The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Coachbuilders and Wheelwrights
Coachbuilders and Wheelwrights.
Honnor and Clark (Henry Honnor and James Bruce), Coachbuilders and Wheelwrights, Liardet Street, New Plymouth. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. The business of this firm was established by Messrs Honnor and Clark in 1881, and Mr. Bruce joined the firm in 1892. Mr. Clark died in February, 1900, but his widow still retains his interest in the business. The premises comprise show rooms, which are well stocked with all descriptions of vehicles, and the workshops include a smithy and coach-building factory. A hydraulic engine drives the mechanical plant, which consists of sawing, drilling and other machines. From fourteen to eighteen men are employed in turning out all descriptions of vehicles, from light gigs and buggies to heavy drays and waggons. The firm makes a specialty of solid rubber tyres on light wheels.
Mr. Henry Honnor, Senior Partner, was born at New Plymouth, where he was educated and learned his trade. He has been an Oddfellow for a number of years.
Mr. James Bruce, Junior Partner, is a native of Scotland, and arrived in Auckland with his parents when eleven years old; and in that town he afterwards learned his trade with his brother. In 1879, he removed to New Plymouth, where he worked at the big forge at the harbour works for fourteen years, and became a partner in the present business in 1892. Mr. Bruce superintends the smithy branch of the firm's work.
Mr. Edward Thomas Clark, sometime a partner in the firm of Honnor and Clark, was a native of Bury St. Edmunds, England, and came to Nelson in 1874, by the barque “Hannibal,” and from Nelson he went immediately to New Plymouth. After being engaged in occupations connected with his trade, he joined Mr. Honnor in 1881. Mr. Clark died during the month of February in the year 1900.