Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



The Taranaki District Of The Ancient Order Of Foresters was constituted in the year 1883, with headquarters at New Plymouth. District officers for 1905: Brothers A. J. Tunbridge, District Chief Ranger; F. C. Bennett, District Sub-Chief Ranger; G. Braund, District Beadle; H. R. Cattley, District Treasurer, and C. Tunbridge, District Secretary. The District Court meets half-yearly, page 75 when a full report in connection with the Order is submitted. There are ten courts under the control of the district officers; namely, Taranaki, Waireka, Patea, Inglewood Forest, Raleigh, Egmont, Stratford, Pride of New Plymouth (female court), Fidelity (female court), and Opunake, The total receipts of the district for the year ending December, 1904, were: £2363 (sick and funeral), and £1673 (management); and the total value of the funds was £17,443. There is a membership of 1128.

Mr. Charles Tunbridge, District Secretary of the Ancient Order of Foresters for Taranaki, was born in June, 1845, at Plymouth, England. In the year 1860, he enlisted at Madras, India, in the 42nd Light Infantry. Three years later he came to New Zealand with his regiment, and
Collis, photo.Mr. C. Tunbridge.

Collis, photo.
Mr. C. Tunbridge.

was stationed at Otahuhu and the Queen's Redoubt, and afterwards at Tauranga; and he fought at the Gate Pa, and at New Plymouth. In 1866, the regiment returned to Portsmouth, England, and was stationed at Aldershot, afterwards at Jersey, and later on at Dublin, Fermoy, Kinsale, and Cork, where Mr. Tunbridge obtained his discharge, in 1873. Shortly afterwards he came again to New Zealand, and settled in New Plymouth. Soon after his arrival, he joined the Ancient Order of Foresters, on the 29th of December, 1873, and, four years later, became secretary of his Lodge. Mr. Tunbridge was employed for many years in the hardware, and wine and spirit trades, and later on was employed by Mr. John Abbot, tinsmith. He retired from business life in 1901. He was a sergeant of the Taranaki Bush Rangers in 1874. Mr. Tunbridge married a daughter of the late Mr. John Hutchings, of Jersey, in the year 1868, and has, surviving, five sons and five daughters.

Court Waireka, Ancient Order of Foresters, is the largest court in connection with the Taranaki district. In the year 1904, there was a membership of 374, and the accumulated funds amounted to £5725. Officers for 1905: Messrs W. Sadler, Chief Ranger; C. Boulter, Sub-Chief Ranger; A. Goldwater, treasurer; and C. Tunbridge, secretary. The Taranaki Hall, in Gill Street, where periodical meetings are held, has accommodation for about 400 persons, and was built jointly by Courts Taranaki and Waireka, in the year 1883.

Court Taranaki, Ancient Order of Foresters, Number 4356, dates from the year 1852. Officers for 1906: Messrs A. McKeown, Chief Ranger; J. Way, Senior Chief Ranger: H. R. Cattley, treasurer; and E. E. Tribe, secretary. The Court has a hall in Gill Street, a wood and iron building with seats for 250 persons. It was erected in 1893, at a cost of £750. The Court has 107 members, and its accumulated funds amount to £5,100.