Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]




The Taranaki Club was established in September, 1892, in Devon Street. In the year 1899, a fine new building of wood and iron was erected in Egmont Street. It contains seven rooms in addition to the stewards' quarters, including a reading room, a members' club room, a visitors' room, a fine well-lighted billiard room, with three excellent tables, and writing, card, and chess rooms, besides a bar, lavatory, etc. The Club has 180 members. Officers for the year 1906: Mr. O. Samuel (president), Dr. Leatham and Mr. N. King (vice-presidents), Dr. Wylie, Messrs L. M. Monteath, J. W. Wilson, W. J. Penn, and J. S. McKellar (committee), and Mr. W. L. Newman (honorary secretary). Mr. J. F. Lepine is steward in charge.

Mr. James Frederick Lepine, who has been Steward of the Taranaki Club since its inception, was
Mr. J. F. Lepine. Collis, photo.

Mr. J. F. Lepine. Collis, photo.

born in the year 1858, in Auckland, where he was educated. He afterwards learned tailoring, which he followed until 1886, when he was employed in connection with the Park Hotel, afterwards the Waitemata Hotel, in Auckland. Mr. Lepine subsequently settled in New Plymouth, and was appointed to his present position. He married a daughter of the late Mr. James Pask, of Feilding, in the year 1893, and has one daughter and three sons.


The Taranaki District Of The Ancient Order Of Foresters was constituted in the year 1883, with headquarters at New Plymouth. District officers for 1905: Brothers A. J. Tunbridge, District Chief Ranger; F. C. Bennett, District Sub-Chief Ranger; G. Braund, District Beadle; H. R. Cattley, District Treasurer, and C. Tunbridge, District Secretary. The District Court meets half-yearly, page 75 when a full report in connection with the Order is submitted. There are ten courts under the control of the district officers; namely, Taranaki, Waireka, Patea, Inglewood Forest, Raleigh, Egmont, Stratford, Pride of New Plymouth (female court), Fidelity (female court), and Opunake, The total receipts of the district for the year ending December, 1904, were: £2363 (sick and funeral), and £1673 (management); and the total value of the funds was £17,443. There is a membership of 1128.

Mr. Charles Tunbridge, District Secretary of the Ancient Order of Foresters for Taranaki, was born in June, 1845, at Plymouth, England. In the year 1860, he enlisted at Madras, India, in the 42nd Light Infantry. Three years later he came to New Zealand with his regiment, and
Collis, photo.Mr. C. Tunbridge.

Collis, photo.
Mr. C. Tunbridge.

was stationed at Otahuhu and the Queen's Redoubt, and afterwards at Tauranga; and he fought at the Gate Pa, and at New Plymouth. In 1866, the regiment returned to Portsmouth, England, and was stationed at Aldershot, afterwards at Jersey, and later on at Dublin, Fermoy, Kinsale, and Cork, where Mr. Tunbridge obtained his discharge, in 1873. Shortly afterwards he came again to New Zealand, and settled in New Plymouth. Soon after his arrival, he joined the Ancient Order of Foresters, on the 29th of December, 1873, and, four years later, became secretary of his Lodge. Mr. Tunbridge was employed for many years in the hardware, and wine and spirit trades, and later on was employed by Mr. John Abbot, tinsmith. He retired from business life in 1901. He was a sergeant of the Taranaki Bush Rangers in 1874. Mr. Tunbridge married a daughter of the late Mr. John Hutchings, of Jersey, in the year 1868, and has, surviving, five sons and five daughters.

Court Waireka, Ancient Order of Foresters, is the largest court in connection with the Taranaki district. In the year 1904, there was a membership of 374, and the accumulated funds amounted to £5725. Officers for 1905: Messrs W. Sadler, Chief Ranger; C. Boulter, Sub-Chief Ranger; A. Goldwater, treasurer; and C. Tunbridge, secretary. The Taranaki Hall, in Gill Street, where periodical meetings are held, has accommodation for about 400 persons, and was built jointly by Courts Taranaki and Waireka, in the year 1883.

Court Taranaki, Ancient Order of Foresters, Number 4356, dates from the year 1852. Officers for 1906: Messrs A. McKeown, Chief Ranger; J. Way, Senior Chief Ranger: H. R. Cattley, treasurer; and E. E. Tribe, secretary. The Court has a hall in Gill Street, a wood and iron building with seats for 250 persons. It was erected in 1893, at a cost of £750. The Court has 107 members, and its accumulated funds amount to £5,100.

Friendly Society.

The New Plymouth Friendly Society has a membership of eighty-six, and substantial benefits are granted in the event of sickness or death. The accumulated funds amount to about £2000, which is invested in freehold property. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs N. Golding (president), J. Kenyon (treasurer), C. T. Mills (secretary), and an annually elected board of eight members. Meetings are held on the fourth Saturday of each month, in King Street.

Mr. Nicholas Golding, President of the New Plymouth Friendly Society, was born in Ireland, on the 12th of December, 1817. He joined the 65th Regiment in Plymouth in 1841; six years later was sent to Hohart as a guard over convicts, and was promoted to the rank of sergeant. He came to New Zealand in October, 1847, as supercargo, and was the only soldier on board. After landing his stores, he remained in Wellington until the year 1851, when he was ordered to England. Three years later, he again came to New Zealand as a member of the 65th Regiment, and landed in Auckland. After ten months' service, Mr. Golding was sent to Taranaki to rejoin the 65th Regiment, with which he served until the 7th of February, 1863. On taking his discharge, he received a presentation from his comrades. Mr. Golding took part in the fight at Waireka, and in several engagements at Waitara. He subsequently joined the militia as sergeant, and served for twenty years under the Colonial Government. Mr. Golding received the good conduct medal, and also the New Zealand war medal. For a period he acted as
Collis, photo.Mr. N. Golding and Son.

Collis, photo.
Mr. N. Golding and Son.

bailiff at the Magistrate's Court, and was for fifteen years first warder of H.M. Gaol at New Plymouth. Mr. Golding has been a member of the New Plymouth Friendly Society since its inception; he is also a Past District Chief Ranger of the Order of Foresters, and is now (1906) the only survivor of the original members of the Order in New Plymouth. Mr. Golding has been twice married, on the first occasion before he left England. Mrs Golding died in January, 1875, leaving three daughters. Mr. Golding re-married in December, 1876, and has one son, who is further referred to as an organist, in New Plymouth.


The Taranaki Poultry, Pigeon and Canary Society was established in the year 1888. Officers for 1906: Messrs R. Cock (patron), G. H. Morgan (president), E. Griffith, J. Hurle, and J. Paton (vice-presideats), E. P. Webster (secretary and treasurer), and a committee of seven. Shows are held annually in the Drill page 76 Hall, New Plymouth, about the end of each year. The show held in 1905 was a financial success, and a very large number of exhibits were on view. The society has accumulated about 500 pens.


The Taranaki Jockey Club was founded in the early seventies, and its principal race, the Taranaki Cup, in the year 1876. Officers for the year 1905–06: Mr. J. Paul (president, Captain Mace, N.Z.C., (vice-president, Mr. J. F. Stohr (timekeeper), A. A. Budge (judge), J. Chadwick (handicapper), Colonel Ellis (honorary treasurer), and M. Fleetwood (secretary); also a strong committee, and a number of stewards. The racecourse, which is about a mile from the centre of the borough, and adjoins the well known Recreation Grounds, contains twenty-live acres of freehold, and thirty-five acres of racecourse and recreation reserve. The improvements consist of a large grand stand, which has seat room for 700 persons, and was erected in 1903 at a cost of £1700. In front and on each side of the grandstand there is an asphalt platform, which gives additional seat accommodation. The ground includes four grass tracks for training purposes, and also a ploughed track in addition to the racecourse. The latter is nearly a mile round, with a six chain curve, and the training tracks are within. The club has about one hundred members, and two race meetings are held every year. The Christmas meeting is devoted specially to hack racing, and takes place on Boxing Day, and the day following; the amount of added money at this gathering is over £1,100. The club's principal meeting is in autumn, and is usually held on the 29th and 30th of March. The added money at this meeting amounts to nearly £1700. The principal event, the Taranaki Cup, is a handicap race of 300 sovereigns.

Mr. Mussell Fleetwood has acted as Secretary of the Taranaki Jockey Club since 1899. He was born in Wiltshire, England, has been a colonist since 1862, and has long been prominently connected with racing in Taranaki.


The Taranaki Agricultural Society (Metropolitan)) was established on the 24th of June, 1872. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs H. Brown (patron), N. King (president), H. J. H. Okey, W. Ambury, and H. King, (vice-presidents), Captain Young (honorary veterinary surgeon), and E. P. Webster (secretary). There is also a general committee of twenty-five members, who are annually elected in the month of January. The shows are held on the Taranaki Jockey Club racecourse, about the end of November or the beginning of December in each year. The racecourse is well laid out, and admirably adapted for the purpose. The total entries in the year 1904 numbered 670. The value of prize money paid over was about £300, and there was a total attendance of 4000 persons. In 1905, the society increased the time allotted to the show, to two days, and the prize money was also materially increased. Stock of all kinds are exhibited, including horses, cattle, sheep, pigs, and dogs. The dairy produce department is a feature of the show, and the dairy cow competition is one of the most important in the colony. The cows are judged on the Canadian method. The animals are milked twice successively, and the amount of butter fat is accurately tested, so as to form an important factor in the judging.

Mr. Edward Percy Webster, Secretary of the Taranaki Agricultural Society, was born in the year 1874, in New Plymouth, where he was educated. He subsequently joined the staff of
Collis, photo.Mr. E. P. Webster.

Collis, photo.
Mr. E. P. Webster.

the National Bank of New Zealand in New Plymouth, and afterwards served as sub-accountant at the Christ-church branch of the bank. He served also at Wanganui and Stratford, but retired from the service to become a member of the firm of Bauchope and Webster.

The Taranaki Acclimatisation Society was founded in the year 1872. The district under its jurisdiction extends from Mokau in the north to the head waters of the Wanganui river in the east, and the Taungatara river in the south. Hawera and Stratford have similar societies. The Taranaki Society has eight rearing ponds in the New Plymouth Recreation Grounds. The fry are obtained from the hatcheries at Masterton and Hawera, and after being reared in the Recreation Grounds, the fish are liberated in the rivers. About 23,000 fish were handled in the season of 1905. Some years ago Taranaki was a great place for shooting, and there are still pheasants and quail available for sportsmen, though they are not so numerous as in former years. The revenue of the Society is derived from shooting and fishing licenses and subscriptions. Officers: Messrs W. L. Newman (president), J. Paul, G. Mannering, J. E. Wilson, J. Gibson, junior, H. Newland, and W. Bewley.

Mr. Duncan McAllum, Secretary and Treasurer of the Taranaki Acclimatisation Society, is referred to in another article as an insurance and general agent.

The New Plymouth Horticultural Society was established in the year 1884. Shows are held twice annually in the Drill Hall; the spring show in November, and the autumn show in March. There is a membership of 200. Officers for the year 1906: Mr. J. C. George (president), Mr. E. Gilmour (secretary and treasurer), and a committee of twenty. The spring show is a creditable exhibition, and is well supported by the general public, and nurserymen who reside long distances from New Plymouth also send exhibits.

Mr. Everard Gilmour, Secretary and Treasurer of the New Plymouth Horticultural Society, was born in the year 1878 at Raglan. He was educated at Waitara and New Plymouth, and served for twelve years as accountant in the office of Mr. Corkill, before entering business on his own account, as a member of the firm of Gilmour and Pattie, land and estate agents. Mr. Gilmour was a member of the Taranaki Rifles for five years, and is secretary of the Taranaki Trotting Club.

The Taranaki Scenery Preservation Society was established in 1891 to preserve native scenery, and places of historic interest. It has already been successful in promoting the preservation of large areas of historic and scenic land, and the sites of native pas and military redoubts immediately associated with the troubled page 77 times of the Maori war. The operations of the Society have helped also to bring about the setting up of a commission, which may end in the establishment of a Government Scenery Department. Grants of money have been made by the Government, and many private subscriptions have been given to the Society. Considerable sums of money have already been spent in fencing in beauty spots and famous Maori pas and old military redoubts. Officers of the Society: Messrs W. H. Skinner (president) G. W. Govett (vice-president), F. Simpson (Commissioner of Crown Lands), and a committee of seven, with Mr. W. A. Collis as secretary and treasurer.

Mr. William Henry Skinner, President of the Taranaki Scenery Preservation Society, is a civil servant, who has long been connected with the Lands Department. He joined the service in Taranaki in 1872.