The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Methodist Church Of Australasia
The Methodist Church Of Australasia, formerly known as the Wesleyan Methodist Church, has been represented in New Plymouth from the earliest days of settlement. The principal church of the district, named the Whiteley Memorial Church, was erected in the year 1898. It stands on the corner of Liardet Street and Courtenay Street occupies an elevated position, and is a distinctive object in the landscape. The building is of wood and iron, and has seat accommodation for six hundred persons. In the very early days services were held in a raupo church, built in Brougham Street, but in 1843 the congregation took possession of a new stone church in Courtenay Street; afterwards the present site was secured, and the church which was built became known as Whiteley Hall. Services are held in the surrounding districts, especially at King and Upland, Lower Egmont, Carrington, Frankley Road, Bell, Okato, and other settlements.