The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Hairdressers, Tobacconists, Etc
Hairdressers, Tobacconists, Etc.
Antiseptic Hairdressing Saloon (William Lints, proprietor), Devon Street East, New Plymouth. This business was established in the year 1906, and is conducted in a convenient shop. The saloon behind has two chairs, and is lighted with electric light, and fitted up with all the latest improvements. The latest antiseptic methods are adopted by Mr. Lints.
Mr. W. Lints.
Bullot, Arthur Bertrand, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Devon Street, New Plymouth. The business conducted by Mr. Bullot has been established for many years, and was acquired by him on the 15th of June, 1904. The establishment includes a shop, and a hairdressing saloon with two chairs.
Mr. Arthur Bertrand Bullot was born in December, 1882, in New Plymouth, where he was educated, and learned his trade under Mr. R. Terrill, whose business he afterwards bought. Mr. Bullot is a member of Court Waireka, Ancient Order of Foresters, and has been a member of the Tukapa Football Club.
Mr. H. Edwards.
Freeman, Walter (William H. Schlierike, manager), Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Egmont Hairdressing Saloon, Egmont Street, New Plymouth. The premises occupied by this business consist of part of a brick building, known as Freeman's Buildings, and contain a shop, a hairdressing saloon, with two chairs, and chess, draught and billiard rooms. Features of the business are ladies' hair work and ladies' hairdressing, and of the requisites of these branches the proprietor has the best assortment and display in the town.
Mr. W. H. Schlierike.
Robottom Brothers (Ernest Alfred Robottom and Sydney Herbert Robottom), Hairdressers and Tobacconists, Devon Street, New Plymouth. This business was founded by Mr. Stohr in the year 1893, and was taken over by the present proprietors on the 17th of April, 1903. The premises include a shop, and a hairdressing saloon with two chairs.
Mr. Ernest Alfred Robottom is a son of the late Mr. Alfred Thomas Robottom, of Ashburton, and was born in Christchurch in November, 1876. He was educated at the Normal School, and brought up to mercantile life. For about ten years he was in the office of the Ashburton Building Society, and resigned in order to join his brother in the present firm. Mr. Robottom is a member of the New Plymouth Boxing Association, the New Plymouth Junior Cricket Club, and the Tukapa Football Club. He is also an amateur photographer.
Mr. Sydney Herbert Robottom is a son of the late Mr. Thomas Robottom, and was born in Christchurch in the year 1874. He attended various schools and learned his trade under his father in Ashburton. Some years after Mr. Robottom went to Timaru for a time, and, later on, to Christchurch. In 1900 he removed to New Plymouth, and gained further experience of his trade before entering into partnership in business with his brother.