Maisey, John Arthur,
Architect, Phoenix Chambers, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Mr. Maisey was born in the year 1860 in Birmingham, England, where he was educated, and afterwards studied for his profession. He subsequently practised in Birmingham on his own account. Mr. Maisey came to New Zealand in 1884, and landed in Auckland, where he remained for three years. He then went to Australia, and was in Sydney for nine years. Mr. Maisey finally returned to New Zealand, and in the year 1897 settled in New Plymouth, where he designed many town and country residences, including the New Plymouth Exhibition building of 1904. He afterwards removed to Wellington, where he is now (1906) practising his profession. Mr. Maisey married a daughter of Mr. Joseph Ambury in 1882, and has five sons and four daughters.
Architect, Brougham Street, New Plymouth. Private residence, Cameron Street. Mr. Messenger is a son of Colonel Messenger, and was born in the year 1865. He was educated in New Plymouth,
and served articles with Mr. H. J. T. Edmonds, architect, with whom he remained four years; after that he went to Melbourne, and was with Messrs Oakden and Kemp, the well known architects, for ten years. In 1893 he returned to New Plymouth, and shortly afterwards commenced practice. Mr. Messenger has designed many of the residences in New Plymouth and the surrounding districts. He is an enthusiastic rifle shot and volunteer, and is a lieutenant in the Taranaki Guards. In Australia he was a member of the Melbourne Rifle Club, and took part in all the chief meetings, and some years ago made the second highest score in the international match at Adelaide. During his residence in Melbourne, Mr. Messenger was in the militia for four years, and in the Field Artillery for two years.
Sole, Thomas Gore,
Licensed Surveyor, Devon Street, New Plymouth. Private residence at Te Henui. Mr. Sole is a son of Mr. Thomas Sole, a pioneer colonist, and was born in New Plymouth. In 1875 he entered the service of the Provincial Government
as a cadet in the Survey Department, and passed the necessary examinations at the end of his cadetship, four years later. Mr. Sole joined Mr. Skinner in 1881, and carried on business with him as a surveyor for nine years, during which he was entrusted with the survey of various railway routes in Taranaki. In 1890 the firm dissolved partnership, and Mr. Sole began farming, but some years later he re-entered the business of his profession. Mr. Sole takes great interest in temperance matters, and has held several offices in the Taranaki Band of Hope. He has been a member of the licensing committee, and as a member of the Rechabites has been through all the chairs. Mr. Sole is married, and has five children.