealand in 1905.

Mr. Henry Cave Evans, of the A.B.C. Boot Depot, was born in the year 1870, in Christchurch, where he was educated, and learned his trade. He was employed by the late Mr. W. Harris, and afterwards by Mr. A. H. Pannell. After a good many years' experience, he went to Taranaki, and took up farming. Some years afterwards he sold out, and went into the boot trade in Inglewood, for three years. After spending a winter in Christchurch he returned to Taranaki, and commenced business in Devon Street in 1902. Two years and six months later he was joined by Mr. W. G. Linthorn, and bought the A.B.C. Boot Depot, which had previously been conducted by Mr J. R. Chatterton. Mr. Evans has been connected with the volunteer movement for some time, was a member of the Christchurch College Cadets, and is sergeant in the Taranaki Guards.

Egmont Boot and Shoe Company (Hal Goodacre, proprietor and manager), Courtenay Street, New Plymouth. Telephone, 113; P.O. Box 73. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Telegraphic Address, “Egmont Boot.” This business was established in the year 1887, and is carried on in Courtenay Street in a fine large two-storied building, which is a prominent landmark of the town The original firm consisted of Mr. Goodacre and Mr. Carthew, but Mr. Goodacre bought his partner's interest, and has now for many years been sole proprietor. At first only six persons were employed, but now more than fifty men and women are engaged in connection with the business. After the Taranaki Exhibition (of whose committee Mr. Goodacre was chairman), the manufactures of the firm gained great popularity, and the “Egmont Tignts”—a strong watertight boot—took a leading place in colonial trade. Besides the heavier class of goods, dancing pumps, and ladies' and gentlemen's boots and shoes of stylish patterns are made, and find an extensive sale. The latest machinery is used, and the large stocks include three special ladies' brands (“Heart,” “Queen,” and “Victoria”), besides cycling, canvas, and other shoes of every description. The warehouse is on the ground floor, where large assortments of the best manufactured goods from the English, German, and American markets are in stock; and the manager's room, accountant's office, and sample room are in touch with the warehouse. The clinking room is reached by a wide staircase, and is a fine large apartment under the control of Mr. Fred Goodacre, who has seven assistants. It is stored with about forty-five different kinds of black leather, in addition to tan and coloured leathers. Near the clinking room is the machine room, where a number of girls are employed at a double row of machines, fancy stitching and plain sewing. In the benching and making-up room about twenty operatives are engaged in hammering and pegging, and a fine Blake sewing machine is used to stitch the outer sole to the inside of the boot. The ceiling of the factory is lighted through the medium of what is called the “southern light,” which consists of large windows set at such an angle that the direct rays of the sun never enter the room, and thus a page 106
Egmont Boot and Shoe Company's Premises.

Egmont Boot and Shoe Company's Premises.

steady light is ensured without strong shadows.

Mr. Hal Goodacre, Sole Proprietor of the Egmont Boot and Shoe Company, was born in Derbyshire, England, educated at Leicester, where he thoroughly learned his trade, and was one of the six men chosen to proceed to Germany to start a factory on English principles. In 1874 he came to New Zealand by the ship “Assaye,” and landed in Auckland, where he remained two years, gaining colonial experience. He then established a business at Wanganui, where he remained some years, and was afterwards at Patea and Hawera for three years before he entered upon his present successful undertaking. Although a very busy man, Mr. Goodacre devotes a considerable share of his time to local matters, and has been for a long period a member of the New Plymouth school committee, president of the Horticultural Society; and he was first president of the Prohibition League, of which he is an active member. Mr. Goodacre is married, and has three sons and one daughter.

Jones, Frederick, Tanner, New Plymouth. Mr. Jones was born in Kidderminster, Worcestershire, England. His brother, Mr. Benjamin Jones, was head leather dresser for Messrs Hallister, in Staffordshire, for over forty years. Mr. Jones came to New Zealand in 1872 from America, where he had been in the service of Mr. F. D. D. Cossett, leather manufacturer, of Chicago. He landed at Auckland, and entered the employment of Messrs Geddes Brothers, where he remained for seven years, when he took over the Frankley Road Tannery in New Plymouth, in conjunction with Messrs Christmas and J. C. George. A year later the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Jones has since been in business on his own account. He is married, and has two sons and one daughter.

page 107
Ramson, Maynard, Saddler and Harness Maker, Devon Street, New Plymouth. Established in 1887. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Mr. Ramson's fine premises are situated in the centre of the town, and have a frontage of thirty feet by a depth of sixty-five feet. There is a large assortment of saddlery, harness and
Mr. M. Ramson's Premises.

Mr. M. Ramson's Premises.

other goods of English and colonial manufacture. The business is one of the largest in the district, and the owner and his assistants are often unable to keep pace with the orders received. Mr. Ramson is a native of Manchester, England, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1880 by the ship “Lutterworth,” which landed them at Auckland. He afterwards removed to New Plymouth, and started the present business in conjunction with Mr. Perry, whose interest he afterwards bought.