Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



The Taranaki Club was established in September, 1892, in Devon Street. In the year 1899, a fine new building of wood and iron was erected in Egmont Street. It contains seven rooms in addition to the stewards' quarters, including a reading room, a members' club room, a visitors' room, a fine well-lighted billiard room, with three excellent tables, and writing, card, and chess rooms, besides a bar, lavatory, etc. The Club has 180 members. Officers for the year 1906: Mr. O. Samuel (president), Dr. Leatham and Mr. N. King (vice-presidents), Dr. Wylie, Messrs L. M. Monteath, J. W. Wilson, W. J. Penn, and J. S. McKellar (committee), and Mr. W. L. Newman (honorary secretary). Mr. J. F. Lepine is steward in charge.

Mr. James Frederick Lepine, who has been Steward of the Taranaki Club since its inception, was
Mr. J. F. Lepine. Collis, photo.

Mr. J. F. Lepine. Collis, photo.

born in the year 1858, in Auckland, where he was educated. He afterwards learned tailoring, which he followed until 1886, when he was employed in connection with the Park Hotel, afterwards the Waitemata Hotel, in Auckland. Mr. Lepine subsequently settled in New Plymouth, and was appointed to his present position. He married a daughter of the late Mr. James Pask, of Feilding, in the year 1893, and has one daughter and three sons.