The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Daily News was founded as a weekly newspaper in New Plymouth, in the year 1857. Its first editor was the late Mr. Charles Brown, who was succeeded by the late Mr. Benjamin Wells, and later on the editorial chair was filled by the late Mr. J. Whiteley King, a grandson of the Rev. John Whiteley. In 1883, it was issued as a daily paper with the title of the Daily News, and under the proprietorship of Mr. John McKenzie; the first editor of the daily paper was Mr. L. L. Norris, and Mr. W. A. King had charge of the machinery. Messrs Norris and King afterwards joined in partnership, and bought the property. They were succeeded in the proprietary by Messrs srs W. E. Simpson and W. J. Guerin, who conducted the paper for about three years. Mr. Simpson then sold his interest to his partner, who continued sole proprietor for two years. Ultimately the property was transferred to a public company, known as the Taranaki News Company, Limited, with the late Mr. J. Bellringer as chairman of directors. In 1896, Mr. W. J. Guerin was appointed editor, and occupied the chair for two years, when he gave place to Mr. A. Hooper, who edited it for one year. Mr. Hooper was succeeded by Mr. E. G. Allsworth. In 1903, the paper was bought by Mr. John Henry Clayton, who had previously been proprietor of the Stratford “Post. Mr. Clayton conducted the journal till 1905, when he sold out, and bought the”Tauranga Times.” In 1905 the “Daily News” became the property of Mr. Thomas Currie List, who had been about three years proprietor and editor of the “Waimate Witness,” and before then part proprietor of the “Petone Chronicle.” The original name of the paper, when it was first issued as a weekly, was the “Taranaki News,” and a weekly is still issued under the same name every Saturday morning. The weekly paper contains thirty-two pages, of four columns each, and the “Daily News,” published every morning, is a large four-page sheet.